Need help with an anti-Catholic site

Okay,

I feel like a chump because yesterday I posted (see “Yipee”) that my discussions with an evangelical hospise chaplain (who is supposed to serve in a non-denominational role) had gone well and he agreed to pull his “Bible Study for Dedicated Catholics” off his website. He left my house saying he understood what I was saying and that he had not fully understood some Catholic doctrines. He vowed to visit Catholic Answers or buy a catechism and read for himself what the church really teaches. He was not able to defend many of his own doctrines when presented with context or with verses to the contrary. He agreed to stop judging the church based on experiences he had had with uninformed Catholics who couldn’t adequately defend the faith.

THEN just recently I checked my e-mail and see that he has retracted. I think he leaves feeling defeated by our conversation (guided by the holy Spirit) and wants to have the last word. He started up a new level of attacks basing them on the same silly premises, such as “I know Catholics who believe this” or “the church is the whore of Babylon”. Here’s a quote from his e-mail, “I went on line under Google “Latin to English” and checked out what he [his friend] had to say about the word Vatican meaning witchcraft or soothsaying. The root word Vati in Latin does mean that.”

My concern is that he is actively making his ridiculous quiz available to his hospise patients, some of them Catholic, by providing them with “stories” that he writes, which end with a link to his website. While he claims to keep his personal views separate from his professional, how hard is it for a patient or his family to visit the site. After all, that is how I found it. Please visit Timothy Cross (his pen name) at www.4seekers.com and see how awful his “Bible Study for Dedicated Catholics” is. Make sure you only do so, though, if you are grounded in your apologetics. Then join me in dropping him e-mails of complaint through the address at his site. My hope is to let him see how many knowledgeable Catholics there are and to let him see how offensive his study is. I think the best strategy, by the way, is to counter as many of his arguments as possible, preferably by showing him how erroneous the wording is and decietful the proof-texting is.

Best,
Spencer

Spencer, you are right to try to correct this beloved separated brother. It sounds like you have been patient and respectful with him.

As a convert who personally struggled with my own Protestant mindset, I am guessing that his biggest problem right now is FEAR. The real enemy is satan who wants to keep us fighting and in a state of disunity, and he and his minions will put up a fight. Pray the St. Michael prayer often for this man, the website and his “Bible Study for Catholics”. I pray that he will not be able to deceive any more people, especially at the end of their lives (his hospice patients).

You lovingly showed him the truth, and it is up to him to decide whether to believe it or not. Don’t get discouraged. This battle is the Lord’s!!

peace–
magdalisa

For those who might have trouble finding it… its uder the eading “For Believers.”

Well, I sent my eamil to him! I tried to be as charitable as possible but I’m not sure I did so good. I got my point across though! Lord knows what I’ll get in return!
I’ll let you know what answer I get - if any! This should be interesting!

[quote=DianJo]Well, I sent my eamil to him! I tried to be as charitable as possible but I’m not sure I did so good. I got my point across though! Lord knows what I’ll get in return!
I’ll let you know what answer I get - if any! This should be interesting!

[/quote]

I like wise sent one. It’s only a matter if he even responds.

Sending my reply now. Also, did you notice that his main quote on the site is from Peter Kreeft? Do you think they realize he’s a Catholic philosopher, and professor at BC (a Catholic university)?!?

Irony.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]Sending my reply now. Also, did you notice that his main quote on the site is from Peter Kreeft? Do you think they realize he’s a Catholic philosopher, and professor at BC (a Catholic university)?!?

Irony.

God Bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

He’s even told me himself that he admires Peter, who helped him edit a booklet he put out once. He gave me a Peter Kreeft booklet, which is not heavy on the Catholic doctrine, so “Timothy” might think that Kreeft is a “protestant at heart”. I think the better question is, if Peter Kreeft has helped him edit and they remain friends, does Peter know what kind of nonsense is on this site. Thanks to all who responded to him. Of course, prayer is our most valuable tool, but he needs to understand that we are deeply offended by this. I truly believe he is a good, but misguided person at heart.

[quote=awfulthings9]…if Peter Kreeft has helped him edit and they remain friends, does Peter know what kind of nonsense is on this site…
[/quote]

You should write him and ask…

Dr. Kreeft has elected not to receive questions through the site; however, other comments or suggestions can be directed to the webmaster, Dave Nevins.

davenevins.com or // kreeft3@davenevins.com

May God bless you and keep you,
RyanL

I sent an e-mail too. I included links to Scripture Catholic for each of the points that he raised (except for the ones that I labelled condescending). I wonder if anyone will get a response?

[quote=Eden]I sent an e-mail too. I included links to Scripture Catholic for each of the points that he raised (except for the ones that I labelled condescending). I wonder if anyone will get a response?
[/quote]

DOH! I used quite a bit of www.scripturecatholic.com for my response! Oh, well…I suppose if he looks, I’ll be busted…

I don’t see anything with that title on the site right now.

RyanL - Great minds think alike :whacky: . Oh well! It will be a “Scripture Catholic” sandwich! He can’t ignore that! .

BTW - Has the Catholicism piece been removed? I don’t see it on there anymore. Wasn’t it under “For Believers”? :confused:

Yes, the study appears to have been pulled. He actually e-mailed me last night saying that he would do so “for the time being.” Thanks to all who helped. I don’t know if he responded to any of you, but I know our prayers are more powerful than e-mails anyway. God bless and good work.

No response to me, but I’ll let you know…

Praise be to God,
RyanL

[quote=awfulthings9]Yes, the study appears to have been pulled. He actually e-mailed me last night saying that he would do so “for the time being.” Thanks to all who helped. I don’t know if he responded to any of you, but I know our prayers are more powerful than e-mails anyway. God bless and good work.
[/quote]

I haven’t received a response either. Amazing how quickly it was pulled!

Ryan…have pulled my web site off for the time being…will respond when I have more time…thanks for your honesty in contacting me!

In Him,

Bart

Such was the response I received.

God Bless,
RyanL

My response was similar.

have temporarily pulled my Catholic paper off the internet until I can do some more research…will try to reply when I have more time. Thanks for your concerns…well taken!

Hey all, Timothy and I just exchanged some e-mails. He has calmed down some. He was concerned about having received some “hot” e-mails from you, but I explained to him how passionately we feel about correcting those who misrepresent our faith. He said he is swamped now but would try to respond to each of you when he could. Thank you for the good work. For now, I told him we both need to spend some time in prayer and get back together later. Keep him in your prayers and be gentle with him if he responds with respect - I feel that the holy Spirit has made some breakthroughs with Timothy and hopefully we can all soon feel blessed to have been God’s tool in bringing another seperate brother closer to a fullness of the truth.
-Spencer

I’ll pray for him, too. His response shows that he is interested in truth and that he was not intentionally misrepresenting the Catholic faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.