Needs advice with a weird situation

Ok, so I’ll put it bluntly. I’m 16 and I like a guy that’s 13. He’s one of my best friends. He hangs out with people my age, he’s a great guy, and he looks and acts like he’s around 16. I didn’t want to like anyone, it just happened. What should I do? Is there a possibility that God wants me to like this guy? Because I don’t want to like him if he’s not part of God’s plan, but how can I tell?

A 3 year difference in age may seem like a lot. But ‘age’ is not what matters. Compatibility is a far more important basis to gain friendship.

As far as “God’s Plan” is concerned, it is not my place to say, but I will tell you that three years is quite the difference. :o If you want to pursue a relationship with this guy, by all means, be with him, but never–not for one second-- forget how much more growing he has to do. He is still a kid, as you are, but he is less mature than you are (and will continue to be that way til his twenties :p), therefore, he is more prone to mess up. :rolleyes:

For the record, I do know this by experience. I dated a guy who was two years younger than I was a few months ago; I was 17 and he was 15… it only lasted a week. :rotfl:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Ahh, thanks to both of you. So I guess my question is, is it wrong to date someone 3 years younger than you?**

As long as you follow God’s teachings.

It might be better to wait another year or two before pursing a relationship.

He is too young to “date” anyone IMO. Why not just continue to be best friends? You can still hang out together… that sort of thing. What more do you want? At his age, three years is just a little less than 1/4th of his entire life. So to answer your question - yes, it is too much of an age difference and you should NOT consider this boy anything more than a good friend.

If you live in the US… isn’t he like a 7th grader? And you’re a Sophmore maybe? That would be really weird. Regardless of how old he looks or acts… he is too young.

It sounds like one of those situations where you would want to get to know him really well, have a* really *good friendship, before making it an “official” realtionship. It would be a little unusual, granted, perhaps uncomfortable for an outside observer, but I wouldn’t automatically call such a relationship wrong, just so long as you don’t do anything funky if you know what I mean ;).

No, but it is risky, assuming that you two would be together even after you turn 18. When you become legal, precautions must be taken. :wink: You can actually become a registered sex offender-- last I checked, you don’t even have to “do” anything. :eek: (Please, correct me if I’m wrong about that, though. :o)

Ironically Yours. :heart:

Hi, I think it really depends on how old you are. If you’re 26 and you’re dating someone who’s 23, that can potentially work. But if you’re 16 and dating someone who’s 13, remember that he still has a lot of growing up to do, as other posters said.

lol thought about posting this earlier but thought someone might disapprove somehow.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships#The_.22half-your-age-plus-seven.22_rule

“Until” his twenties?? Men don’t ever mature!! :smiley:

My husband is 6 years older then I. My father is 18 years older then my mother. Whether a 3 year age gap is important is up to you.

PS: 13 is to young to really “date” though!

And maybe to the court system when one is 18 and the other is 15!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.