Need quotes from the Pope/Magisterium backs up this comment

Now, yes, it’s all familiar territory for me…but this is for a dissertation so I need as many infallible quotes backing up this idea of the puritan Jonathan Edwards:

“To pretend to describe the excellence, the greatness or duration of the happiness of heaven by the most artful composition of words would be but to darken and cloud it; to talk of raptures and ecstasies, joy and singing, is but to set forth very low”

I need them to be quite specifically about ‘the amount’- in other words, yes there’s a lot of happiness but does any comment correspond to what Edwards said? It’s quite important to what I’m trying to achieve in writing!

I thank you!

(Apologies to those who mistook my previous question as being at all critical of the Pope by suggestion he might sometimes use hyperbole- I do not think there is anything wrong in using strong metaphors and it was never meant to indicate that ‘he lies’ but, rather, to establish how we might know when something is metaphorical and when it is quite literal; for instance ‘infinite joy’?)

Aye? I think you must have accidentally deleted your answer?

Are the many questions you have posted here at CAF for a dissertation? Have you been asking asking people here to do work for you for your university degree?

That would be extremely disheartening. I hope not.

-Tim-

I don’t think the Church has definitively judged what Heaven is like with such specificity.

Here is what the Church has defined in regard to what Heaven is (the beatific vision forever):

See this whole constituion of Pope Benedict XII, Benedictus Deus:

papalencyclicals.net/Ben12/B12bdeus.html

Also, people experience the beatific vision in degrees relative to their merits. See the Council of Florence here:

ewtn.com/library/councils/florence.htm

No they haven’t been! Only this one!

Jeez, maybe it’s just because I’m ill, but everyone seems to be misunderstanding me today!
I wouldn’t dream of getting people to work for me on my degree- this question is research!

Asking people to come up with quotes for you is not research.

I have followed your posts with interest even though I have not responded and will offer you this infallible quote by St. Paul.

But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him,"

(1 Corinthians 2:9)

St. Paul was quoting from Isaiah 64:3.

Quantifying the joy of heaven is like describing the color red to a man born blind. <-- I said that. You can quote me. :smiley:

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.