Need to know ASAP: What is the proper way to sterilize a chalice?

So our priest has the flu, but he celebrated Mass yesterday. Today, he is still sick, and we have a substitute priest coming. I don’t want our substitute priest to get sick. What is the proper way to clean the germs off the chalice and other vessels? Can I clean them with rubbing alcohol and then rinse it with water down the sacrarium?

If it has already been purified, regular soap and water is fine, with no need to use the sacrarium (though you can if you want)

Let it air dry

Here is some relevant information

ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur66.htm

The ciborium may be purified by hand in the same manner. But because of the large number of small particles in this vessel, it is often necessary to purify it directly with water. In this case, water is placed in the ciborium, gently swished to absorb all the particles and this water is then poured directly into the chalice. Extra chalices are likewise purified with water.

The minister then consumes the water containing the particles and should not pour it into the sacrarium.

The minister then dries the ciboria and the chalice or chalices with a purificator.

When this process is completed, and only then, may the sacred vessels be washed with other elements such as soap. This is usually unnecessary and should not be done on a daily basis except, perhaps, when many people partake of the same chalice. Excess washing can cause expensive damage to the metal parts of the chalice. ZE05020822

70% isopropyl alcohol can be used on many items and I use it often on phones, key boards, remote controls, etc. Handy to know in flu season.

When I asked someone at the health department about this the last time the flu was going around, he said that the influenza virus would not survive on a dry surface overnight. Influenza is a nasty disease, but the virus itself is not robust. Even in a situation where it might be a concern that the vessels would not have been dry for long enough, the mild soap solutions normally used to clean the sacred vessels ought to be fine.

There are a lot of parishes, however, which are dispensing with touching during the Sign of Peace and not distributing Holy Communion under the species of wine, to avoid sharing a common chalice. That being said, according to the CDC, those who receive Holy Communion daily via a common cup do not get sick at a higher rate than the general population.

Rubbing alcohol should not harm the gold-plating, though.

Thanks for the replies! They were helpful. I did end up washing them in dishsoap and water, just in case, and used rubbing alcohol on some items as well.

You would be surprised that germs do not stay on the chalice. It is a safe way to recedive th Precioius Blood of Christ.

If you are that concerned, soap and water will do.

Don’t worry about it.

God bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.