Need some serious help

I am not even sure where to start with this…

I am a Catholic - born and raised. I was very “into my faith” while I was in high school. I loved going to mass, experiencing God as often as I could, etc.

About 6-7 years ago, I feel away from my faith. I just didn’t really care anymore. All the time I was in college and for the last year, I have not gone to mass - unless I was home with my parents or at a wedding, etc.

A few weeks ago - I felt my heart turn back to God. I wanted to have that personal relationship with God back in my life.

I have been questioning whether or not to remain a Catholic - I was feeling very unsure about it and have actually been visiting a protestant church. After praying about it - I think I have concluded that I need to go back to the Catholic Church - it is where I belong.

I still have lots of lingering doubts in my mind. One of which is about the worship service that I have been attending. I love the contemporary style of music and the message - I feel fulfilled when I attend. Although I know I need to get back to Mass - I know I will miss this other church. Would there be anything sinful about attending both? (And yes, I mean both in one weekend - if I couldn’t do both for whatever reason - I would go to mass and not the other service).

I desperately need to go to confession, I feel unfit to attend mass at this point - but I am terrified of going. I have so many sins on my soul.

I feel lost and confused. I am broken from my past. I am desperately seeking God - praying every day and reading the bible when I can. I just need help!

Hello MrsMeganMc,
Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums. To address your questions up front, I will begin with saying this:
The Catholic Church is where you belong, she is the One True Church. All other churches have came about or have been started by people. Jesus himself commanded Peter, the First Pope, to spread His Teachings, to build His Church. The Catholic Church is the ONLY Church created by God Himself.

I still have lots of lingering doubts in my mind. One of which is about the worship service that I have been attending. I love the contemporary style of music and the message - I feel fulfilled when I attend. Although I know I need to get back to Mass - I know I will miss this other church. Would there be anything sinful about attending both? (And yes, I mean both in one weekend - if I couldn’t do both for whatever reason - I would go to mass and not the other service).

I dont believe that you may attend both church’s. But it is only in the Catholic Church that you can recieve our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in The Most Holy Eucharist. What else could be better! :slight_smile:

I desperately need to go to confession, I feel unfit to attend mass at this point - but I am terrified of going. I have so many sins on my soul.

I used to be terrified of going to Confession too. Well, I still do get nervous, and kind of scared. But it isnt anything you need to be scared about. The Priest is there to help! After Confession, youre soul feels so clean and good, its an amazing feeling! You will feel much better afterwards, trust me.

I feel lost and confused. I am broken from my past. I am desperately seeking God - praying every day and reading the bible when I can. I just need help!

Its ok to feel lost, I often fell that way. But do not despair, God is there for you, you are never alone. Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit so we may never be truely alone. Also, reading the Bible is good, keep doing so! :slight_smile: One final thing, like I said before, God is with you, and he will be there for you in His One, True, Holy Catholic Church! God Bless
Jacob :signofcross:

The desire for confession is one of the greatest gifts the Holy Spirit can confer on your heart. Thank Him for it. Then “just DO it!” We can all guess the kinds of things you probably have on your conscience, and frankly, if you go do confession after several years’ absence and you do NOT confess certain things, the Priest will wonder if your confession was integral. GO! Be honest, be clear, be thorough and then walk out of that place in TOTAL peace with God.

Somehow “missing contemporary worship” does not rise to the level of a serious reason for staying away from Home.

God love you.

Yes - I realize that contemporary praise and worhip is NOT a reason to stop being Catholic. I just really enjoy it a lot - and wanted to find a way to still enjoy it, while not denying my Catholic faith.

Thanks for your kind words.

Lots of Catholic parish have contemporary musig groups (nearly all bad). Also, places where they have Masses and other worship services with the Charismatic groups tend to have contemporary music and “kicked-up” preaching – all perfectly orthodox. Look around.

Let us know when you’re going to make that confession and we’ll pray for you. If you’re REALLY dreading it, ask Jesus to make it for you. He will. You may sweat and shake and get queasy in the stomach but if He takes over, you WILL make that confession and it will be the BEST day of your whole LIFE. I promise.

Praying for you to come home. Don’t worry about confession; the priest will help you. Remember what our Lord said, “I say to you, that there will be so much more joy in heaven over one sinner repenting, than over the ninety-nine just, who do not need to repent”. Luke15:7

I just went through exactly the same thing about 2 years ago. Had to drag myself to confession…cried my eyes out…I hadn’t been in 5 years and he gave me like 6 rosaries and then some as my penance. But I felt SOOOOO much better after I had gone. Before confession I felt like mass wouldn’t be enough because it was so boring and in my diocese it just isn’t…inspiring… at all. But after confession my eyes were opened to the fact that it’s not about how any religion makes me feel. It’s all about the holiness of the mass and what is really going on there. Go to adoration! That will help. The devil will do everything to keep you from Jesus. But he can never take away that inner peace that you will have from knowing you know the truth and will never let go of it. Welcome back :slight_smile:

Hello,

It takes a great deal of humility to acknowledge that you *need *the Church, but it can be a painful realization for that precise reason.

You should discontinue going to these contemporary worship services so that you might solely concentrate upon the riches which the Catholic Church contains – true riches which have no comparison, no matter how seemingly exciting, relevant, or contemporary. Take time to re-learn what it means to be Catholic. You may have been catechized as a child, but all kids fall asleep during catechism class and none of these riches are truly learned. We all have to learn and re-learn even the basics so that we might appreciate them in mind, body, and spirit.

Go to confession. Sure, it takes a great deal of humility to confess to another person, but there is not a single sin which the priest has not heard before. Not only will you clear your conscience, but you start to feel free as you have never known freedom. Imagine, if you will, being set free from the prison of your sins and guilty conscience.

I feel fulfilled when I attend.

**Christian worship, especially in tradtional pre-reformation Churches, is NOT about you or feeling fulfilled.

(Comment of a pop-evangelical lady after attending Vespers in an Orthodox Church: “I know it sure wasn’t about me!”)**

Hello,

Could you elaborate on this statement, please?

While I would agree that Mass, in either the Orthodox or Roman Catholic tradition, is not nearly as exciting – not containing contemporary hymns in a pop/rock vein, effervescent preaching, or a sense of a social gathering, per se – I would think that understanding the mysteries of the sacraments and taking time away from the noise of the world would be and is *immensely *fulfilling.

There are some Saturday and Sunday evening Masses that are geared towards children and teens, that use upbeat “praise and worship” music - maybe this would ease the transition back into the normal Mass.

As for Confession, the priest is there to give you the Absolution; not to give you heck or to make you feel bad. :slight_smile:

If it makes you feel any better about it, I always go into the Confessional terrified, and come out of it wondering what on earth I was so worried about. :slight_smile:

I did not say that mass is not fulfilling - I was simply stating that this worship service left me feeling fulfilled.

I am sure that as I continue to grow my faith, that mass will become more and more fulfilling to me - esp. as I gain a deeper understanding of all of the “good stuf” within it.

I can’t help but to continue to feel doubt…I am praying a lot and I do, sincerely, want to come back to the Church - but there is this voice inside of me, telling me that it is not necessary to go back…that I can chose another denomination if I want.

As I said above - I am feeling very confused.

I think that God has given you the grace to continue your journey back to the church. I just am in awe how he works in our lives. Take heart in knowing that as you continue going to Mass you will have less desire for the music so forth. When you do take communion believe me you will know your home. I am not just saying this I have had this experience. Confession is part of the process of healing. I am praying for you, and so very happy that you have the desire to be Catholic.

Here is a bit of trivia for you - did you know that when the priest pours a bit of water into the wine when he is preparing the Altar, that it is because of the blood and water that poured forth from Christ’s side at the Crucifixion? (John 19:33-34) :slight_smile:

I can’t help but to continue to feel doubt…I am praying a lot and I do, sincerely, want to come back to the Church - but there is this voice inside of me, telling me that it is not necessary to go back…that I can chose another denomination if I want.

The bottom line for me with the Catholic Church is that it is the one that Christ founded. The rest of them were established more than a thousand years after His ascension into Heaven. To me, I’d rather be in the one that He founded directly, than in any imitator, no matter how good the music might be, or the fellowship, etc. After all, it’s not the music, or even the friends I make, that are going to save my soul, but Jesus, Himself.

It’s not even about the music or the fellowship, although that is a part of it. It’s about the way that church makes me feel and the way that I feel God speaking to me there. I feel challenged in my faith and feel excited for the week ahead. How could that be so wrong?

This is my internal struggle.

Sorry - my quotes got a little messed up…

God isn’t going to stop speaking to you, if you come to the Catholic Church. In fact, He will speak even more clearly to you, because you will have the advantage of learning correct doctrine, at the same time. :slight_smile:

This is my internal struggle.

It’s actually a good sign, that it’s a struggle.

If there were no struggle, I’d be worried about you - about your ability to commit, and your ability to know what you are doing at any given time. It should be a struggle, because when you joined that church, you had good reasons, and they were reasons that didn’t fade away with the passage of time. Struggling shows that you have good judgment - that you went into a place that really was good for you, and met some important needs.

Struggling also shows that you have another need - a need that is not being met in your current community, but that could be met by the Catholic Church. (Because, otherwise, the choice to stay in your current community would be absolutely simple - there just wouldn’t be any question about it; you would just stay there.)

First of all, know you are not alone! God loves you so much, more than you could ever comprehend. And the Catholic Church is his true church, your true home. I believe that, and I am not even technically a Catholic yet–I’m converting after being Lutheran most of my life. You are fit to attend mass! Don’t let anything stop you, truly. Go. I would, however, highly recommend going to confession before receiving the Eucharist. Don’t be afraid! Confession is completely confidential, and you will get immense relief afterwards. In the mean time, do go to mass. I can’t receive the Eucharist yet, but I still get a whole lot out of being there. I even joined the choir, and I sing every week. The Mass is heaven on earth, literally. Don’t be afraid to go!

As far as attending another church, I don’t think there’s a problem to it, as long as you stay true to being Catholic. For instance, I wouldn’t take communion at a Protestant church. But I think it’s fine to go worship at one! In fact, it’s probably a good thing to do, as it might help promote Christian unity. Just make sure you always make Mass a first priority, and get yourself built back up in the Catholic faith, so that if you hear or are confronted with teachings contrary to the Catholic church, you won’t be confused.

My prayers are with you! Might I suggest praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and the Rosary? As a fellow sinner, both have helped me immensely, and brought me peace. :gopray2::hug3::blessyou:

I’d just like say that I have enjoyed this thread so much. It has made me feel so grateful for being a Catholic - not that I wasn’t. I don’t know any of you personally but feel as though I do because we are one in Christ. This is what communion really means.:grouphug:

Couples for Christ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.