need help

hey guys,
the diocesan newspaper had a letter written by an individual who claims that both horizontal and vertical worship are vital to the liturgy and are, in fact, promoted by VII docs. i thought, that the Church taught that worship was to be vertical and that the Mass leads one in that direction. isn’t the mass being “horizontal” a glorification of man? i need help. can someone lead me to some docs, or statements by the Church and Her officials on this point…

This talks a bit about it and refers you to an encyclical, “Ecclesia de Eucharistia”.

catholic.com/library/cag_ecclesia_de_eucharista.asp

It has seemed to me that the term “horizontal” has often been used to criticize anything and everything that people don’t like. It should be obvious to anyone who understands the Mass that it is our greatest earthly conection with God through Christ. But having said that, the Mass is not about “me 'n Jesus”, in some sort of vacuum. We are a community of believers, and we come togehter as community to worship God.

Pardon my ignorance, what is “horizontal” and “vertical” worship??

[quote=Anima Christi]Pardon my ignorance, what is “horizontal” and “vertical” worship??
[/quote]

Horizontal = People-oriented
Vertical=God-centered

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.