Needed: Liber Usualis 1961 or earlier

Dear friends,

Does anyone have an old Liber Usualis that they do not use anymore? I want one with the number 780 or 780c on the title page, a pre-Vatican II copy. The edition I need has modern round notation on 5-line staves with modern clefs. I already have a Liber with old Gregorian square (neume) notation on 4-line staves, but it is hard for me to read. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
God bless,
Rick

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a “pre-V2 Liber Usualis in modern notation.”

In fact, I’ve never even heard of a LU in modern notation before. The only ones I’ve ever seen have been in Gregorian notation.

I know you are looking for a hard copy, but in the meantime, you might have this link helpful

Thanks for the replies. There is a Liber Usualis dated pre-Vatican II published by Solesmes in 1924, and it is in modern notation. But it is very scarce and hard to find. I believe it has been reprinted but is very expensive. A few copies are on line for $120 or more. I don’t have that kind of money to spend. The code for the modern notation version is 780 or 780c. The old-style square notation edition is version number 801 which I already have and it too is pre-Vatican II. I have asked various monasteries and churches but no one seems to know about the 1924 print.

There is an online PDF scan of the modern notation version, but it is a very crude scan, the pages are crooked and the text is not clear - it must have been made from a very old copy. I once owned the modern notation version but gave it to another musician friend of mine. I wish I hadn’t done that, but I know she is happy to have it.

Rick

Try Preserving Christian Publications
www.pcpbooks.com

They have brand new reprints of the Liber Ursualis (but I’m not sure if that’s exactly what you need). Check under the heading “Latin Mass Titles”

You can also check their used section.

I found this in used for starters (they have about 30 different ones available)
Liber Usualis, The: With Introduction & Rubrics in English [Gregorian notation]
Benedictines of Solesmes, eds
1997 (reprint of 1953 ed. with additional material) xlix, 1921p + 59p supplement (E) $98.00 #45690

It says reprint of 1953, so perhaps that will help.

There were other versions available in used as well.

PS They also have the Kyriale in modern notation (under Motu Proprio titles). Would that help?

There are editions of the 1924 edition of the Liber Usualis printed in 5-line notation but they are very rare. Watch on Ebay as I see them once in a while.

Mocquereau’s editions since the early 1900’s were sometimes printed in 5-line notation as aid to singers.

Good Luck!!**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.