Need to replace my trusty bible

I don't think I can nurse my old falling apart bible along much longer. I need to buy a replacement and as for so many people that is a bit of a problem, I have the old 1970-71 New American Bible. I know there have been 4 major editions over the years, some good and some not so good. I like the language and phraseology in my bible and the fact that it does not have gender inclusive language. What would you recommend as a good replacement for my bible that would be as close as possible to what I have?

Try the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition, you can get it from Ignatius Press or Amazon.

[quote="Jeff616, post:2, topic:320964"]
Try the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition, you can get it from Ignatius Press or Amazon.

[/quote]

I agree. It's a pretty good Bible. I bought mine on Amazon about a year ago, and I like it. But I also use the NWT (mostly this, but it's not Catholic) and the KJV. But the RSV-CE has a special place in my heart since it was my first Bible.

I'll try to find a link for you on the one I bought. It's quite small, but quite sturdy and you can take it anywhere.

EDIT: Here's the link:

amazon.ca/Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic-Bible/dp/0195288564/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364696216&sr=1-1

Since you are familiar with that edition, why not just buy another 1970 NAB? They are readily at cheap prices in good used editions. You should be able to buy one in almost new condition for under $10. Just search on e-Bay (or your favorite used books site) for 1970 New American Bible.

[quote="Bible_Reader, post:4, topic:320964"]
Since you are familiar with that edition, why not just buy another 1970 NAB? They are readily at cheap prices in good used editions. You should be able to buy one in almost new condition for under $10. Just search on e-Bay (or your favorite used books site) for 1970 New American Bible.

[/quote]

Good suggestion! I didn't realize I could get a Bible of that age still in good condition. Thanks for the link. I will for sure check that out.

If you have made notes in the old Bible, especially if there were records of births, baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and deaths, I would have the book rebound in addition to getting a new Bible. The old Bible can be used as a legal document, in addition to being a family heirloom.

Any RSV edition is much better than the NAB.

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:3, topic:320964"]
I agree. It's a pretty good Bible. I bought mine on Amazon about a year ago, and I like it. But I also use the NWT (mostly this, but it's not Catholic) and the KJV. But the RSV-CE has a special place in my heart since it was my first Bible.

I'll try to find a link for you on the one I bought. It's quite small, but quite sturdy and you can take it anywhere.

amazon.ca/Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic-Bible/dp/0195288564/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364696216&sr=1-1

[/quote]

Both NWT and the RSV-CE?

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:3, topic:320964"]

[/quote]

Both the NWT and the RSV-CE?

Yupe, along with the KJV.

[quote="catholicguy123, post:9, topic:320964"]
Both the NWT and the RSV-CE?

[/quote]

NWT? Is that the New World Translation?

You know that this is a highly inaccurate translation put out by four guys from the Jehovah's Witnesses, right?

The Jehovah's Witnesses' NWT has no place in a Catholic home.

-Tim-

Anyone who reads the NAB regularly will love the RSV-CE or RSV-2CE. It is just as readable but isn’t so quirky. and it can be shared with many non-Catholics.

-Tim-

Get a combination bible that includes the following: Old Testament Douay Rheims Challoner Version–Confraternity New Testament–and a new English translation of the new Latin Psalms authorized by Pope Pius XII.

These bibles were published from 1949 through 1952 and can be found on ebay.

They are Catholic–not Protestant–and don’t have liberal modernist notes.

They are the least INACCURATE bibles that you will find anywhere.

My mom bought me one new in the box and love it.

TimothyH, when it comes to the NWT, the same applies to a Lutheran home, Baptist, Episcopalian, Methodist, etc, etc.My pastor once blindly pulled a Bible off the shelf in the library and began to read a passage. In less than one verse, I had serious questions about the translation, and it turned out to be the NWT. How it got into our library we have no idea.

[quote="Kanuckistani, post:10, topic:320964"]
Yupe, along with the KJV.

[/quote]

The other day it said that you were converting to Jehova's Witness, but it's not there anymore. Are you no longer converting?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.