Need strength, please help me

My father moved halfway across the country 20 years ago after a very, very nasty divorce from my mom. My dad hasn’t been the easiest person to get along with, I love him, but we have had some knock down arguments b/c he has a tendency to be controlling and I’m an independent, private person. Oh, and he’s Baptist and has been known to insult my faith. It hurts and makes me mad.

Now, I’m a grown woman with a family and a happy home life. My dad is almost bankrupt and is moving back to my home town to try to restart his business. He has been here 6 days and he’s already starting with me. I can’t even put into words how worried I am that he’s going to cause a big blow up. I have two young kids and I don’t want them experience what I did from him when I was a child.

He is living with us until he finds a place to live. What am I to do? Turn him out? No. I won’t do that, but he refuses to respect me, my routine and my preferences in my house. For instance I have a cleaning lady once a week and I asked (very politely) that everyone be out of the house while she’s here so that she can get her work done properly. He and my stepmom became angry that I was “kicking them out”. Then he doesn’t like our coffee pot so he bought one to have for his own coffee and plopped it right in the middle of our kitchen counter. Later in the day I asked him if he could move it somewhere else b/c I need the counter space, well he was miffed that I asked (nicely) to move it. He leaves boogery tissues around the house and used dental floss. It’s like if I ask him to pick up after himself or conform to our household he says I’m being disrespectful. It has been this way my.whole.life. Which is why I was relieved when my parents got divorced and he moved halfway across the country.

I need strength guys. Please ask God to get me and my family through this. It’s only temporary that he’ll live with us but we don’t know how long and in the mean time I’m walking on eggshells and it’s not a pleasant thing.

If you have any words of wisdom, encouragement I am all ears.

I went to confession today and asked the priest to help me, he suggested frequent mass, confession and carrying a rosary. I go to weekly mass, but maybe I need to go to a weekday mass and adoration. I always feel peace in adoration. I also sleep with a rosary on my bed b/c it gives me comfort.

I don’t know, I could really use your support in prayer. Thank you.

CP, Will certainly pray for you and for patience. Will keep you in daily prayers so this time is bearable for you…

It really isn’t much fun when God allows us huge opportunities to extend His love and gospel attitudes, to live out what we profess, when there is nothing offered in return but aggravations and insult!
And He seems to allow it when we may not have much energy in reserve because of our responsibilities!

I ask God to be generous and constant in His promptings and graces to you in this difficult situation. If your Dad acts so grossly in personal hygiene and tactlessness and sees no harm in it, he probably won’t, so I ask God to give you all the graces you need. If there is any degree of autonomy or control in your ways, that God may see as a little too much, then I ask Him to help you to let go of anything that is actually inessential…but I do ask Him to rescue you from this situation before it becomes a source of too much anxiety and stress and a cause of further relationship breakdown.

I hope things sort out soon…love, Trishie

Father,
Please bless the faithfulness of Your daughter. She is persevering in being Christ to the world and obeying the Commandment to honor her parents. Despite what her dad does, she is trying to remain true to Your Word.
Please help her to stay calm and patient during this time of conflict and may you bless her generosity and charity.

Help her see this as a cross to carry and may she tack this small cross on behind the Cross of Your Son, our Lord, Jesus in hopes that He will carry it for her!

Also, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, please change the heart of her dad and his wife. Help them to realize more fully their responsibility and obligation as Christians. Help them to remember that Jesus said that the world will know we are His disciple by our love for one another. May the see that catholicpumpkin is fulfilling this and that they should learn from it.

Please help this family unite!

Amen, Amen!
+

It is difficult but it is also a great opportunity to practice charity at home and to make your heart bigger than it is. You can do this. God bless you

I’m praying for you, CP. :gopray:

God grant you, His peace & strength.
His protection, also, for you & your family.

May God, also, help your father to ‘get back on his feet’.

Perhaps, any extra stress (& inner fears) that he may be experiencing, due to his recent financial problems, may be helping to bring out such negative responses, on his part.

praying

It sounds like the Priest knows what will help. Praying that you and your family will be able to get through this peacefully.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your prayers mean so much to me.

It seems we are close to a resolution, my dad plans to be moved out by Friday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.