Need Serious Help for my Brother

Hey all,

I have a bit of a story to tell. First, you should know that my brother and I have acquired several games from our friends on loan, and have forgotten to return them over the years. We are taking steps to remedy this, but recently my brother has come up against a real wall. He wanted to give a game back to a former friend, but there are exams on currently. His plan was to give it back before said friend left the exam hall. He managed to get the guy’s attention briefly, but froze up in fear and (since said guy seemed to be in a hurry) that guy left. Now he feels like a miserable coward and a hypocrite before God, because he promised to return the game but messed up an opportunity through fear. The exams are over for my brother after today, but we don’t know whether or not that’s the case for the other guy. We also don’t know where this other guy lives, so dropping it into him in person isn’t a live option. My brother is feeling absolutely miserable over this and feels like it’ll ruin his whole week’s break.

Our parents have told him that he’s being over-scrupulous, and they have a point (although I don’t like the way they’re putting it - basically they’re saying “yeah, those religious values are fine and well in theory, but you can’t live like that in the real world, you have to abandon them to be comfortable”).

What do you think I should do?

Tell your brother to calm down and not to worry…you both can always return the games after the weeks break is over…and next time you both borrow a game take the persons address or cell phone number so you have a way to sort out returning the item once you have finished lending it

Praying for the both of you.

yeah, tell him to calm down. i’m sure he’ll see this guy around some other time. or else, are there any mutual friends that could help him get in touch with the other guy?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.