Need your prayers and advice

I’m in a horrible situation right now. I was in a relationship with a man for 2 years, and we were engaged and intended to marry. It was practically certain that we would marry. We made vows to each other, and I was so sure it would last forever. I love him with all my heart.

But very recently he left me, and now he is thinking of becoming a priest. I am completely heart broken. It’s been a few months since he left and today I spent the whole day crying and calling out his name. I prayed to God asking Him to kill me because I couldn’t stand the pain anymore. I still can’t. I think of dying a lot. The pain is literally unberable and it isn’t going away.

I don’t want to be alive anymore. Every moment is filled with unberable pain. When my faith is strong, I can barely hold on, but when I have doubts all I think about is dying.

I can’t imagine this ever getting better. I truly love him. I gave myself to him. I will love him until I die, and this pain will be here until I die or until he comes back to me, which I don’t think will happen.

I don’t really know why I’m writing this, because I can’t imagine anyone here being able to help me. But maybe…

In case any of you are worried about my life, I should say that I am seeing a psychiatrist and he knows about this. I am taking medication. My parents also know, and I would not actually kill myself.

I just want help to deal with this pain.

Hi Reena,

Try not to be too sad you lost him to God and I bet you that He already knows your pain and sorrow. Trust Him and believe me you will not regret it. One other thing I promise you that you will move on and things will get better. I was watching the movie about John Paul II and it seems that there was a women whom he loved and she loved him and he didn’t even tell her until he was a priest and her heart was broken anyhow they remained friends and she married a wonderful man. So please try not to be too depressed you are young and life is full of wonderful exciting adventures. Pray and love God and He won’t let you down. My prayers are with you.

God Bless
Kathleen

Reena,

I understand your situation, as it is similar to the one I am in currently. A month ago, after much prayer and contemplation and advising (we’re talking months here) I had to make the decision to break up with my girlfriend on 19 months. We had talked about marriage very seriously, and both of us loved each other. However, I was becoming overwhelmed with the problems that were in our relationship, mainly related to faith, interests, and goals. This girl was not bad, she was devoted to God, and she was moral, smart, and very beautiful; but my prayers of “Thy will be done” kept coming back with the answer that we weren’t compatible with each other. It was very tough for me to accept, but I had months of preparation from prayer; I don’t believe my girlfriend perceived any answer like that would come, though, so it’s been harder on her, especially since it just kind of abruptly happened.

I was very distraught and worried about being hated by her, but instead it is the opposite. We are praying for each other, even though we are heartbroken. The problem for both of us is that we are wondering where we will find a person who treated us with the same level of respect and love. I still am afraid of not finding someone, but I trust in God that in His time the girl He wants me to marry will come into my life. That doesn’t make things much easier, but it does give me hope. I will remember you in my prayers tonight.

God bless,
RockAndHoops

Reena, I’m so sorry for your pain. I know it seems like it will never go away, but believe me, it does. I was once very much in love with a young man but it just wasn’t meant to be. I pined over him for a very long time, but finally got over it. Now, after marrying the good man I have, I can’t imagine life with anyone else and at one time I thought there could never be anyone but this other guy.

I think almost everyone goes through a relationship or two that gets very serious but just doesn’t work out. His becoming a priest really is a side issue here, don’t you think? Because if you were meant to be together you would be.

It’s not much consolation to hear this just now, I know. It wasn’t for me, either. But, be assured God has someone/something truly wonderful for you–better than you could ever imagine. Just hang in there and let God direct your steps. All will be well.

I read your story just before praying Evening Prayer with my husband. I remembered you especially. God bless and keep you.

Praying for you Reena :gopray: I hope you´re doing better
:blessyou:

Reena,

I will say a prayer for you tonight.

My heart was broken a couple (or more) times before I was married. It takes time, but it will heal. Try spending some time with some girl friends, too, the ones that make you laugh.

Peace.

[quote=nobody]Reena,

I will say a prayer for you tonight.

My heart was broken a couple (or more) times before I was married. It takes time, but it will heal. Try spending some time with some girl friends, too, the ones that make you laugh.

Peace.
[/quote]

This post bears repeating. Time, prayer, friends… The pain will go away.

[quote=Reena]I’m in a horrible situation right now. I was in a relationship with a man for 2 years, and we were engaged and intended to marry. It was practically certain that we would marry. We made vows to each other, and I was so sure it would last forever. I love him with all my heart.

But very recently he left me, and now he is thinking of becoming a priest. I am completely heart broken. It’s been a few months since he left and today I spent the whole day crying and calling out his name.
[/quote]

Keep active and keep busy. Find a hobby that you can do with friends, or maybe join an exercise gym. Sometime we’re so disappointed and hurt that we dwell on it becuase we don’t want to feel good. You love this guy deeply and I’ll bet there’s a pretty big part of you that does not want to get over him because that would mean letting go of the dreams you had.

All you can see is today and how much pain your in. You can’t see a year from now or 3 or 5 years from now. You can’t see the wonderful man God has picked for you that you have yet to meet. You can’t see the beautiful children you will share with that man. Life would be so much easier if we could be able to see the top of the hill from the bottom of the valley.

Trust in God. How could you pick a better man then the one who created you? It sounds like this man may have been your first love. If he is called to the priesthood than that is where he will be happy, that is his vocation. Would you have him give that up for the sake of your own happiness? I don’t think you would if really thought about it. Love him - I never figured out how people can turn off loving someone like a switch. But love him enough to let him be who he was called to be.

You will get through this, but if all you do is sit around looking at photos and items that remind you of him, or lay in bed remembering all the things you shared (which I suspect you are doing), you can not expect to move forward. You must start living the life God has called you to.
You are in my prayers.

I pray that Our Blessed Mother hold you in Her arms and support you thru this. Jesus loves you both so much and only wants what is best for you. Trust Him, he has never let me down and he will never let you down. Give Jesus your pain and join your suffering to his, it is such an awesome gift to give because its all yours. The peace of Christ fill your heart and mind with His love and mercy.

Will keep you in my daily prayers.

Most people have been there. When I was in my early 20s, I was dating a girl I really had strong feelings for. When we broke up, I was devastated.

I eventually met another girl who has been my best friend and the love of my life. We’ll be married 47 years in February and have two sons we are very proud of. Our devotion to each other is very very strong. My niece calls us the oldest lovebirds she knows.

Looking back, the girl I broke up with was no where near the one for me. We had far too many differences and would not have had a good life together.

Hang in there and I pray that things will turn out well for you.

J†M†J
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

God Bless
In Jesus through Mary
Steve

My heart breaks for you. Depression is such a hard thing to handle. many of us understand the pain you are feeling. We have been there and some of us are still battling it. I say this to encourage you not a ploy for misery loves company. Please remember a few things. 1) you are loved and cherished by a God who’s love is unconditional. 2) God uses time to heal hurts and restore us. 3) this pain will soon pass… I know that is hard to believe but it is true. 4) you have a lot of people praying for you. They all care and love you for who you are. Through it seems darker than dark now the light will shine again. Please keep us up to date.

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary, mother of God pray for us sinners
now and at the time of our death.

Reena,
What your mind says? surely even if you are trying to find consolation…your mind maybe saying that he will come back.

1. there must be a reason for your breakup?
    2.Why he took a decision to become a priest? does he had that earlier?
    there are many things to analyze before coming to conclusion. anyway i will pray
    Dont worry everything is going to be perfect.
    Happy Christmas
    God bless

Hmm…
i see you have posted the same request 2 years ago??

Aug 20, '05, 4:13 pm
Reena
Banned Join Date: August 3, 2005

Need your prayers and advice

I’m in a horrible situation right now. I was in a relationship with a man for 2 years, and we were engaged and intended to marry. It was practically certain that we would marry. We made vows to each other, and I was so sure it would last forever. I love him with all my heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.