Need verses on indiffretism fast!

I need as many Bible teachings about the fact that we have to seek out the absolute truth and can’t just settle for this group believing that and this other one believing this.

bump

1 JOhn 1

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not live according to the truth; but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

John 14:6:

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

[quote=Lazerlike42]I need as many Bible teachings about the fact that we have to seek out the absolute truth and can’t just settle for this group believing that and this other one believing this.
[/quote]

Lazer, are you getting in over your head here? Are you tangling with anti-Catholics? What happened to the question on mortal versus venial sin?

Give yourself a break!

[quote=mercygate]Lazer, are you getting in over your head here? Are you tangling with anti-Catholics? What happened to the question on mortal versus venial sin?

Give yourself a break!
[/quote]

If I may presume, let me give you some advice on apologetics, Laserlike:

If you are scrambling for verses at the last minute to throw them out in an argument about such a complex subject, I’d suspect you are going into it with not enough background or knowledge on the topic to pull it off. You’ll only end up making yourself and the Faith look bad.

If this is the case, perhaps you should allow yourself more time to study this and get back with the person or, if this is a one shot deal (like the person is leaving the planet or something), just eat it and prepare better for the next time.

I am an apologetics amateur, but what about in Revelations where Jesus speaks of the 7 different churches and where they need to improve? Maybe he was just critiquing HOW they did things and not in particular what they believed, but if it were permissible, why didn’t he just let them worship however they wanted? And why did Paul write all those epistles trying to get everyone on the same page? What you need to do is ask these secular quasi-Christian wannabes looking for any excuse to take the lazy way out if they can prove that believing whatever is okay by Jesus. I think you could make a better case for a non-contradictory God who doesn’t confuse his creation with conflicting “truths” than some pot-smoking hippie figure who endured torture so that everything could be “groovy” and nobody would ever feel bad for being wrong. :mad:

[quote=Fidelis]If I may presume, let me give you some advice on apologetics, Laserlike:

If you are scrambling for verses at the last minute to throw them out in an argument about such a complex subject, I’d suspect you are going into it with not enough background or knowledge on the topic to pull it off. You’ll only end up making yourself and the Faith look bad.

If this is the case, perhaps you should allow yourself more time to study this and get back with the person or, if this is a one shot deal (like the person is leaving the planet or something), just eat it and prepare better for the next time.
[/quote]

I talked a lot about this in a post I just put up in the mortal/venial thread. I do know my stuff… I just got into a situation today where I needed to write something up quickly and wanted to make sure there was nothing I was missing,

It’s a little more complicated than that, so go to the other thread if your interested. :slight_smile:

Ecclesiastes 15:13 The Lord hateth all abomination of error, and they that fear him shall not love it.

The Gospel of John tells us that “the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeks such to worship Him. God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth.” (John 4, 23-24) God could not require us to worship in truth unless He gave us a means of knowing absolute truth. The only way we can know the truth with certainty, is by having an external truth verifying source that is not capable of error.

All from the Revised Standard Version:
Jude 3 **Beloved, being very eager to write to you of our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

1 Thessalonians 5 19-21 Do not quench the Spirit, do not despise prophesying, but test everything; hold fast what is good

**2 Corinthians 13:5 **Examine yourselves, to see whether you are holding to your faith. Test yourselves.

Romans 16:17 I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who create dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them.

Phil 2:12 …work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Be careful what you do with these, Lazer…:slight_smile:

That’s a really good one, unfortunately you’re reffering to Ecclesiasticus not Ecclisiastes, so I doubt it will do me any good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.