Negligence - Mortal Sin

Here are the questions:

1. If one does not know that he is a committing a mortal sin, is he guilty of the sin of negligence?

2. Can the sin of negligence be mortally wrong?

3. Does one have to atone for unknowingly committing a mortal sin?

4. Does one have to atone for the sin of negligence?

if you don’t know you are committing a sin, you are not commiting any sin.

you are negligent, and could at some point become guilty, if you fail to educate yourself on the moral teaching of Christ and his Church.

A person can be guilty of culpable ignorance. St. Thomas Aquinas goes into this and it is also recognised in many secular courts. If my memory is correct St. Thomas Aquinas suggests the ignorance itself can be a mortal sin in some instances.

newadvent.org/summa/2076.htm

Culpable ignorance is the lack of knowledge or understanding that results from the omission of ordinary care to acquire such knowledge or understanding.

ie. A person should know and could have known but for their own failure to acquire the knowledge which was readily available for reasons such as sloth, indifference, presumption etc.

I had lunch and was thinking about the questions that I posted. I came up with some of my own answers. Amazing how a hot dog can help you think!

He is only committing the sin of negligence if it was willful negligence.

The sin of negligence can be mortally wrong if it is willful and leads to a mortal sin.

Yes. We have to atone for all of our actions.

Yes. We have to atone for the actions to which the negligence lead.

Dear MtnDwellar, may I refer you to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC)?

1854 through 1864 _ This explains the difference between mortal sin and venial sin.

Most of us who attend church regularly and go to confession regularly have sins of the venial type.

Mortal sin requires full knowledge and consent. Venial sins, however, can lead to mortal sins if we do not convert or are not penitent. We must trust judgment and mercy to God.

If you read the entire section, I think you will gain a more complete understanding.:slight_smile:

I am familiar with those paragraphs of the CCC.

β€œ1860 Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense.”

If that was all of the information that I used to consider the ramifications of sin, then I would have to conclude that it is better for one to remain ignorant. Those paragraphs lead to the conclusion that through unintentional negligence one escapes the consequences of his actions.

I think that I have been thrown off because people say that we will have to atone for our sins. I believe that statement is incomplete. I suspect that we have to atone for our actions that harmed others or offended God whether they were sinful or not. An action may not be sinful, due to negligence. Forgiveness is not required, but we are still responsible for our actions.

hmmmm. I seem to be answering my own question :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.