Need help with helping..again

I know I ask these kinds of questions way too often.

Can anyone suggest any advice or scripture that might be helpful to a wonderful man I know who just attempted suicide (came darn near to succeeding to)?

Does he believe in an afterlife? Have you asked him whether he wants to end up on the right side or the wrong side? A few of the saints also considered suicide: Jonah as well as Elijah. I can look up those bible verses if they might help. There may have not been much difference between Judas and Peter (Bishop of Rome) except that Peter got back up and carried his cross. These writings may also help: The Way of the Cross by St. Josemaria Escriva escrivaworks.org/book/the_way_of_the_cross-point-4.htm

This is my favourite piece of scripture
John.1

1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2] He was in the beginning with God;
3] all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
4] In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
5] The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7] He came for testimony, to bear witness to the light, that all might believe through him.
8] He was not the light, but came to bear witness to the light.
9] The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world.
10] He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world knew him not.
11] He came to his own home, and his own people received him not.
12] But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God;
13] who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
14] And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.
15] (John bore witness to him, and cried, “This was he of whom I said, `He who comes after me ranks before me, for he was before me.’”)
16] And from his fulness have we all received, grace upon grace.
17] For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
18] No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.

But I would just tell him that Jesus loves him so much he died for him.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

I don’t know what words would help. I can think of quotes but he needs something more radical I think
Caring and assurance of caring for him.
For him to feel loved and valued.

My next Mass is for him.

Can you tell me why the person try to suicide ,what is the problem that makes him to do suicide? Please explain it clearly so that we can help him.

earn money from home
flights to vancouver
Brazil Packages

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world,as to give his only begotten Son; that whowoever believeth in him, many not perish, but may have life everlasting.’

“Be not afraid”

John 18:9 "As the Father hath loved me, I also have loved you. Abide in my love.

He didn’t say exactly. It was one of those things, I think, where a lot of things gradually led up to it. He’s had a very hard life and is, in his own words, “at an end.” He’s like me in that he gives to others what he wishes he could give himself, but despite his kindness and generosity, he just doesn’t believe in himself. He has so much to give the world, so much to offer. It just tears me up that he can’t see in himself what I and so many others see all the time.

Life has its ups and downs, and the down times are only temporary, even though it may not seem that way. Often, the hard times in our lives, when things seem hopeless, are really opportunities to learn valuable lessons such as humility, dependence on God, the value of prayer, or to learn how to help others who are suffering. In times when things seem the worst, we can be sure that God loves us more than ever.

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. (NIV, Luke 12:6-7 )
"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it shall be opened. "Or what man is there among you, when his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone? "Or if he shall ask for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him! (NAS, Matthew 7:8-11)

from twopaths.com/faq_suicide.htm

Basically any verse about how God loves us could help your friend, and you should check out some of the Psalms too, maybe reading them would help him. :slight_smile:

I just flipped through the Psalm book and I think that Psalm 121 could be appropriate for your friend’s situation:

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;

4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;

8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

:thumbsup:

=Marycruz;4946035]from twopaths.com/faq_suicide.htm
Basically any verse about how God loves us could help your friend, and you should check out some of the Psalms too, maybe reading them would help him. :slight_smile:

This is wonderful! Thank you so much:) !

Please, if he hasn’t already, encourage him to seek professional help. Someone who attempts suicide is in need of a good therapist and doc. Suicide can be a cry for help. Please help him get it.

In my prayers

Peace,
Linda

There is a website called “Metanoia” for people who are feeling suicidal.

Also an advice I have heard before is this: Tell him to wait for now. If he still feels the same way in 6 months or whatver, he could if he really wanted to STILL end his life (not to recommend it, but he could). But if he takes his life now he can’t reverse that again.

We NEVER know what will be a year from now. Things can turn around so suddenly. I ahve experienced this myself, more than once.

It is also good I guess for somebody who tends to get very depressed to have numbers to call ready, friends or hotlines or whatever, as well as a list with things that can help, things he can maybe enjoy in this life.

And tell him to pray and that you’ll pray too. :slight_smile: I’ll say a prayerr too right now.

Kathrin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.