Nelson Mandela has died

President Zuma has confirmed the death of former President Mandela.

May he rest in peace

May he rest in peace!

prayers for a great man’s soul

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of the womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.
:gopray2::signofcross:

Prayers for the repose of his soul. He lived a vivid example of forgivness. Hoping his country can unite around his memory and not tear themselves to pieces again.

Amen.

this is weird first mrs krabbable from the Simpsons dies then brian from Family guy dies then Paul Walker dies and now mandela dies ohh well there in a better place now

Praying for the repose of the soul of this great man.

According to Catholic belief, it is not our place to say what kind of a place they are in. Our faith teaches that all the departed are in need of our earnest prayers and supplications for the repose of their souls. However we cannot know for sure their final destination. Only canonized saints offer us that surety.

I immediately said a prayer for this man when I heard that he had passed. I was born in 1965 and he is one of the truly great men to have lived during my lifetime. May he rest in peace.

RIP

The world lost a great man today, let’s hope it never loses all of the good that he left behind.

I pray for his soul.
But I’m not so sure he was a great man…
Tell that to the people he “necklaced”.

No one is without sin.

Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela.

Do we have evidence that he was involved in such violence?

I’ll say a prayer for his soul, but he was pro-abortion and pro-homosexual.

I pray for him and his wife.

Any time there’s a thread like this involving a civil rights leader, I always wonder what CAF’s response to MLK, Jr.'s assassination would have been like if CAF existed at the time. I wonder how much dirt people would try to dig up on him.

It isn’t really digging up dirt on the man. He was loudly outspoken about homosexual marriage and abortion rights, and in fact, that dominated his later years more so than did apartheid. His ability to forgive is very meritorious. The other things are simply unfortunate facts that can;t be glossed over.

Nonetheless, neither his good or bad qualities change our duty to pray for the repose of his soul. We want all men and women to spend eternity with God.

Amen to that :thumbsup: No one is perfect anyway. How many of us can claim to have endured unjustified imprisonment for nearly thirty years because we dared stand up to a racist regime which denied people basic human rights based upon the colour of their skin? For his courage and conviction on behalf of his oppressed people, he deserves full respect and praise. His legendary capacity to forgive and hold no ill will towards his tormentors, is a striding example of Christian grace. As a human being made in the image of God he likewise deserves the courtesy of human kindness now that he has passed from this world, as everyone does no matter what they believed.

That doesn’t mean we gloss over his faults. Nonetheless, they need not be mentioned so soon after his death when we should be committing him to the mercy of God.

May he rest in peace for eternity.

Beautifully said.

What about all the babies that were murdered through abortion because proponents like Mandela have voted for the rights of women to kill their own young? – who cries for them?

According to some news reports, at his trial, he pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence. Personally, I am opposed to terrorism and bombings in public places, since these can maim or even kill innocent children who are too small and inexperienced to influence the politics of their country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.