Need help with Tai Chi

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows about tai chi and whether it is okay to do if one is Catholic. I know some religious sisters who like to go to classes. Is this in the same category as yoga? Some things I have read say it’s a form of martial arts that focuses on balancing inner chi but I’m not sure if it can be done without regard to this aspect. I asked this question to the apologist but they apparently didn’t care to answer (second time that has happened :frowning: ) so any answers will be very much appreciated. Thank You

No, this in incompatible with catholicism. This is a New Age practice which is based on eastern religions, incorporating meditation practices to balance chi (life force). They ultimately attempt to become one with the universal spirit. It’s opening you up to evil or opening the door to the devil as a catholic.

Many religious have gone off the New Age “deep end” and need our prayers.

Read the book Unicorn in the Sanctuary by Randy England.

It’s useful for understanding New Age.

I feel also that it is not compatible (I would never do it myself) but can't find any writings with a Catholic perspective.

A counselor at the St. Pio Center for Spiritual Warfare wrote this about Tai Chi in a response on a Q&A forum:

There are some martial arts forms out there, such as Tai Chi and Aikido, that should most definitely be avoided (I know of at least one client of ours who was demonized as a result of participating in Tai Chi). Other forms, such as Karate and Kung Fu, might be okay if and only if they are taught without the meditative, mystical or philosophical aspects - even subtly - and as long as the movements do not lead to a meditative state or an altered state. Yoga, by the way, fails this test.

Source: saint-mike.org/qa/sw/viewanswer.asp?QID=707

[quote="miniquedoes, post:3, topic:178795"]
I feel also that it is not compatible (I would never do it myself) but can't find any writings with a Catholic perspective.

[/quote]

*Unicorn in the Sanctuary: The Impact of the New Age in the Catholic Church *gives a good explanation of why it is not compatible to catholic teaching. It leads to and has lead to people opening the door to the devil. Some have become possessed by tampering with these practices.

Thanks for the helpful answers. What scares me is that I know many nuns who do this stuff...not to mention yoga, reiki, enneagram :( I don't know what to do when I hear them talking about how great Tai Chi is or how yoga is so helpful.

Dihydrogen Oxide, I actually know what that is :D I taught high school chem

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:2, topic:178795"]
No, this in incompatible with catholicism. This is a New Age practice which is based on eastern religions, incorporating meditation practices to balance chi (life force). They ultimately attempt to become one with the universal spirit. It's opening you up to evil or opening the door to the devil as a catholic.

Many religious have gone off the New Age "deep end" and need our prayers.

Read the book Unicorn in the Sanctuary by Randy England.

It's useful for understanding New Age.

[/quote]

You are wrong. I know priests who practice Tai Chi every day. With any spiritual aspect taken out it is simply a good way of getting exercise. It is not forbidden by the Church.

By the way Tai Chi is not New Age. Its an old Chinese matrial art.

Thanks for the helpful answers. What scares me is that I know many nuns who do this stuff…not to mention yoga, reiki, enneagram I don’t know what to do when I hear them talking about how great Tai Chi is or how yoga is so helpful.

I agree. It’s very creepy. This explains why many orders of religious sisters are having a crisis in vocations right now. Pray for them.

Dihydrogen Oxide, I actually know what that is I taught high school chem

All right! Me too! high five :yyeess:

You are wrong. I know priests who practice Tai Chi every day. With any spiritual aspect taken out it is simply a good way of getting exercise. It is not forbidden by the Church.

By the way Tai Chi is not New Age. Its an old Chinese matrial art.

Read what beckycmarie said above. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The parish down the road actually teaches it as a parish activity one per week! What can be done about this? Why isn’t all this eastern pantheistic dangerous stuff (Father Keating, centering prayer, yoga, tai chi, etc) just overtly identified and condemned by the Magisterium? Its so frustrating!

I know that a lot of people say they do tai chi or yoga for just the exercise and not the spirituality…but these practices were developed in order to serve spirits, deities or forces other than God. The entire construction of the movements is done in a way that serves a purpose, and that is a non-Christian spiritual purpose. It is like playing a Ouija board just for “fun” and not to actually contact spirits. The instrument is there. Our bodies are also instruments of worship, just as we can bow before God and praise him with our bodies, so can we dishonor him. The term new age doesn’t mean things are “new”, it is an outlook on life that often calls on ancient practices and adapts them to the current trends. This can be dangerous because they appear watered-down and friendly (sort of like how they sell Ouija boards in the toy aisle next to Monopoly and Checkers).

There are other fitness techniques like Pilates that have been developed from a purely physical, muscular point of view and have no spiritism attached to them.

:( James, I feel the same way. I don't know why Fr. Keating has been featured in my Catholic newspaper for our diocese :confused: I have seen websites of spirituality centers offering reiki even after the bishops have issued a statement on how it is incompatible with Catholicism.

[quote="MercyMia, post:11, topic:178795"]
I know that a lot of people say they do tai chi or yoga for just the exercise and not the spirituality....but these practices were developed in order to serve spirits, deities or forces other than God. The entire construction of the movements is done in a way that serves a purpose, and that is a non-Christian spiritual purpose.

There are other fitness techniques like Pilates that have been developed from a purely physical, muscular point of view and have no spiritism attached to them.

[/quote]

Thank you! Yes that is what I can't understand. Why Tai Chi as opposed to light aerobics. I remember a program on PBS called "Sit and Be Fit." Why can't they do that if they want exercise?

Catholics are NOT forbidden from doing Tai Chi. It is NOT New Age. It is simply excercise and a form of martial art. The priests I know who practice it are in fact very traditional priests who would be the last to do anything against Church teachings.

If we accepted your view then Catholics would not be allowed to do any type of martial arts which of course would be ridiculous.

Show us an official Church document stating Tai Chi is forbidden and by that I don’t mean a newspaper article with the opinion of an individual.

[quote="thistle, post:14, topic:178795"]
Catholics are NOT forbidden from doing Tai Chi. It is NOT New Age. It is simply excercise and a form of martial art. The priests I know who practice it are in fact very traditional priests who would be the last to do anything against Church teachings.

If we accepted your view then Catholics would not be allowed to do any type of martial arts which of course would be ridiculous.

Show us an official Church document stating Tai Chi is forbidden and by that I don't mean a newspaper article with the opinion of an individual.

[/quote]

Tai Chi comes with a philosophy...it is a pantheist philosophy. In fact, we ought to call it THEOLOGY since its claims and teachings are on a pantheistic view of what the "divine" is. Do I need to remind you that Catholicism is Monotheistic? There is no inner "chi." Its a pantheistic concept.

The Church doesn't officially condemn Keating's Centering Prayer in any dogmatic statements, but are you going to argue that centering prayer is not heretical?

The claim that we would have to avoid all martial-arts is false. Unless you can back the claim up. Please try.

[quote="James924, post:15, topic:178795"]
Tai Chi comes with a philosophy...it is a pantheist philosophy. In fact, we ought to call it THEOLOGY since its claims and teachings are on a pantheistic view of what the "divine" is. Do I need to remind you that Catholicism is Monotheistic? There is no inner "chi." Its a pantheistic concept.

The Church doesn't officially condemn Keating's Centering Prayer in any dogmatic statements, but are you going to argue that centering prayer is not heretical?

The claim that we would have to avoid all martial-arts is false. Unless you can back the claim up. Please try.

[/quote]

Sorry, for sounding short. I get easily aggravated by this topic. Still, no excuse. I apologize for my tone. No offense meant.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Tai Chi is a martial art and exercise routine that is practiced by millions minus any spiritual aspect.
Are you really so naive that you think devout and especially Traditional priests would practice something forbidden and against Church teachings.
People also stupidly say this about yoga because of the "eastern spirituality" associated with it. Don't you understand that "spirituality" can be taken out and yoga used as simple exercise or in many places you can practise yoga in line with Catholic spirituality.
I really don't understand the attitude of people who say this or that started in the east with a non-Catholic spirituality so it is forbidden by the Church. Those who practice such forms of martial arts and exercises can easily do so by taking out anything relating to anti Christian teachings and do them simply as exercise or as exercise with Catholic spirituality.

TAI CHI IS NOT FORBIDDEN BY THE CHURCH. If anyone can show me an official Church document showing it is forbidden I will happily stand corrected.

Now you’ve made me angry. Take a second, genius, and read. Someone already acknowledged that you can, in theory, take any pantheistic religious art, remove all references to the pantheistic religion, and not be doing anything heretical. Congratulations, you’ve just preached to the converted.

The point is, how often is it the case that these things are taught with zero references to the spirituality that is inherent in the practice? It is very risky. In some cases it’s a no brainer: “CHI!!”. Tai CHI!! It’s in the NAME ITSELF for crying out loud!!! Chi is a pantheistic concept, my confused fellow monotheist!

As for your appeal to traditional priests doing this or that, that is fallacious logic! It’s called an inverse ad hominum. There are many “devout” priests who, without knowing they are wrong, practice things like centering prayer and trancendental meditation, which are heretical.

Why try to practice an eastern religious art without referencig the spiritual aspects when you could just as easily practice similar excercises that are NOT based on Pantheism?

As to your rant about wanting to see an official church document, it’s a strawman argument. Theology is theology. Some things are left to be handled by the local bishops. Again, trancendental meditation and centering prayer are not officially condemned in a church document. According to your argument, you believe that makes it ok to practice these pantheistic religious activities.

I’m sorry for being short, but this is just too much.

[quote="James924, post:19, topic:178795"]
Now you've made me angry. Take a second, genius, and read. Someone already acknowledged that you can, in theory, take any pantheistic religious art, remove all references to the pantheistic religion, and not be doing anything heretical. Congratulations, you've just preached to the converted.

The point is, how often is it the case that these things are taught with zero references to the spirituality that is inherent in the practice? It is very risky. In some cases it's a no brainer: "CHI!!". Tai CHI!! It's in the NAME ITSELF for crying out loud!!! Chi is a pantheistic concept, my confused fellow monotheist!

As for your appeal to traditional priests doing this or that, that is fallacious logic! It's called an inverse ad hominum. There are many "devout" priests who, without knowing they are wrong, practice things like centering prayer and trancendental meditation, which are heretical.

Why try to practice an eastern religious art without referencig the spiritual aspects when you could just as easily practice similar excercises that are NOT based on Pantheism?

As to your rant about wanting to see an official church document, it's a strawman argument. Theology is theology. Some things are left to be handled by the local bishops. Again, trancendental meditation and centering prayer are not officially condemned in a church document. According to your argument, you believe that makes it ok to practice these pantheistic religious activities.

I'm sorry for being short, but this is just too much.

[/quote]

The priests are not ignorant about Tai Chi because I specifically asked them about it. Two of the priests in fact are Chinese Singaporian who know better than you the origin of this martial art and exercise form. The name Tai Chi is irrelevant when you are practicing it without any NON-Christian spirituality being involved. They clearly said it is NOT forbidden by the Church. If I have to believe you or 5 priests on this subject, guess who I think knows better?
You simply do not know what you are talking about. It is NOT banned by the Church.

By the way if you are saying a matter like this is left to the local bishops and they are saying it is okay then how can they do that if it is not permitted by the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.