Need your help about receiving Eucharist

A person on a Chinese Catholic Website insisted certain denominations of Protestant could legitimately receive Eucharist without converting to Catholicism. This person insisted it is allowed after Vatican II. This is bizarre to me. Could anyone provide Vatican document about who may receive Eucharist? I could not find any, after Googling. I am looking for a link from Vatican website.

I know for sure only Catholics without mortal sin may receive Eucharist. Protestants could not receive Eucharist unless they convert to Catholicism. So far I am the only one on that website try to correct this error. But that person strongly insisted that certain Protestants could receive. I hope to provide church document either directly from Vatican website or from other official church website for rebuttal. It will be great if you can help. Thanks.

I don’t know what discipline governs Catholics in China, since in that country they and other Christians are persecuted, so a Chinese Catholic should consult his own bishop.

If this is another website challenge the poster to provide an authoratative source. I am not sure what he is saying.
Receiving communion in a non-Catholic Church that does not have apostolic succession (that is all except Orthodox) is a meaningless exercise since it is not Christ present and is not a sacrament, and it implies a unity that does not, sadly, exist.
Catholic sacraments are for Catholics, and the normal way for a non-Catholic to become Catholic is reception into full communion via RCIA. Unless there is some extraordinary situation and the bishop has given permission, no, Protestants may not approach the Eucharist in a Catholic Church.

ask for a source, that is always the response when someone makes such an allegation.

Thanks for your suggestion. The website I am talking about is a website in Taiwan (the free part of China). Therefore, there is nothing to do with communist government. I found the following link after posting my thread, so I used it as my reply for rebuttal and hope it will help. vatican.va/holy_father/special_features/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_20030417_ecclesia_eucharistia_en.html

Pope John Paul II says in his encyclical:
Apart from the case of danger of death, the episcopal conference and the local bishop may specify other grave circumstances in which a Protestant may receive these sacraments although always respecting the conditions outlined above in the Holy Father’s encyclical: “that the person be unable to have recourse for the sacrament desired to a minister of his or her own Church or ecclesial Community, ask for the sacrament of his or her own initiative, [and] manifest Catholic faith in this sacrament and be properly disposed” (No. 131).

Therefore in general it is not possible for you to give Communion to Protestants. But if you find one who fulfills the above conditions, you should advise the local pastor so that the person may receive reconciliation and anointing of the sick.

I’ll see if the person is convinced by Pope John Paul II’s encyclical. If not, I’ll ask for the source of her saying. Thanks for your help.

The poster in the Chinese website I mentioned above said according to Cannon law 844 - 3, other Christian denominations can receive Eucharist as long as the priest allows.

§3 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick tomembers of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the sameposition as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.

When I post Cannon law 844-4 as follows, she said 844-3 and 844-4 are totally independent. If you have any good way to reason with this, please help.

§4 If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgement of the diocesan Bishop or of the Episcopal Conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments to other christians not infull communion with the catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who spontaneouslyask for them, provided that they demonstrate the catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and are properly disposed.

To me the above paragraphs are related. Only in emergency or special situation, with the approval of bishop, a non-Catholic can receive Eucharist. How are you going to reason with the claim that 844-4 has nothing to do with 844-3?

Thanks for your help!

Since no one gave any input to the above question, I did more study myself and came up the following understanding. When we read further of Cannon law, it is clear that the emphases are on** “properly disposed” , “Bishop’s approval” and “no general claim”. **

§2 Whenever necessity requires or a genuine spiritual advantage commends it, and provided the danger of error orindifferentism is avoided, Christ’s faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a catholic minister,may lawfully receive the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick from non-catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.

§3 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick tomembers of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the sameposition as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.

§4 If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgement of the diocesan Bishop or of the Episcopal Conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments to other christians not infull communion with the catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who spontaneouslyask for them, provided that they demonstrate the catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and are properly disposed.

§5 In respect of the cases dealt with in §§2, 3 and 4, the diocesan Bishop or the Episcopal Conference is not to issue general norms except after consultation with the competent authority, at least at the local level, of the non-catholic Churchor community concerned.

§2 talks about what Catholics are allowed to do with Non-Catholic ministers in emergency.
§3 is mainly pointing to eastern Churches.
§4 emphasizes on emergency situation for non-Catholic Christians.
§5 said all §2 §3 §4 must have Bishop’s approval and no general norms should be issued. What said in §5 apply to all §2, §3, and §4.

The person I tried to reason with on the Chinese website said “Protestants from some denominations can receive Eucharist” based on 844-3. That is obviously wrong. I have completed my response to him (or her) as above(in Chinese). However, that person still came back yelling and screaming, but that is no more my concern.

Thanks for your help and listening.

Eastern Churches are not considered “Protestant,” per se, but are in union in matters of faith with the Roman Catholic Church.

Their division goes back in history, but Pope John Paul II and the Patriarchs of various Eastern Rites, signed agreements on matters of faith and the Roman Catholic Church allows for members of the Eastern Orthodox to receive Holy Communion at Mass.

Also, there is some cases where Anglicans may be able to receive.

However, this should not be understood to mean members of other protestant denominations may receive the Holy Eucharist, they can not.

Jim

Yes, that is also my understanding. The main debating point was the poster said some of the Protestant denominations’ baptism was acknowledged by Catholic Church so they could receive Eucharist. He was using this sentence of Cannon law:

**The same applies to members of other Churches **which the Apostolic See judges to be in the sameposition as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.

Actually these other churches are not pointing to Protestants.

Although, the Church may acknowledge their Baptism, doesn’t mean they can
recieve the Eucharist.

Jim

Exactly! Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.