Neighbors Say Planned Parenthood’s Billboard Goes Too Far

While a condom itself may not be graphic, in the context of the slogan on the billboard the image takes on added freight of meaning. The message is “Hey, go have sex!”

Here is some information from the FAQ on the program’s website:

• Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region is the lead agency behind the campaign, which is funded through HIV prevention funds provided by the Tennessee Department of Health through the Shelby County Ryan White Program and other funding sources.*
    freecondomsmemphis.org/faq/

I’m sure the message could be disturbing to some. It could’ve been worse, let’s be grateful for that.

If abortion is such a small part of what they do, why do they have to shut down clinics when the abortion money stops rolling in?

Former director of a Planned Parenthood, Abby Johnson, has said regarding the 3% claim:

And while Planned Parenthood says abortions make up just 3 percent of its services, I found they used an sleight of hand, unbundling family planning services so each patient shows anywhere from five to 20 “visits” per appointment (12 packs of birth control would show up as 12 individual visits). It does the opposite for abortion visits, bundling them together so each appointment shows as one visit. This skews the numbers. You have an overwhelming number of “visits” for family planning compared to abortion, even though you may have seen the same number of patients.

aolnews.com/2011/03/08/opinion-defund-planned-parenthood

I believe you are missing the point. Anything could be worse, that isn’t the point at all, and apparently the message is disturbing to many. Remember the antiabortion boards and how the abortion advocates complained?

Really? If this is true, it’s criminal.

Not in Utah. Please can we stop assuming that *every child in America *is seeing graphic images. I can tell you there are some that are not seeing what you think they are.

Please tell me about this. I have not seen Sesame Street in a few years (my youngest grew out of it a couple of years ago).

Thanks!

If they want to be racy, how about:

Planned Parenthood: In bed with Satan since 1942.

I thought of another, but it is too explicit to post here. I can’t stand these people.

If PP has no problem with showing images of condoms and talking about sex being free to our young children, then in turn they should have no problem with us showing their young children images of forceps and scissors, and speaking about how they (PP) kill babies.

Yes it is unfortunately true. Read this ippf.org/resource/Healthy-Happy-and-Hot-young-peoples-guide-rights from International Planned Parenthood’s “Healthy, Happy, and Hot: A young persons guide to their Rights, sexuality, and living with HIV.”

I AM SPEECHLESS! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I’ve lived long enough to know that the louder one denounces something in public the more likely it is they themselves do it in private.

After all, how many “pro-family values” politicians and religious leaders in the US have been caught in gay relationships?

“Do as I say, not as I do after all”.

Would you also say that Catholics are hypocritical for opposing gay marriage when 50% of the people in their parish support it?

Perhaps. It certainly doesn’t look good for claiming unity now does it?

Trash is trash. Just because you have one piece of trash that is less filthy than another doesn’t mean you’re still not picking up garbage.

Why can’t we all simply decry the message, the group, and the promotion in public, as any good Catholic Priest or Saint would do?

If Mother Theresa saw it, I doubt she’d say “meh, I’ve seen worse.” Let’s try and emulate the Saints, not the lowest common denominator in society.

I do not support Planned Parenthood when it comes to abortions. I wish they would just pack up and go away for good.

Are you accusing people of being guilty of using their services on the basis that they are protesting?

Or perhaps, “Planned Parenthood: Helping Your Kids to Have Sex and Abortions, so You Won’t have to think about it.”

There is a lot of truth here.

Many parents really do not want to think about what their kids are doing.
For one reason or another they are silenced.

Some feel guilty of their own indiscretions and feel they cannot preach more then they have done.
Others are embarrassed and cannot talk to their children.
Others just do not want to take responsibility.

And evil flourishes.

:confused: What are you trying to say? what doesn’t look good for claiming unity?
loudly denouncing in public equates to a guilty denouncer in hiding? Sorry…

You know what annoys me? Any time people complain about what’s on TV, they are told that anyoje who doesn’t like it can turn it off. Now PP is justifying their billboard ad and placement by saying that there’s bad stuff on TV!

(And I would not be too happy to be a Tennessee taxpayer right now, either!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.