Need ideas to get to Mass

In a couple of weeks, my daughter is going to visit her father's family out of state (near St. Louis) for a few days right after Christmas. Her aunt is going to fly out to pick up my daughter and then I am flying out there to pick her up and bring her home. This is happening on a weekend (I fly out on Saturday afternoon and fly back on Sunday afternoon).

They are baptized Catholic, but hate the Church (I mean, they are downright hostile and actively fight the Church--such as picking against pro-life folks, etc.). I bring this up because I really think asking them to drive me and my daughter to Mass is out of the question.

I think I figured out one solution; but I am hoping maybe someone can suggest something else that I am not thinking of.

It's too far to walk with a young child in the winter and doubt they will lend me car (I am not family--my daughter's father left us and I am now divorced... and yes, this is an awkward visit for me). Luckily, there is a taxi service where I am going so my thought is to hire a cab to take me and my daughter to the 7 am Mass, have the cab wait for us, and bring us back. It will be pretty expensive though--which is why I am hoping for an alternative. I am also worried because it's a suburban area and it seems like most of the time cabs in those areas are spotty service at best (I've had cabs not show up, show up late... and what if they don't wait?)

I checked on Mass at the airports, but we will miss the Mass times then (so that is out of the question). I am still trying to find a late Mass in my area (our flight lands after 5:30pm though and late Masses I know about start at 5pm on Sunday).

The cab thing sounds like the best option, but I really could use other options if anyone can think of them. Thank you!

Call the parish at your destination and ask if someone can give you a ride. Perhaps a neighbor who is going to Mass anyway?

Renting a car at the airport may not be any more expensive than your plan with the taxi and would be more reliable. Although it will add time and trouble to your arrival and departure.

www.masstimes.org is a wonderful resource that can help you find Mass times at parishes near your destination or on your way home from the airport on Sunday. Call the parish though to double check times.

Finally, call your pastor and ask for a dispensation in case these plans don't work out. It is commendable that you are working so hard to get to Mass, but sometimes we simply can't make it when we are travelling.

rent a car. you are then your own master.

Thanks... you know, for some reason I just had this mental block that renting a car would be more expensive. It is... but it's not that much more than the cab. That might just be the best option. Then I not only don't have to worry about getting to Mass... I also don't have to worry about them getting me back to the airport on time.

[quote="mellowcalico, post:4, topic:308041"]
Thanks... you know, for some reason I just had this mental block that renting a car would be more expensive. It is... but it's not that much more than the cab. That might just be the best option. Then I not only don't have to worry about getting to Mass... I also don't have to worry about them getting me back to the airport on time.

[/quote]

Definitely rent the car. I hate being at the mercy of my hosts for little things like that, and for me, it's too stressful to count on someone to get me to the airport. Since you're flying in, pick the car up at the airport and drop it back there, easy peasy.

I think the renting of the car is the best solution. Check around because I know I have gotten
a really good deal. In one city (especially if it is a large city) I walked to a small company
rental and got half-price on the major car rentals. It is something you can do by checking
on the internet ahead of time.

Ask about weekend specials; they can be dirt cheap!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.