Need prayers: I lost my faith after my deployments

I ask all of you to please pray for me and my wife and daughter. I lost my faith after my two deployments to Iraq. I have not been to confession in almost 5 years and have not attended Mass in over a year. It’s hard to explain why. I am currently being treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but I know I need spiritual healing as well. I know my wife would like to go to church but I’m afraid I’m holding her back. Thank you.

Praying for you and your family. God bless you and thank you for your military service.

PRAYER TO
SAINT MICHAEL
THE ARCHANGEL

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Praying for you and your family…

I am sorry that you had to suffer so much. I will pray for you and your family. Don’t be afraid of the Church or confession God wants to heal you.

I’m praying for you. Maybe a priest who has been /is in the military would be able to help you best? I’m praying also that you will be able to find the right person to walk with you through this difficult time.

Praying hard for you and your family.

Come, Holy Spirit
Replace the tension within us with a holy relaxation.
Replace the turbulence within us with a sacred calm.
Replace the anxiety within us with a quiet confidence.
Replace the fear within us with a strong faith.
Replace the bitterness within us with the sweetness of grace.
Replace the darkness within us with a gentle light.
Replace the coldness within us with a loving warmth.
Replace the night within us with your light.
Replace the winter within us with your spring.
Straighten our crookedness.
Fill our emptiness.
Dull the edge of our pride.
Sharpen the edge of our humility.
Light the fires of our love.
Quench the flames of our lust.
Let us see ourselves as you see us
That we may see You.

Amen.

Can you speak with a Catholic counselor, like with Catholic Charities, about ideas on how to heal, spritually? Also, a priest might be of help.

I’ve heard of this before where people have come back from war, lost faith in God after that, and come back changed people.

I’ll say a prayer for you.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

Praying for you. Remember that the Sacrament of Confession gives you graces. It opens up the floodgates of God’s mercy upon our weary souls and strengthens our wills to fight our weaknesses. Please consider going and telling the priest your difficulties, even if that’s all you can say. Trust that God will help you.

Our prayers are with you. Peace.

+JMJ+

My deceased husband was in the Army for 20+ years and served in two wars as a Medic and Nurse. He had PTSD all his life afterward, but eventually learned to deal with it. They had no treatments for it after Korea (where he got the really bad nightmares from, as he was under bombardment for 12 months), and after Viet Nam, no one really wanted to recognize the problem. He found his faith again, and died 2 years ago as a devout Catholic man. He said that sometimes God was the only thing that kept him going. He often woke up with nightmares, and I learned to never touch him unexpectedly when he was asleep, as his reaction could be sudden and violent and without his own volition. He never got past flinching every time fireworks went off in July, but he did learn to live with it, and so did I. Keep working on the PTSD, and start to pray, at least by yourself. The faith will come back because God wants you to regain it. I will pray for you. Having lived with a husband who had this terrible burden after war, I understand at least a little of what it is like. I will keep praying for you and for all the soldiers. Wounds aren’t always visible.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

I lost/left my faith when I was in the military also, but I can tell you it was such a relief to go back. I felt a weight was lifted from me. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been away. Take the first step. You and your family are in my prayers.

I will say a prayer for you and your family. I just went to confession two days before this past Christmas and it was such a relief for me. It had been 10 yrs or more since my last confession and I had been going to church off and on throughout the years. I honestly missed being able to participate in Mass so much, but I just couldn’t find the courage to confess my sins. I started praying for the courage and the strength to do what I knew deep down I needed to do in order to regain my Faith. I finally feel like my life is back on track.

I would pray for help, but also maybe you and your wife should speak with a priest and start going to RCIA classes together.

I would also like to thank you for you service and I’m sorry that you and your family have been through so much.

O most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine, splendor of Heaven. Blessed Mother of The Son of God. Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this, my necessity. There are none who can withstand your power.

O star of the sea, help me and show me herein you are my Mother (make request).

O Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Holy Mary I place this cause in your hands.

Holy Mary I place this cause in your hands.

Holy Mary I place this cause in your hands . Thank you for your mercy towards me and mine.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Praying for your healing and return to the faith. Thank you for your service and for the sacrifices you made for others. God’s blessings to you and your family! :blessyou:

** I will keep you and your family in my prayers. :console:

Higher Power, I know it’s not within the harmony of the universe that I be healed from the trauma of remembering without pain.
Help me through the pain.
Surround me with the golden light of healing, fill me with the white light of peace and love.
Help me to bear the pain as I go through the memories.
Help me to cry.
Help me to remember.
Help me to love myself no matter what happened to me or what I did to survive.
Help me to release and let go of my survival skills, the things such as anger and numbness that helped keep me alive, as I become aware of how ineffective they can be in getting me what I want today.
Fill me with light and love until I am green and growing again in the harmony of the universe, if it be Thy will,
Amen.

Dear God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change: the past, what happened to me, that what happened to me was traumatic no matter how effectively I have stuffed it.

Courage to change the things I can: my attitude towards my symptoms – help me to accept them as a normal response to trauma and evidence that I need to take care of myself by talking about what happened to me with a safe person and getting whatever help I need; my actions – I no longer have to drug, deny or repress my symptoms. I can accept them as evidence of how much I have been through; my reactions – instead of freaking out or trying to repress what I feel, I can focus on the symptom, whether it is numbness, a painful emotion or memory, dream, or flashback, or a physical reaction, feel what I feel, go through and have the pain and learn whatever it is that God wants me to learn and share about the effects of trauma on people. I can change how I see these symptoms – as normal responses to trauma which helped me to survive and will help me to recover even if they are painful.

And the wisdom to know the difference: help me to be willing to accept that I survived something terrible, and that I can learn from it and heal if I look outside my own head for help, and to believe that I deserve to heal whatever I did to survive.
Amen**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.