Need more information regarding Catholic

Hi, I would like to understand more about the teachings, the beliefs and the practices of Catholic. Is there any web link where any of you can direct me to? Also, I would like to find out what is the difference between Catholic and Christian.

Thanks.

The second question is easy. A “Christian” is anyone who describes himself as a follower of Jesus, or believes that Jesus was divine, or is baptised, however you want to define it. A Catholic is a member of the organisation founded by Jesus to promote His ideas.
It gets a little bit complicated when some Anglicans, outside of the Church by our understnading, claim to be Catholics and an independent part of it, usually sincerely. Or when some evangelical Christians try to restrict the word to evangelical Christianity, so they might say that catholics are not Christians. This isn’t the accepted usage of the term.

As for what the Church teaches, it depends whether you have an intellectual interest, for instance for a school essay, or a suspicion that what the Church teaches might be correct and a desire to find out about joining. Appropriate resources are different in each case.

To be Christian means to believe in the divinity of Christ, or is baptized. Many different denominations have a wide variety of beliefs and practices, so many it would be impossible to explain the array of beliefs here.

To be Catholic means to be a member in the People of God, the Church, Jesus established while he was walking among us. While here he established a teaching authority, shepherds he would work through, to correct false teachings and be special conduits for his gifts. I like the old analogy, a train is most free on its tracks.

To be Christian is ultimately about being united to the divine and an intimate, loving, relationship. What is a relationship? Mass is described in terms of marriage, love, sacrifice. It’s so amazing. Your relationship with God is intensely personal and as such with each person its different, characterized by your personality and how God made you to communicate with Him.

Depending on in what way you want to look at Christ and his Church I would recommend a few different ways.

If you want to look up a specific topic from an academic viewpoint, I would go to www.newadvent.org, an old encyclopedia thats lapsed into public domain, and follow the trail to the original documents.

If you want to encounter the divine go to a church, get on your knees in front of the tabernacle, and just talk to God.

If you want to solid understanding of what Catholics believe and why I would recommend the Catechism of the Catholic Church, a teaching document intended to be a reference, but I find it so beautiful I just love reading it. It can be found online scborromeo.org/ccc.htm. or in print at most any bookstore.

If you want to delve into the life of Christ pick up a bible and start reading the Gospels, the books Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Some people don’t really get into reading but do so much better with hearing a voice. I recommend Archbishop Fulton Sheen. He’s a blest speaker. You can find a slew of audio clips here: americancatholictruthsociety.com/articles/sheen.htm
(I really like him.)

If there is anything we can do to help here just let us know.

Hi Leonard,

The prayer below is a good overview of what Catholics believe. Of course, you could spend your whole life getting into the details :slight_smile:

And a good book is “Catholicism for Dummies”.

THE APOSTLE’S CREED
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

I second that! I bought it about a year before I was recieved into the church last year, and it was the most invaluable resource for learning about the faith that I have come across (apart from the Bible and this website of course!) It explains the faith excellently without watering anything down and deals with difficult issues in an honest and clear way. :thumbsup:

Hi again Leonard, I see from your profile that you are Buddhist. So you may not know a lot about Christianity already. Here is a very brief description:

1. There is a single God who created everything in the universe, but God is himself outside of and not part of the universe.

2. The universe was created for a purpose - to be both home to mankind, and a temple for the worship of God.

3. Mankind was created for a purpose - both to serve God and to be with him in Heaven after we die. Heaven is communion with God and is a place of infinite joy, love, happiness, goodness, and beauty.

4. God created us out of love, and gave us “free will” - the capability to do both good and evil. When we choose to do good, we are choosing to love God. To truely love, one must have the ability to “not love”, that is why we have free will.

5. We all have chosen to do some evil in our lives. This is offensive to God, and stains our souls. Since God is infinite, sins (doing evil) are in a sense infinitely offensive. Nothing we can do can possibly pay God for these offenses against him. Nothing that we can “offer” to God is good enough to pay for even the most minor sin.

6. To pay for these sins, God actually gave us a worthy / infinite / perfect sacrifice in the form of Jesus. Jesus’ sacrifice “opened the gates of heaven” so that mankind can actually get in. We must still choose to go there, God will not force us to go to heaven. He gives us an option to choose Hell instead. Hell is the absense of being with God.

7. Over time, mankind was prepared for the coming of Jesus, primarily by the Jewish people through their own rituals and sacrifices. Jesus was Jewish, and Christianity builds on Judaism.

8. When we die, there is no such thing as “reincarnation.” If we reject God to the very end, we go to Hell, which is a place of “no God”. If we are perfect in our lives, or suffer greatly during our lives, we might go straight to Heaven. If we are imperfect during our lives, the sin in our souls (including attachment to material things) must be “purged” so that we can be with God in heaven (which has no material things). This place of purgation is called purgatory.

9. During our lives we attempt to follow God’s will, as described by the 2 great commandments (love God above all else, and love your neighbor as yourself), and in more detail by the 10 commandments.

Of course, all of these items can be covered in a great deal of depth - and I’m sure that I missed something essential. But this may be helpful :slight_smile:

Catholics are Christians. We are Catholic Christians. Catholic Church was established by Jesus himself 2000 years ago. Protestant(what you called Christian) was created by Luther 450 years ago. Many precious traditions and dogma were eliminated by Luther then. Catholic Church is the true original Church directly from Christ.

Buddhism does not believe there is a God or a Creator.
Catholics believe there is one God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
They are three in one and one in three. God created the universe and everything in the universe.

Buddhism acknowledge sins. But a Buddhist has to work hard solely on his own to overcome sin. Catholics believe our original sins are taken away by baptism through the salvation of Jesus Christ. Jesus, the Son of God died for us and his blood washes away our sins and iniquities. The original sins are washed away in baptism, the sins we committed after baptism could be pardoned through our repentance, contrition, and the Sacrament of Confession. Catholic strive for holiness, but in addition to our own resolution, we depend on the Lord’s mercy and his grace. “We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.” Our God is a merciful and gentle Shepherd who gave His life for us and He always guides, guards leads and protects us.

Our God is a God of Love and Justice.

www.americancatholic.org
www.catholic.org

Both very good sites

Hi there, I have a better understanding of your religion. Thanks for all the links that all who have provided! :slight_smile:

Also, I would like to find out does being a Catholic teaches you how to behave in everyday life? As in, does your belief affect ones way in behaving?

Thanks!

Hi, I have two questions. Isit right to say that the Catholics worship god? :shrug:

And is there sources to find out the roles men and women play respectively?

Thanks!

Also, I would like to find out does being a Catholic teaches you how to behave in everyday life? As in, does your belief affect ones way in behaving?

Yep, very much so. In fact, if one is a practicing Catholic, it is unavoidable for it to affect your everyday life. For example, we’re taught that whatever we do to anyone who is vulnerable, weak, poor, oppressed, hungry, cold, or in any other way troubled, we do to and for Jesus. This (in my case anyway, and most others) helps me to have more patience with others, to not get as angry as often, to be honest and polite. In the 10 Commandments (a list of ten rules given to the Jews to govern our lives by God Himself) we’re told not to lie, steal, lust, murder, be greedy, and to obey our parents.

Hi, I have two questions. Isit right to say that the Catholics worship god?

Yes. Catholics worship God. We venerate (regard as holy and honor) the saints (those who are in Heaven) and Mary (who was/is the Mother of Jesus, who we believe is God). We do not worship Mary and the saints however, we only worship God, because He alone is divine.

And is there sources to find out the roles men and women play respectively?

Specific sources? I don’t know of any. Men and women are considered equal in The Church. Both have the same chance of getting to Heaven, Jesus was a sacrifice for both, etc. Only Men, however, may become priests, because Jesus was a man, and He only chose men to be His ‘disciples’ which were the forerunners of priests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.