Neo-Catechumenal Way

Does anyone know anything about the “Neo-Catechumenal Way”. I’ve heard that they celebrate Mass seated at a table, that they pass around communion, and that they celebrate Mass exclusively on Saturday nights. The reason I’m interested is that we have a new priest at our parish and his biography said that he discovered his vocation thru participation in the Neo-Catechumenal Way. So I’m just wondering what it’s all about. Thanks for any information. BTW, I looked them up online, but I am still unclear as to exactly what they are about.

[quote="ReginaCoeli, post:1, topic:280537"]
I've heard that they celebrate Mass seated at a table, that they pass around communion, and that they celebrate Mass exclusively on Saturday nights.

[/quote]

Those things aren't true. Read Vatican.va or Zenit and you won't find any of those lies there.

I don’t know much about it, but from what I am reading it isn’t just passed around, or left to sitting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocatechumenal_Way

I’d be interested in seeing more about it, especially seeing as the Holy See has approved it.

I just read today in Rome Reports.com that Pope Benedict XVI has asked the prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Lavada to look into whether or not their liturgical practices are correct or not. From everything I've read, including older posts on this forum, they do in fact celebrate exclusively on Sat. evenings, the do the sign of peace before the presentation of the gifts, and communion is given sitting. But I'm more interested in their philosophy; what they believe or what they are all about. I went to official website, but I found it very vague. I thought perhaps someone here may be personally acquainted with the movement. Thanks. :-)

It seems that there may be changes coming with regard to the NCW. This was a recent story out of Italy.

chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1350217?eng=y

They came to my parish a few years back to do some evening classes and such that would “change your life.” I honestly can’t remember a majority of what happened or was taught. It wasn’t valuable enough to remeber, but I don’t think it was “harmful” at least. The never said their own Mass so I have no personal experience of liturgical abuses.

Does anyone know anything about the "Neo-Catechumenal Way". I've heard that they celebrate Mass seated at a table, that they pass around communion, and that they celebrate Mass exclusively on Saturday nights. The reason I'm interested is that we have a new priest at our parish and his biography said that he discovered his vocation thru participation in the Neo-Catechumenal Way. So I'm just wondering what it's all about. Thanks for any information. BTW, I looked them up online, but I am still unclear as to exactly what they are about.

[/quote]

It's clear as mud isn't it? I was wondering the same thing when they came to our parish...and I really hate the answer...."well you will have to come to our meetings to find out..." But I can't tell you much more...it's been really quiet and I don't know anyone that goes.....:shrug: They don't celebrate Mass at our parish so I can't really help you there either....:shrug:

Does anyone know anything about the "Neo-Catechumenal Way". I've heard that they celebrate Mass seated at a table, that they pass around communion, and that they celebrate Mass exclusively on Saturday nights. The reason I'm interested is that we have a new priest at our parish and his biography said that he discovered his vocation thru participation in the Neo-Catechumenal Way. So I'm just wondering what it's all about. Thanks for any information. BTW, I looked them up online, but I am still unclear as to exactly what they are about.

[/quote]

The movement and its catechetical approach have the support of the holy Father; however, their deviations from the Liturgy do not have the approval of the Holy Father.

[quote="ReginaCoeli, post:4, topic:280537"]
I just read today in Rome Reports.com that Pope Benedict XVI has asked the prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Lavada to look into whether or not their liturgical practices are correct or not. From everything I've read, including older posts on this forum, they do in fact celebrate exclusively on Sat. evenings, the do the sign of peace before the presentation of the gifts, and communion is given sitting. But I'm more interested in their philosophy; what they believe or what they are all about. I went to official website, but I found it very vague. I thought perhaps someone here may be personally acquainted with the movement. Thanks. :-)

[/quote]

Well, I am a member, and have celebrated the Holy Eucharist with my community just yesterday (which I believe was not a Saturday), and communion was not received seated. Indeed, we exchanged the sign of peace right after the prayer of the faithful (which we are permitted to do by an indult [l’Osservatore Romano, English edition, January 9, 1989]). Whether you should believe everything you read in blogs where people air opinions, many of which are not founded on reliable facts, you can decide for yourself.
As for what we believe and are all about is Christian Initiation. We want to become Christians.

They mainly have two outlets, catechesis and the Mass. I believe that there is inherent value in the NeoCats, but it is clear that their liturgical aberrations have, at the very least, given the Pope pause. Enough pause for him to personally order the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to examine their practices.

Earlier in the year their “catechetical directory” was approved by the Holy See. Essentially what this means is that their faith-teaching program was found to be doctrinally sound and that they are allowed to teach their program as laid out by the catechetical directory.

However, their liturgies are… different. They do celebrate exclusively on Saturday evenings, and usually not on the main altar but on a table-like thing. They also have a different way of receiving Holy Communion.

I trust the Holy See in their judgement on the catechetical directory. However, at the current time this is not a group I would want to associate myself with as correct liturgy is not a concern I can just overlook.

[quote="nagyszakall, post:9, topic:280537"]
Well, I am a member ... As for what we believe and are all about is Christian Initiation. We want to become Christians.

[/quote]

You became a Christian the instant you were baptized. You can't get any more Christian than you were at that time.

You can, however, grow in holiness and Christian virtue. Hopefully that's what you meant to say.

[quote="nagyszakall, post:9, topic:280537"]
Well, I am a member, and have celebrated the Holy Eucharist with my community just yesterday (which I believe was not a Saturday), and communion was not received seated. Indeed, we exchanged the sign of peace right after the prayer of the faithful (which we are permitted to do by an indult [l’Osservatore Romano, English edition, January 9, 1989]). Whether you should believe everything you read in blogs where people air opinions, many of which are not founded on reliable facts, you can decide for yourself.
As for what we believe and are all about is Christian Initiation. We want to become Christians.

[/quote]

If I "believed everything I read in blogs (which what gives you the idea that I'm reading blogs at all, or in addition to anything else) I wouldn't be here asking for a "member" to educate me on the group, now would I? But thank you for the information, although I'm not sure I follow you on the "becoming Christian" aspect. If you were receiving communion, aren't you supposed to be Catholic thereby a Christian? Or do you mean becoming a better follower of Christ i.e; Christian? I really like this priest and this is why I am interested in the NCW. Thanks.

There supporters are very devoted and readily come to the defense of Kiko Arguello and Carmen Hernandez. Their techniques and catechizing activities have been both praised and ridiculed by many. The largest complaint to date other than the current issue was that they divided Parishes where they became active by separating from the main Parish family. I try to keep an open mind, but personally i do not understand how groups such as this can help The Church when they seem to separate themselves into a sub group. We are supposed to "Be One". I fail to see how creating distinct groups can advance unity in the Church.
The Gospel of Saint John; Ch. 17

"[11] And now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me; that they may be one, as we also are. [12] While I was with them, I kept them in thy name. Those whom thou gavest me have I kept; and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition, that the scripture may be fulfilled. [13] And now I come to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy filled in themselves. [14] I have given them thy word, and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world; as I also am not of the world. [15] I pray not that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from evil.

[16] They are not of the world, as I also am not of the world. [17] Sanctify them in truth. Thy word is truth. [18] As thou hast sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. [19] And for them do I sanctify myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. [20] And not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me;

[21] That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [22] And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: [23] I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me. [24] Father, I will that where I am, they also whom thou hast given me may be with me; that they may see my glory which thou hast given me, because thou hast loved me before the creation of the world. [25] Just Father, the world hath not known thee; but I have known thee: and these have known that thou hast sent me.

[26] And I have made known thy name to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me, may be in them, and I in them."

[quote="Dirt, post:13, topic:280537"]
The largest complaint to date other than the current issue was that they divided Parishes where they became active by separating from the main Parish family. I try to keep an open mind, but personally i do not understand how groups such as this can help The Church when they seem to separate themselves into a sub group. We are supposed to "Be One". I fail to see how creating distinct groups can advance unity in the Church.

[/quote]

The unity of the Church obviously can't come from not being divided into subgroups. There are dioceses, parishes, separate masses in parishes, etc. How are we united, then? In faith and obedience. If people who have abandoned the faith or lived a very lukewarm Catholicism are brought back to live a life of faith, obedience to the teaching of the Church (for example, obeying Humanae Vitae, and stuff like that) and apostolic zeal, this can only increase the unity of the Church, even if they attend a different mass of the parish. Can you see it now?

No, i do not. Unity is unity in all observances, unity in one Catechism, and Unity in one Hierarchy. Not a bunch of differing groups with differing ideologies who operate independent of the whole. The Protestants have been trying this for several centuries and it does not seem to be going so well for them. This division is setting the framework for further breaks in The Body of Christ.
"[21] That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [22] And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: [23] I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me."
Gospel of St. John 17

From H.H. Pope Leo XIII, Satis Cognitum
"1. It is sufficiently well known unto you that no small share of Our thoughts and of Our care is devoted to Our endeavour to bring back to the fold, placed under the guardianship of Jesus Christ, the Chief Pastor of souls, sheep that have strayed. Bent upon this, We have thought it most conducive to this salutary end and purpose to describe the exemplar and, as it were, the lineaments of the Church. Amongst these the most worthy of Our chief consideration is Unity. This the Divine Author impressed on it as a lasting sign of truth and of unconquerable strength. The essential beauty and comeliness of the Church ought greatly to influence the minds of those who consider it. Nor is it improbable that ignorance may be dispelled by the consideration; that false ideas and prejudices may be dissipated from the minds chiefly of those who find themselves in error without fault of theirs; and that even a love for the Church may be stirred up in the souls of men, like unto that charity wherewith Christ loved and united himself to that spouse redeemed by His precious blood. “Christ loved the Church, and delivered Himself up for it” (Eph. v., 25)."

Read the Encyclical here: papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13satis.htm

[/quote]

I don't know much about the NCW but I know several priests in my area that found their vocaition through it. And those priests are, without a fault, all liturgically conservative and outstanding confessors! So I wouldn't worry too much about your new priest.

[quote="Dirt, post:15, topic:280537"]
No, i do not. Unity is unity in all observances, unity in one Catechism, and Unity in one Hierarchy. Not a bunch of differing groups with differing ideologies who operate independent of the whole. The Protestants have been trying this for several centuries and it does not seem to be going so well for them. This division is setting the framework for further breaks in The Body of Christ.

[/quote]

Are you saying we have "differing ideologies" and "operate independent of the whole"? Are you calling us protestants?
I must say, I feel saddened, and do not agree with you.

You have misread my comments, and personalized them to use as a defense for the NCW. This is the attitude with many in the NCW that i find troubling. I stand by my comments as my personal opinion. And i stand by the teachings of the Church on Unity of belief and Unity in The Body of Christ.

I apologize for having misread your comments. I don’t understand in what I personalized them and given undue defense to the NCW, even less what it is that could trouble you.

If you don’t mind clarifying what you mean by differing ideologies and groups operating independent of the whole in reference to the NCW and support your statement with some sort of evidence, please do so. I am afraid, without clarification and evidence, that part of your statement remains unacceptable.

I totally agree with you on the Unity part and do not see anything in which the NCW harms that unity. On the contrary, the Holy See’s approval of the Statutes and the entire catechetical material of the NCW (full of references to the CCC, Church documents and the teaching of the Fathers) shows that the Hierarchy does not find either that it goes against the unity of the Church in any way.

We have Neocats at our parish. I must admit to mixed feelings. The ones I know are very good and I like them a lot. I do not see them as a divisive element in our parish.
There are many paths to holiness in the catholic church, it is one of the strengths of the church. Different people need different approaches.
That being said, I do find the liturgical practices unsettling, and they seem intent on pushing the envelope. For example, they have been told to attend normal Sunday mass once a month as regular members of the parish. They answer by saying they have opened up their
mass to the all parishioners, so they are abiding by this rule. Yet the mass seems “open” in name only, one gets the feeling they don’t really want a lot of non Newcats attending. Also, their solution is not infill owing the spirit of the rule.

I think it only a matter of time befor the Vatican severely restricts their liturgical practices, while encouraging their catechesis practices. It is hard to argue that they have instituted their own rite, and I don’t believe this will stand.

I hope if this occurs they will be humble enough accept the normal Catholic liturgical practices, while maintaining their distinctive and seemingly very good way of life and formation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.