Need Prayers: Workplace robbed; I'm the suspect

Help!

The warehouse I work at was robbed over the weekend (probably Sunday). Someone got inside without setting off the alarm and took the petty cash box and I don’t know what else. Problem is, I’m the only employee who is sheduled for work on Saturdays…other people come and go throughout the day, but I’m the one who turns the alarm off & on.

The police just left my house a few minutes ago. They want me to go to the cop-shop for a polygraph test. They grilled me for about 20 minutes before leaving (its my day off- I work Tues-Sat). They woke my Wife & I up (we tend to sleep late on the weekends) when they were banging on my door… so I may have been a bit incoherent :confused: . They took a DNA swab, and want me to take the afformentioned polygraph test…

This may (partially) be my fault. I think I may have left one of the windows open in the warehouse on Saturday when I left (it was fricken hot, and the building is like an oven- No A/C), but I’m not really sure…so I’m really hoping I won’t lose my job over this. I have too many bills, and absolutely cannot afford to lose my job.

Please pray for me! It seems that I am the main suspect…I swear I didn’t do it! I don’t want to lawyer up just yet, as I don’t want to look more suspicious than I already do…

Pray for me…

will do…don’t worry, God will take care of it:)

[quote=Isidore_AK]Help!

The warehouse I work at was robbed over the weekend (probably Sunday). Someone got inside without setting off the alarm and took the petty cash box and I don’t know what else. Problem is, I’m the only employee who is sheduled for work on Saturdays…other people come and go throughout the day, but I’m the one who turns the alarm off & on.

The police just left my house a few minutes ago. They want me to go to the cop-shop for a polygraph test. They grilled me for about 20 minutes before leaving (its my day off- I work Tues-Sat). They woke my Wife & I up (we tend to sleep late on the weekends) when they were banging on my door… so I may have been a bit incoherent :confused: . They took a DNA swab, and want me to take the afformentioned polygraph test…

This may (partially) be my fault. I think I may have left one of the windows open in the warehouse on Saturday when I left (it was fricken hot, and the building is like an oven- No A/C), but I’m not really sure…so I’m really hoping I won’t lose my job over this. I have too many bills, and absolutely cannot afford to lose my job.

Please pray for me! It seems that I am the main suspect…I swear I didn’t do it! I don’t want to lawyer up just yet, as I don’t want to look more suspicious than I already do…

Pray for me…
[/quote]

I’ll pray for you…hope everything works out…let us know how you are…

I would do anything more until you speak to a lawyer. You need to protect yourself and your rights.

I’ll pray for you at Adoration tonight. That God will make all right as it should be. Give your worry to God.

Update:

I went in to work for a few hours this afternoon (today is my day off), and spoke with my boss. He told me not to worry about it, that he’d make sure that there wouldn’t be any problems with work (as long as I’m found to be innocent of course). My immediate superior is a pretty decent person, and his boss (one of the VP’s) is probably too afraid of a wrongful termination suit to do anything before the police give a final report. My boss says I’ll probably get a slap on the wrist that he’ll ‘forget’ to give me…

So hopefully there won’t be any worries…

Thanks for the prayers all.

You are in my prayers.

A similar thing happened to me about 9 years ago at a coffee house I managed. Someone stole $500 and I was the last one working. I cried for days because I couldn’t believe someone would actually suspect I was responsible.

God will bless you and justice will prevail. :yup:

LynnieLew

[quote=EDB]I would do anything more until you speak to a lawyer. You need to protect yourself and your rights.
[/quote]

That’s right.

I sat on a jury once where a defendent talked to the police without a lawyer. The police did not have enough evidence to convict him, so they tricked him by bluffing they were going to run a test that they actually were not able to run. They know all the tricks in the book and will use them to get you to say something that will incriminate you, and without knowing the law you may not recognize it.

The case involved a gang-related drive-by shooting where the gun was not recovered and the defendent was not convincingly placed at the crime scene. That is, except by some vague testimony by an opposing gang member, the victim, who did not show up under subpeona so they arrested him and brought him in an orange jumpsuit to testify.

We did not have enough evidence to convict the kid with the shooting. However, while being questioned, the police said, “what if we run XX powder test on you, then what we find?” The kid said he had been at the firing range the day before. Turned out it was impossible to run the test without a gun, and only the KBI can run it, and only in certain unusual situations – plus it was very expensive and was used sparingly.

Bzzzt. The kid had a previous felony conviction so he just got himself charged with a firearms violation, for which we convicted him with one vote and no discussion. You should have seen that kid’s face in court during questioning when he realized he’d been had.

In your case, you have nothing to hide, but remember the police have a track record of bringing people in just so they can get let out so guilty or not they will be trying to build their case against you using whatever tricks.

Of course, it depends on your faith level.

A coworker at Boeing was the lead engineer in his group, and the computer disappeared. This was when a group was lucky to have a computer at all, and it was very expensive. Boeing security showed up at his house, bluffed their way in, and ransacked it. Finally they caught the actual perpetrator, a person who worked in a different building (duhhh) who drove a little Cushman cart around, and was taking this and other computers and handing them over the fence to another guy with a pickup truck. Oh yeah, did I mention several computers disappeared at once – but they still figured this guy took the one in his department? No apologies whatsoever. The guy sought union protection (is it any wonder engineers were unionized in that company) and they eventually got him his job back under the condition that the union may not say anything about it.

My guess is they will harass you without limit, including convicting you of the crime if they can, unless they happen to get some better evidence. The worst thing for them is to have a crime “unsolved” in that there hasn’t been a conviction. Of course, if they ever find the real culprit, they may eventually let you go without so much as an “I’m sorry.”

Alan

Oh, what a sad spot - to feel as if you’re accused when you’re innocent. I will certainly pray for you as you’ve asked.

But, please, in the meantime - don’t submit to any more questions (and certainly not a polygraph!) without the advice and presence of counsel.

There have been enough instances of faulty polygraph results to show it for a “junk science.” It’s a very good interrogation tool because they can use it to bully you into thinking that you’ve not done well on the polygraph and you can start making very innocent mistakes in your answers to questions when you get flustered.

antipolygraph.org/
fas.org/sgp/othergov/polygraph/ames.html
Lots more polygraph=junk science web sites

What in the world are they doing taking DNA swabs? Was there bodily fluid left in the building in the commission of the crime? Blood, cigarette butts? If there wasn’t, the only possible reason they could have for taking DNA from you is to add your profile to the DNA data base. They’d have known better than to even ask if you had had an attorney present. Now you need an attorney to help you keep your profile out of the data base.

We innocent people want to cooperate with the police - we are as helpful with them as we can be, because we want our name cleared. Unfortunately, we often help ourselves right into trouble.

Prayers for you and your family.

Elizabeth

All good advise above. I agree, get the attorney involved now.

When I was in my 20’s Ii worked in a hospital as the ight janitor. Every night I had to take loads of dirty laundry out to an out building that was used as the laundry room.

This was an 7th Day Adventist hospital btw.

Well, painting’s started to become missing. Than televisions turned up missing and I became the subspect. Some people belived I was smuggling the good’s out of the hospital in the laundry cart.

The head nurse and other’s would stop me and have me unload the cart in front of them. I was so embarrassed.

I began to feel guilty even when I knew I was innocent.

The hospital Pastor used to have bible studies for employees that wanted to explore the SDA faith. He was a very nice and kind old retired Pastor.

The day time janitor was one of his students. Well, he didn’t show up for a few bible studies and was beginning to miss work. The Pastor was concerned and went to the janitor’s house to see if he was all right. He wasn’t home but the janitor’s wife let the pastor in and offered him a cold drink. The Pastor was suprised to see the paintings on the couples living room wall and when he asked the wife about the paintings, she smiled and said how thankful she was for the hospital to sell the paintings to her husband at such a low price and to let them make small payments also.

When I came to work the next day…a lot of the staff came up to me and shook my hand and was pleased that I didn’t have anything to do with the stealing except the one head nurse that was my main accuser. She gave me dirty looks for as long as I worked there and I smiled at her and was nice to her as long as I worked there. I think it made her mad that I never got mad…embarrassed but never mad.

Sometimes I feel that way when I’m leaving a store where I haven’t bought anything. I always think those detector things are going to go off for some reason.

When I came to work the next day…a lot of the staff came up to me and shook my hand and was pleased that I didn’t have anything to do with the stealing except the one head nurse that was my main accuser. She gave me dirty looks for as long as I worked there and I smiled at her and was nice to her as long as I worked there. I think it made her mad that I never got mad…embarrassed but never mad.

You did the worst possible thing to her. You did not live up to her “vision” for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as being nice to her, I’d say that’s a right devious strategy, just about sneaky enough for Christ!

Alan

Sometimes even being innocent is not a good enough defense. It’s good that your boss is behind you and is willing to forgive a mistake by leaving a window open.

Leave it in God’s hands and we will pray for the best.

Having only limited experience with our nation’s legal system, I am not real confident that justice always prevails. The one time I encountered it, I was just lucky and really blessed that I got a change to a different judge just before the hearing was to commence.

I made the mistake of trying to represent myself because the legal fee was so high and I knew I was innocent. The first judge did not take kindly to that, he was very rude and outright hostile. I think he would have thrown the book at me just for trying to avoid the expensive lawyers.

The second judge heard me out and let me go for just the $50 court cost. His attitude was completely different from the first guy. Next time I will pay the 700+ lawyer fee and be properly represented. It’s a real crock that you have to pay homage to the legal system, but it is far better than being sent to jail for something you didn’t do.

Hopefully you don’t have to defend yourself in the courts. I just happen to think our juducial system is a disgrace, but I’m not a lawyer making the big bucks. I suppose it beats the really corrupt courts of some 3rd world countries, but just barely.

wc

[quote=ElizabethJoy]Oh, what a sad spot - to feel as if you’re accused when you’re innocent. I will certainly pray for you as you’ve asked.

But, please, in the meantime - don’t submit to any more questions (and certainly not a polygraph!) without the advice and presence of counsel.

What in the world are they doing taking DNA swabs? Was there bodily fluid left in the building in the commission of the crime? Blood, cigarette butts? If there wasn’t, the only possible reason they could have for taking DNA from you is to add your profile to the DNA data base. They’d have known better than to even ask if you had had an attorney present. Now you need an attorney to help you keep your profile out of the data base.

We innocent people want to cooperate with the police - we are as helpful with them as we can be, because we want our name cleared. Unfortunately, we often help ourselves right into trouble.

Prayers for you and your family.

Elizabeth
[/quote]

Well, the person who did this…err…took a dump on the floor in front of one of the managers offices. The cops took a sample for DNA analysis…

I think thats why they assume its an inside job…why desecrate someones office if you don’t have a grudge against them? Also, the cops dusted for prints, and can’t find any finger or foot prints coming through the window I left (barely!) open…

I will pray for you in your situation.

Does your workplace have an alarm system where if a window is open or not shut properly, thus the alarm will go off? I worked at a place where the alarms were set up this. I am sure the higher-ups would improve the alarm/securtiy system after this.
(Yes, some good CAN come out of this!)

[quote=Isidore_AK]I’m the one who turns the alarm off & on.
. . .
This may (partially) be my fault. I think I may have left one of the windows open in the warehouse on Saturday when I left
[/quote]

This caught my attention because at least with house alarms you can’t arm the system if any windows or doors are open. Is that particular window not monitored by the alarm?

–Bill

ah polygraph, never take it. if you show signs of deception they certainly will accuse you. if not, they still will suspect you just as before the test.

I’ll pray for you, hope everything turns out well.

I used to have to take polygraphs regularly for my security clearance updates. I put them in the same class as astrology and alchemy. where’s a thumbs-down smiley when you need one

DaveBj

[quote=Isidore_AK]Well, the person who did this…err…took a dump on the floor in front of one of the managers offices. The cops took a sample for DNA analysis…

[/quote]

It seems they should be able to “clean” this one up pretty quickly then, I would think. At least as far as disproving you were it.

Watch now. They’ll probably run a test and it’ll not match, but they won’t tell you that. That’d be about like certain, well, uh…

They’ll keep you in suspense while they try to coerce you to testify against your “accomplice.” :rolleyes: Just a wild guess. That’s about what I’d expect out of certain, well, uh…

Umm, is this room bugged?

Alan

don’t confess no matter how they tempt you. this may seem ridiculous but there’s a 20% false confession rate.
they may say:
your confession can help catching the real criminal or
confession can take the burden off or
confession is really nothing.

DON’T FALL FOR THOSE BS. if you confess, they don’t think there’s anyone else behind the robbery.

also remember they may pretend friendship with you. again don’t be tempted, they’re just your interrogators, all they want is sending you to jail.

don’t believe the room is bugged even if they say it’s bugged.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.