Nehemiah 6:8 - hearts & minds

nehemiah 6:8 seems to be a direct statement from nehemiah about sanballet being a liar

I looked this verse up in several different translations and some of them source the lie from sanballet’s mind and some of them source the lie from sanballet’s heart

I don’t know greek or whatever the underlying language this english was translated from, but how could the english translation vary so much ?

what kind of greek words would be accurately translated into english as either heart/mind - soul, psyche, spirit ?

and of course any favorite websites that combine english/greek with concordance searches ? and aren’t there some other bible verses about words coming from the heart ?

here are some translations:

NAB
I sent him this answer: “Nothing of what you report has taken place; rather, it is the invention of your own mind.”

RSV
Then I sent to him, saying, “No such things as you say have been done, for you are inventing them out of your own mind.”

ESV
Then I sent to him, saying, "No such things as you say have been done, for you are inventing them out of your own mind

ASV
Then I sent unto him, saying, There are no such things done as thou sayest, but thou feignest them out of thine own heart

KJV
Then I sent unto him, saying, There are no such things done as thou sayest, but thou feignest them out of thine own heart.

YLT
And I send unto him, saying, `It hath not been according to these words that thou art saying, for from thine own heart thou art devising them

internet search & apologetics are amazing, all this info available

i found this gem website and it translated phrase by phrase into hebrew

scripturetext.com/nehemiah/6-8.htm

but thou feignest
bada’ (baw-daw’)
(figuratively) to invent – devise, feign.

them out of thine own heart
leb (labe)
the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect

then i searched “hebrew lab” and another website

bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew/heb.cgi?number=03820&version=nas

which had these meanings

inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding
inner part, midst
midst (of things) heart (of man) soul, heart (of man) mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory inclination, resolution, determination (of will) conscience heart (of moral character) as seat of appetites as seat of emotions and passions 1a as seat of courage

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.