Need help with women ordination issue!

One of my friends has asked me about why the church does not ordain women. I tried to explain a little bit with the basic knowledge I had on the issue. Does anyone know of a big book that has all the defenses for this issue? I wasn’t able to find much info on this subject on the internet because google only shows the sites that support women ordination. If anyone could throw out the name of a book and where I could find it, then I would be thankful.

You don’t need big books with all the defenses. All you need is the Church teaching.

CCC 1577 “Only a baptized man (vir) validly receives sacred ordination.” The Lord Jesus chose men (viri) to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.

catholic.com/thisrock/1996/9601fea3.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9710fea2.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0201sbs.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0507dr.asp

catholic.com/library/Women_and_the_Priesthood.asp

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

For a really “heavyweight” book on the subject there is Women In the Priesthood? by Fr. Manfred Hauke, Ignatius Press. But I think the links Randy gave you will lead you to all you need.

On the lighter side: I like what Mother Angelica of EWTN once said about women priest. >> Can you imagine going to confession with a woman priest? A man will forget what you tell him. Women tent not to forget, but tent to gossip. (A paraphrase, not the actual quote of Mother on “Live with Mother Angelica”)

Blessings:

Will B.

One book, which I haven’t read but was highly commended to me, was Sister Sara Butler’s “The Catholic Priesthood and Women.”

It would be a one sentence book. It can’t Ordain a female, that is why it doesn’t!

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Which, of course, won’t be at all biased in any way, shape or form.

Where’s the evidence that men were chosen in favour over women?

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.