Need Reply from a Priest or Father please

I am doing a research in which I need to interview a priest about the following topic: Is Suffering Redemptive for Catholics?

I would like to know;

• Is suffering good for the spirituality of Catholics or not?
  • If suffering is beneficial for Catholics, how so?
  • Should we punish ourselves in order to please God?
  • If suffering is beneficial, how far should we go?
  • If suffering isn’t something beneficial, why do so many suffer “in order to please God”?

There are not very many priest frequenting these forums. You will have better luck speaking with a local parish priest and/or inquiring in the apologetics section.

I can at least direct you to the Popes words regarding redemptive suffering.
I won’t comment on any of this as you specifically ask for priestly input. Just a few websites…

REDEMPTORIS MISSIO OF THE SUPREME PONTIFF JOHN PAUL II

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_07121990_redemptoris-missio_en.html

SALVIFICI DOLORIS OF THE SUPREME PONTIFF JOHN PAUL II

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_11021984_salvifici-doloris_en.html

From the official
CATECHISM of the CATHOLIC CHURCH:

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P4K.HTM old.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt2.shtml

Priestly comments on Redemptive suffering:

copiosa.org/suffering/suffering_redemptive.htm

copiosa.org/suffering/index.htm Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen,

religious-vocation.com/redemptive_suffering.html
“To Love and To Suffer” - The Science of the Saints

therealpresence.org/eucharst/pea/suffer.htm
The Value of Suffering in the Life of Christian Perfection Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J.

Wow, thank you, this was most helpful =)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.