Need Latin translation of Ps. 34:8-10 for sacred music composition

I’m considering composing some sacred music in Latin, which would be appropriate for either form of the Mass. One of the texts I want to use is Psalm 34:8-10, using the modern numbering, which in English, starts with “Taste and see.” Given the words of this text, a choral piece based on it may work as a Communion anthem. I’d like to use the same version of the Vulgate that Mozart and other composers of that time period used, but I don’t know where to find it online. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Try this link:

[vatican.va/archive/bible/nova_vulgata/documents/nova-vulgata_vt_psalmorum_lt.html#PSALMUS 34](“http://www.vatican.va/archive/bible/nova_vulgata/documents/nova-vulgata_vt_psalmorum_lt.html#PSALMUS 34”)

What you are looking for starts at verse 9 in this translation. This is the “neo-vulgate” so maybe there is some difference to what Mozart would have used.

Dan

latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=21&c=34

34 8 Let the snare which he knoweth not come upon him: and let the net which he hath hidden catch him: and into that very snare let them fall.

veniat ei calamitas quam ignorat et rete suum quod abscondit conprehendat eum et cadat in laqueum

34 9 But my soul shall rejoice in the Lord; and shall be delighted in his salvation.

anima autem mea exultabit in Domino et laetabitur in salute sua

34 10 All my bones shall say: Lord, who is like to thee? Who deliverest the poor from the hand of them that are stronger than he; the needy and the poor from them that strip him.

omnia ossa mea dicent Domine quis similis tui eruens inopem a validiore et pauperem et mendicum a violento

The Bible function of the forum should do the trick. Here you go. There’s a Latin Vulgate link at the bottom, click it and it will take you to the Latin version.

[BIBLEDRB]Psalm 34:8-10[/BIBLEDRB]

This version seems to be more in line with the Mass Prayers (if one can use Psalm 42 as a standard)

sacredbible.org/studybible/OT-21_Psalms.htm

“Taste and see” is Psalm 33 in this version, however.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.