Need Help with a conversation on Scripture

*I need some advice on how to deal with the conversation below.
I have had conversations in the past with “Initial Facebook Poster” and he tends to be contentious for contentiousness sake. The “Former Catholic” seems sincere in his belief. Anything you could contribute would be appreciated.

God Bless.*

Initial Facebook Poster:
I can’t believe they gave Obama the Noble Peace Prize. After all, Jesus said, “I did not come to bring peace, but a sword!” ahem
NewCatholic1207**
I realize even commenting is tantamount to banging my head against the wall BUT…

Once again a “convenient” misunderstanding of what Christ said leads to inane ramblings such as this…

Initial Facebook Poster
By all means enlighten me:

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man… Read More’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.”

How would you interpret these “inane ramblings” of your suicidal sage?

Former Catholic
LOL … It has always been interesting to me that the only time Jesus gets pissed, and acts violently is when he kicks the asses of the “money lenders” in the Temple. And yet, the ones evoking his name today ARE the money lenders!

So what does the quote Initial Facebook Poster sites mean? It means this:

“A man of knowledge is free … He has no honor, no dignity, no family, no home, no country, but only life to be lived”. Carlos Castaneda… Read More

One can not understand the creator if one has ANY attachments, because the creator is free from judgment.

NewCatholic1207
One word…HYPERBOLE. But you know this, or you should.

Why a sword, why divided? Because of principle. Living by principles would result in no division if everyone agreed to the same principles, but the fact is that they don’t. What Christ was saying was that living by Christian principles will inevitably cause divisions, even within your own family.

Former Catholic
I know that Jesus was born 500+ years after the Buddha and ALL of his disciples knew of that life and discovery. He knew that it was “attachment” that was the path to suffering.

NewCatholic1207
Interesting. However, I would say Mr. Castaneda may have done too much peyote.

I would put it this way, “So whoever is in Christ is a new creation: the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come. And all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting their trespasses against them and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. So we are ambassadors for Christ, as if God were appealing through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God”. -2 Cor 5:17-20

A man of knowledge, of his OWN knowledge, is nothing…
I totally agree with the principle of detachment from worldly things. That is what Christ taught (not influenced by Buddha, as God is not influenced by humans) and one of the primary reasons that what Christ brought would be divisive in a world of materialism.

Initial Facebook Poster
It’s a rather significant faux pas for Yahwist-tinged words to be spewing from the mouth of the revered Pacifist. If only God had the foresight to see the unresolved conjecture those words have caused within the so-called Christian community 2000 years later, maybe He would have stopped showing off with literary devices and actually written a concise and clear book instead.
Former Catholic**
“I would say Mr. Castaneda may have done too much peyote.” - Hahahahahahahaha … And the early Christians didn’t?

I want to be transparent with you, because I think you are a thoughtful person. I was baptized, received holy communion, was confirmed and went on to years of catechism lessons with Jesuit brothers trying to get me into the seminary. I do not speak of these things casually.

“Christ” is a construct of people living 30-100 years after Jesus’s death who never met him. “Christianity” as it is defined today is a creation of Emperor Constantine. I’ve read all the gnostic gospels, and just because Rome chose those 4 to build this church does not make them the thoughts of Jesus (If such a man ever existed

"So we are ambassadors for Christ … "

I recognize no “savior”, and I am an ambassador for the path of Jesus.

“(not influenced by Buddha, as God is not influenced by humans)”

I recognize no such duality. You are writing to God right now, and so am I. I only believe in “one” soul. I believe that is what Jesus was really saying. “The kingdom of God is here! It is within you”.

Former Catholic
“maybe He would have stopped showing off with literary devices and actually written a concise and clear book instead.”

LOL. Don’t get me started on that book.

Initial Facebook Poster**
1 John 4:8 “God is love”
Deut. 4:24 “God is jealous”
1 Cor. 13:4 “Love is never jealous.”
= God is love and jealous, but love (God) is not jealous.
… Read More
The Bible’s a racket.

Its odd Buddhist type people assume gnostics were authentic, perhaps because there were gnostic type sects in India atleast 1100 years ago denying the physical world.

The sword as Jesus uses it is an expression for division as Matthew says in ch 10.

The gnostics were considered heretics even in the gospel were Paul and John seem to address their heresies such as denying Jesus came in the flesh. Paul once writes condemns “so called gnosis.” The Christians in the 1st and 2nd Centuries quote the gospels and Paul. Constantine only legalized Christianity, we have writings, popes, bishops prior.

According to ST Irenaus the gnostics did not even claim apostolic succession.

Deut. 4:24 “God is jealous”<----in hebrew this can mean “zealous” as some JEwish bibles state.

FWIW, I would not bother to engage the conversation. Neither poster appears to be actually interested in a conversation (which implies both speaking and listening. Each has his own agenda and sees this as an opportunity to show of his “superior” knowledge and possibly score some points by tweaking the “ignorant believer.”

JMHO

NHInsider,

I know. Logically I know that is the case. But the originating poster is the brother of a close friend and every time I tell myself I’m not going to defend the Faith against his obvious absurdities, I find myself doing it.

Thanks for the reality check, but please keep him in your prayers.

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.