Need some thoughts on wearing a crucifix

I'm in RCIA right now and I recently bought a nice crucifix and had it blessed.

Here's the thing I'm getting hung up on. It's big enough so that if people look at me they know what it is but it's not huge or anything and I love wearing it in plain sight. I'm a little worried though that I may screw up in public and be a bad example to those who don't know God or who have preconcieved notions. I love wearing it in sight though because I am so proud that I have become religious, especially Catholic, after years of not even giving religion a second thought.

Let me know what your thoughts are. This may sound kind of goofy but it weighs on my mind. I mean, should I continue to wear it in sight so that I do think more about how I represent God, or should I tuck it away for my personal use so that if I do something dumb people are not turned off?

[quote="texasag7599, post:1, topic:182390"]

Here's the thing I'm getting hung up on. It's big enough so that if people look at me they know what it is but it's not huge or anything and I love wearing it in plain sight. I'm a little worried though that I may screw up in public and be a bad example to those who don't know God or who have preconcieved notions. I love wearing it in sight though because I am so proud that I have become religious, especially Catholic, after years of not even giving religion a second thought.

Let me know what your thoughts are. This may sound kind of goofy but it weighs on my mind. I mean, should I continue to wear it in sight so that I do think more about how I represent God, or should I tuck it away for my personal use so that if I do something dumb people are not turned off?

[/quote]

Once you start wearing it, it will just become part of you. Yes, it will remind you to behave yourself better, but don't worry if you don't, always. If someone comments, you can just say, "I'm a work in progress." They will still have learned something about Christianity that they didn't know before. (That you don't have to be perfect, to become a Christian.) :)

[/quote]

First, I wear a 5 inch San Damiano crucifix, as part of my CFP lifestyle. A cheapo $10 of paper and wood. And the only result is that some people have asked me if I was a Priest?:rolleyes:

Go ahead and wear it. If you make a goof, just apologize. Nobody's perfect, not even Catholics. But wearing that crucifix might be a reminder to NOT make a goof, and that you are supposed to set a good example.

These opinions have not been endorsed by my 3 cats:blush:

[/quote]

If you wear if with a spirit of humility you will have no worries. I think it is great that you have the enthusiasm.

God bless

Lol, a few days ago at church somebody asked me if I was a sister!?!? I said no, and he said, “Well, you sure look like a sister.” I guess because I was wearing a skirt? :shrug:

If you feel like wearing it in public, do it, if not, then don’t worry about it. I have noticed though, when wearing it visibly, I tend to take a little more time before communicating things of depth, just because of the impression it makes, simply being visible like that.

There is a bishop that mentioned it, and it got reported some some media, that he recommends people do so, for this time of year to remind people of what this holiday is really about.

:hmmm: Maybe God’s trying to tell you something?:smiley:

Actually this sort of thing is what got one of my friends praying about, and looking into, the priesthood. I was one of the five people in the last week that said, “hey I know this will sound weird, but you just look very priestly right now,” and he just smiled and said, well… :smiley:

But come on, people still wear skirts these days, don’t they?:confused:

As a biological male, I sometimes wear a skirt.:rolleyes:Really. A knee length, wrap around skirt, of wool, in a tartan pattern. Also known as a “kilt”.:thumbsup:

I wear a silver cross with black simple cross embedded in it. When you put it on in the morning, ask God to help you to wear it well - and when you take it off at night ask yourself “Have I worn this well today?”. And don’t be devestated and discouraged if now and then you may not wear it as well as you could - God has good use even for our mistakes. The important thing is to daily resolve to wear it well.
I think since nuns and priests took to secular clothing, quite often laypeople wearing a cross or crucifix are mistaken for a priest or religious. The lines between priest, religious and layperson with the abandonment of clerical clothing and religious habits is blurred in the minds of some. And I dont think it is any sort of real problem as long as we laypeople strive to wear our cross or crucifix well, especially if it is blest.

TS

:rotfl: Haha, thanks for the reply BVM:)

[quote="ljubim, post:7, topic:182390"]
:hmmm: Maybe God's trying to tell you something?:D

Actually this sort of thing is what got one of my friends praying about, and looking into, the priesthood. I was one of the five people in the last week that said, "hey I know this will sound weird, but you just look very priestly right now," and he just smiled and said, well... :D

But come on, people still wear skirts these days, don't they?:confused:

[/quote]

I think maybe God is making fun of me.

Lately, several people in my family said, "I could see you being a nun." Actually, my dad told me that this came up in a conversation with other family members when I wasn't there. :confused: Also, almost a year ago I went to dinner with a group of people, including my boyfriend at the time who I was thinking of marrying, and there was a Catholic priest there – and later one of the people told me that this priest had said I wasn't going to get married, I was going to be a nun. I wasn't there so I don't know if he was serious; it was probably a joke. But, my relationship did end soon after.

I don't think I would make a good sister, though. Seems like religious orders want women who are cradle Catholics from great families, virgins, have a great social life, and like sports. Well I am none of those things. I'm just a bookish convert who messed up her life because she didn't find Jesus soon enough, who is weird enough to be mistaken for a religious sister but too weird to ever be one. :(

And yes, I know lots of girls my age who wear skirts.

[quote="Student09, post:11, topic:182390"]

And yes, I know lots of girls my age who wear skirts.

[/quote]

The problem is though, the OP is a man. :) ..... sorry about hearing of your troubles, we all have our crosses to bear.

[quote="prodigalson12, post:12, topic:182390"]
The problem is though, the OP is a man. .

[/quote]

Yes, I know he's a man. Nobody suggested he was wearing skirts. :confused:

Sorry for getting the thread on a tangent and for being so negative. I shouldn't post when it's late and I'm feeling self-deprecating.

I have a dear friend that’s just like you in your plight. Sending my condolences over, nothing wrong with being devoted, if you were among others of the same devotion, you’d find yourself not so much at odds with things. It doesn’t mean limiting yourself to only being around formal, religious vocation types, just know the people you are talking about, may really not have as much of a grasp on things spiritually, don’t fret if you can’t fit into their world, you have left that behind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.