Nehemiah verse numbering

I noticed that in the NABRE, the verse numbering in Nehemiah is different from most other Bibles, including the RSVCE, if I remember correctly. Why does a certain story starting at the beginning of chapter 4 in most Bibles, start towards the end of chapter 3 in NABRE? Are there other instances of this in the NABRE (not counting the various confusing Deuterocanonical numbering systems)? I’d like to use my Little Rock bible in ecumenical Bible studies, but I’d like to be prepared if there are other places like this. As far as I can tell, there’s nothing missing; it’s just that the verses are numbered differently. Any help from Bible scholars is much appreciated! Thank you.

It appears that in this place the New American Bible is following the numbering scheme found in the consonantal Masoretic Text. My guess is that most other Bibles follow the numbering scheme found in the pointed Masoretic Text.

In the Revised Standard Version, the footnote for 4:1 says, “Ch 3:33 in Heb,” and the footnote for 4:7 says, “Ch 4:1 in Heb,” where Heb denotes the Hebrew of the consonantal Masoretic Text of the Old Testament." (footnote source)

It appears that, for the same reason, the New American Bible has also moved 10:1 to the end of chapter 9. In the Revised Standard Version, the footnote for 9:38 says, “Ch 10:1 in Heb,” and the footnote for 10:2 says, “Ch 10:2 in Heb.”

Correction:
It appears that, for the same reason, the New American Bible has also moved 9:38 to the beginning of chapter 10. In the Revised Standard Version, the footnote for 9:38 says, “Ch 10:1 in Heb,” and the footnote for 10:1 says, “Ch 10:2 in Heb.”

Very interesting! I suppose this has to do with a translator’s choice of using vowels (I don’t know Hebrew but I heard it has no vowels), thus making the text longer?

Thank you for taking the time to look this up for me–I really appreciate understanding this.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.