Needing Help on images and Mary

51 year old life long protestant here (Baptist/methodist/Church of God/you name it & I’ve probably attended LOL). My wife was raised Catholic but we have tried every protestant church in our area. I’m seeking the truth, & I have found myself very interested in the Catholic church.

I firmly reject the Scripture alone & faith alone doctrines of the Protestants. Looking back on my journey through all of these denominations I believe these were two of my biggest hang ups with them. I am in full 100% agreement with the Catholic church on these issues & was in full agreement immediately upon my researching it. Other easy agreements with Catholic was divorce, abortion, humility & humbleness. Some of the things that took me a while to approve include confession, Eucharist mystery (After researching I can see it both ways: actual change or symbolic as I was taught. Jesus did not say “this is a symbol of my body/blood”, but likewise He did not say “this becomes my body/blood”).

The 2 biggest hurdles I have left are Mary & the images. Try as best as I can I can’t seem to overcome these final 2 obstacles (for lack of a better term). I’ve always believed that Mary deserved a much higher regard than protestants give her, always. However, I can’t help but feel Catholics ssem to elevate her a bit too much. I think somewhere in the middle is appropriate. As far as the sdtautes & images, well I’m still very protestant on that issue LOL. Can’t get over that one as best as I try.

Bear in mind I’m not an intellectual guru; I believe that my spirituality involves a balance of intellect/emotion/faith. I would appreciate any help you can give me; how did you overcome these issues (or similar issues)?

The following links should assist you in better understanding Iconoclasm. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]What is an example of idolatry?
*] Carving statues and Images
*] Where are statues and saints in the Bible?
*] Where does the New Testament allow for graven images?
*] Do Catholics Worship Statues?
[/LIST]
Mary & the Saints:
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]The Intercession of the Saints
*]Is Mary’s and the saints’ intercession unbiblical?
*]What is the biblical reason Catholics pray to saints for intercession?
*]Saint Worship?
*]Is Prayer Synonymous With Worship?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.