Need some help here...

My study of theology has in advertently resulted in a very clinical view of God’s Love and Mercy. I have trouble attaining perfect contrition for my sins. Here is why:

God is entirely self sufficient. He is all act. He willed to make me out of love but He did not have to. When we say it “pleased God” to do it, we are speaking in human terms. God, being entirely self sufficient and happy beyond measure in Himself, He receives no boost in happiness in making me, ergo, while He wills my Salvation, He does not lose any happiness if I am damned. His love, then, seems a static thing. Emotionless. God being perfect as He is experiences no change whether I am saved or not. I try to say my Act of Contrtion, but part of my mind says to God, “You are perfectly happy in Your own goodness. If I am damned, You lose nothing. You are the same yesterday, today and forever, independent of me. If I am damned, I will not be missed by You.”
This thought makes me very sad. I love God very much. I know He suffered for me. And in THAT way he experienced sadness at the thought of the loss of my soul. But then says my mind, He had to become man just to feel for you.

Please understand, I know this Truth about God has been warped. Probably by Satan. This is more of a temptation for me, yet it still is a roadblock since it is theolohically true. Please help. Thank you.

We cannot bind God by our limited human concepts, even our human reason or logic.

I’ll just give a couple of my prayers which acknowledge the limited nature of our attempts at defining God:
Infinite Possibilities of God’s love
Holy Trinity of God please let me be drawn into the infinite possibilities and actualities of Your love. Our God, although I do not, and perhaps cannot comprehend, my soul yearningly and trustingly breathes its ‘yes’ to this, to You—in hope that a flood of Yourself is released upon the earth for souls…

Eternal God, Your greatness extends boundlessly beyond created time and matter, as a universe around a pebble. Your realities are infinitely beyond human knowledge, yet You await the willing choice of each person, as prerequisite of the fulfillment of the Son’s redemption within them. Our faculties are instrumental to our choices as informed, conscious, creative and free.

Each person throughout time possesses consciousness created for happiness and love in the communion of saints. Those who live according to Your love and truth enjoy everlasting delight and peace with God. Please grant everyone the graces to accept Your redemption, for many good individuals are unaware of their destiny with our Creator. Yet it is unwise to ignore truths revealed in Scripture, Tradition, and precepts of the Church. It is unwise to reject Sacramental gifts bestowed by the Savior for nourishment and unity. It is foolish to reject the inspirations and blessings that prepare us for eternal life.

In Your merciful love, our God, please grant increase of faith that joyfully transcends earthly doubts and realities, and that gives us courage to trust our lives faithfully and lovingly to You. Let us be absorbed into the infinite potential and realities of Your infinite love and being that transcends human knowledge and imagination. Where it serves You, please deepen our insight into Your love that holds each creature in such intimate awareness and love that God chose to assume human limitations, in order to redeem us.

Holy Trinity, do not reprimand us for lack of faith. We say with Saint Peter in the frail vessel of ourselves, “Lord, save us lest we perish.” Have compassion upon the difficulty for sentient beings in a material world to maintain focus and faith in divine realities and truths that transcend our experience. Let Your kingdom come amongst us—to destroy the dam of selfishness, sin, injustice and unbelief that, through our tacit or explicit consent, holds back the flood of Yourself from the souls of humankind.

Meditation on eternity and conversion

Eternal God, we cannot view existence in concepts other than in time or its cessation. The prospect of eternity seems always mysterious, sometimes unreal and occasionally alienating—unless we base our contemplation of eternal happiness in childlike trust alone.

Please strengthen our faith, for we may confuse our inability to comprehend Your realities, as absence of the realities themselves. Then, embroiled in the occupations and joys of our lives, or discouraged in life’s disappointments and losses, we may come to trust only in temporal reality. When we live only in the present reality, we cannot believe in our Creator as loving Parent, as Redeemer, or as guiding Spirit, with intimate relevance to our individual lives.

Yet it appears even to the goldfish in his bowl, that his observation and response to his environment and experience is absolute. Clearly, he also is mistaken.
In abandoning faith, we betray our souls that long for union in Your love. We lose true joy, love and liberty in faith—receiving a stone, a scorpion, a snake, instead of living Bread and Water. Give us faith to penetrate confusion that envelops even some dedicated souls. Only Your gentle, loving mercy can make us the little children of Your Kingdom that Jesus knows we must be.

Our God, the wonder and beauty of Your Creation, from the universe itself to some exquisitely simple life form, may lead the astonished mind to You, yet also away. Our perceptions are fallible and subjective even in the summit of scientific and poetic response, and may be guided by whim, personality, or circumstance. Let us cherish Your works and cease to abuse them at a physical, technological, or spiritual level. Let them serve to give us appropriate recreation and wholeness as individuals who are both body and spirit.

God, we do not want to remain separate from You. Please fortify our faith so that trials become impetus for our growth. You love and educate us tenderly and patiently, however wounded, disobedient and impatient we are. Even chosen souls may dilute Your truths or limit Your offered gifts of service. Please grant healing and endurance so we may share the richness of Your love with many others.

Yours are the thoughts and ways of almighty God who creates in slow evolution. Your Spirit’s action is often indiscernible in our lives and in the lives of others. You nevertheless use each moment of effort and peace, of faltering and repentance, together with each act of mercy and faith, to mold each willing soul to Your intended image of it. We place our whole existence, with our sinfulness and failures, our gifts and achievements, into Your care.

If we drift from Your ways, however deep our error, please restore us quickly through Your indwelling Spirit, with the teachings of Jesus, His merciful forgiveness, and the encouragement of others. Preserve us from rejecting You through unbalanced devotion or attachment. Grant us genuine prayer and conversion despite temptations that assail us.

continued

cont.

Holy God, please give us faith to accept mysteries beyond human experience and reason. Give us hope that endures beyond repeated crises and losses, and love that continues to live in a broken heart. Let us experience Your love for us, and grant others to find Your loving-kindness in us. Silence our distractions and anxieties. Overcome in us the tyrannies of sin, temptation and addiction. Lead us into the way and truth of Your divine Son, who took upon Himself our nature and raised it to Your life that we may become Your children beside Him.

Please fill us with overwhelming desire for Your loving will. We trust and hope in the promise of Your Son—that those who hunger for Your life will be filled. By His promise, we know that the Spirit will transform us, preparing us for the communion of Saints and Angels in fulfillment of Your will. Eternal God, grant us to respond fully to Your will, in the name and Spirit of Your Son.

“The actions of every creature are before Him, there is no hiding from His eyes; His gaze stretches from eternity to eternity, and nothing can astonish Him. You must not say, ‘What is this? Why is that?’ All things have been created for their proper functions.” [Ecclesiasticus 39:19-26]

Mystery of Redemption

Holy God, we do not grasp how awesome and incomprehensible are Your truths. We mistake our conceptions regarding You as the essence of the reality that they fail to encapsulate. Human Reason cannot make sense of God becoming subject to obedience, humility, selflessness and suffering, in love for His creatures! Thus, while we seek You, we are required to trust as little children.

We can only suspect a flicker of the magnitude of this God through His Creation of a stunningly vast universe containing massive expanding galaxies in an immensity of space. Yet, God of such greatness, You also create the fragile intricacy of tiny insects and the worlds of microscopic lifeforms in their intrinsic perfection! Holy God, open our minds and hearts to the supreme greatness and the sublime mystery of Your works!

From our tiny planet, so important to us but insignificant amongst the countless orbits of the universe, we dare to say ‘our God’ and ‘our Father’ in contemplating the Creator of all these marvels and capable of unknown wonders inconceivable to us. Perhaps the greatest wonder, however, is the love and mercy You show to Your human creatures on this planet, Earth!

All things are held in being in continuous creation within You. Yet, to our knowledge, only human creatures dare to sin. You require of us a life of charity and justice, of prayer and self-denial, of trust and faithfulness during our earthly existence—in promise of everlasting union with the everlasting I AM WHO AM, which is Yourself. Slow to trust, we are reluctant to accept sacred Your dream and plan for us as individuals and as community. The choice to reject or accept is ours.

The Angels, whom You created before us, also faced a choice to love and honor God or to serve themselves. Two-thirds obeyed God and now dwell with You in glory and delight. To the rebellious remainder, punishment was swift. Doubtless, You gave these glorious creatures generous opportunity to fulfill their radiant destiny!

Yet many people habitually accept Your revelations and promises with spasmodic attention or with vague complacency. Before so great a God, the purest human zeal and the highest knowledge and goodness are as nothing. How intense should be our gratitude before the wonder of our relation to You. How great our repentance should be before the arrogance of neglecting our Creator’s laws and astonishing mercy! Holy God please lead us through awareness, repentance and rebirth into continuing spontaneity of response to Your creative love!

So that we in our unworthiness may be saved and made whole, through Your mercy the seeming-impossible occurs. The eternal Son of God enters the limitations of created time and matter. He assumes fully our humanity, while also retaining His infinite divinity. With His humble, obedient life as human being, He bridges the immeasurably vast difference between God and creature for all humankind!

continued

continued

In our disobedience and ingratitude, our God, You have not destroyed us, but have become for us—a defenceless infant…a humble labourer…a man murdered by Your chosen people. You have become for all time, food to be assimilated into the functions of the human body and soul of mere creatures, devout and lukewarm alike. You have become bread to be tabernacled in centuries of neglect before multitudes of unbelievers and of apathetic followers…cherished only by Your true friends. Yet even these have not lived without offence against You, excepting one pure woman, chosen as Mother—for the Son did not enter our nature in resplendence as a magnificent adult. Rather, the Father humbly, through an Angel, sought permission of the sinless young virgin to accept Him as a helpless embryo!

What is this humility, this faith, this patience, this obedience, this compassion that You show us, infinite God! We are proud, stubborn, untrusting and wayward, yet Your mercy remains open to endless human insult, for within time it is always subject to our personal acceptance or rejection. Repeatedly, You reiterate Your love and mercy in our hearts and through other persons. You reiterate them through Scripture and ministry of the Church, source of grace, sacrament and wisdom established by the Son to fulfil His promise to remain always with us.

Our God, who are You who so loves His ungrateful, ignorant, unworthy creatures! Behold the humility of eternal, infinite God, to love and desire us who are enmeshed in egoism that alienates us from each other and You! We begin to suspect the smallness of our vision, the confusion of our understanding, and the flawed nature of our enthroned Reason, with its inability to cope with these unfathomable, paradoxical truths.

Should we, in contemplating such things, wonder at human suffering! We begin to appreciate Jesus’ warning that unless one becomes as a little child one cannot enter God. We also begin to understand some of the causes of difficulties within our human condition, of the conflicts and miseries of our world, and of the corruption of our society in social and personal injustice and discord.

We may regret or resent these global difficulties and evils, and our personal sufferings. We seek to evade them and to avoid discipline of our sensuality and materialism that bind us from the Spirit of God in our lives. We cling to our bonds although we are created for the freedom of eternal union with You our almighty Creator, despite the redeeming anguish, love, humility and submission of God incarnate in His forging of our bridge to You.

Yet should we not welcome that where You permit, we are tested in faith, labour and suffering to loosen excessive attachment to our limited mortal existence! Our need of You is often diverted into search for material satisfaction that increases our frustration and confirms our failure to love others and You truly.

When we choose against God, we curtail the working of Your grace in our lives. This choice draws disaster upon us in the form of injustice, intolerance, loneliness, immorality and war. If we then resent and blame You, we mock ourselves, because You owe us nothing, but offer all. Should it surprise us that sin brings retribution? Should we wonder why we endure natural disasters, when we betray the Creator of all things?

We are often aggrieved at the suffering of innocents, but answer lies in the racked body of the sinless Saviour. Jesus hangs dying in grief and pain to expiate the offences of all human persons for our eternal salvation. Through Jesus, lead us into childlike faith and cheerful daily acceptance of our vocations with their satisfactions and their difficulties. Give us the spirit of the child whom You wish each to be as we say, “Here I am. Your will be done in and through me. Through Your Son, lead me beyond myself, beyond all created things, into Your infinite, loving self, in union with the communion of saints.”

Our God, as the consecrated bread is the infinite Son of God, yet is brittle, mutable wafer, so let me be one in You despite my frailty and unworthiness. Great God, Creator of all things, thank You for Your gifts of creation and existence, and for the mercy that restores Creation and eternal blessedness to Your difficult human creatures.

Have mercy, our God, for our limited understanding, our misconceptions, our pride and our self-doubts, along with the stark realities and sufferings of this world, frequently lead many of us to falter in faith or to abandon it completely.
We believe Lord God. Please increase our faith.

I hope that gives you some sense that our limited perceptions of God are not descriptive

For the rest, see the Gospels.

God’s kind blessings to you.*

I think you are incorrect in seeing God as not being individually concerned with you. Based on your theological studies I am guessing you know your way around Scripture.

Christ speaks to us in parables so we can better understand God our Father. Clearly here He rejoices when we come to Him with a contrite heart. Read and reread the following from Luke 15:

The Parable of the Lost Sheep.a

• The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to him,
    but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”b
    So to them he addressed this parable.
    c “What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost oned until he finds it?e
    And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy
    and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
    I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.f

The Parable of the Lost Coin.
“Or what woman having ten coins* and losing one would not light a lamp and sweep the house, searching carefully until she finds it?
And when she does find it, she calls together her friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found the coin that I lost.’
In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
The Parable of the Lost Son.
Then he said, “A man had two sons,
and the younger son said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of your estate that should come to me.’ So the father divided the property between them.
After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation.g
When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need.
So he hired himself out to one of the local citizens who sent him to his farm to tend the swine.
And he longed to eat his fill of the pods on which the swine fed, but nobody gave him any.
Coming to his senses he thought, ‘How many of my father’s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger.
I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.
I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers.”’
So he got up and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him.
His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son.’
But his father ordered his servants, ‘Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.
Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast,
because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.’ Then the celebration began.
Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing.
He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean.
The servant said to him, ‘Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’
He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him.
He said to his father in reply, ‘Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends.
But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with prostitutes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf.’
He said to him, ‘My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours.
But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’”

• [15:1–32] To the parable of the lost sheep (Lk 15:1–7) that Luke shares with Matthew (Mt 18:12–14), Luke adds two parables (the lost coin, Lk 15:8–10; the prodigal son, Lk 15:11–32) from his own special tradition to illustrate Jesus’ particular concern for the lost and God’s love for the repentant sinner.

One potential thing to think about is that this immutable Pure Act, who is so utterly unable to be harmed by you, nevertheless mysteriously wills your salvation so much that the Cross is the best expression of it in the physical world. It is not a selfish love ultimately seeking its own happiness, but an entirely selfless, generous love for you.

Another thing to remember is that our inability to fully comprehend God handicaps us in approaching this sort of issue. Consider emotion. All that is good about emotion has its source in infinite goodness of God, but because since we can’t comprehend that infinite goodness the absence of this comprehensible finite good (emotion) can cause us to start to imagine God as something less good and loving than an emotional creature rather than the reality, which is that He is more good and loving than any emotional creature.

I also think when you say He had to become man just to feel for you this is also looking at the Incarnation in the wrong way.

He became man to more fully reveal Himself to us and to redeem His creation from the darkness of sin and all its suffering. In Jesus Christ, God showed us His intention for the human being made in the image of God. He knows us so well that He did not have to become human to feel for us, but by becoming man we can identify with His humanity, and unite ourselves to Him as members of His body.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.