Neo-Pagans Get Worship Circle at Air Force Academy

Neo-Pagans Get Worship Circle** at Air Force Academy**
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584500,00.html?test=latestnews

Witches, Druids and pagans rejoice! The Air Force Academy in Colorado is about to recognize its first Wiccan prayer circle, a Stonehenge on the Rockies that will serve as an outdoor place of worship for the academy’s neo-pagans.

Wiccan cadets and officers on the Colorado Springs base have been convening for over a decade, but the school will officially dedicate a newly built circle of stones on about March 10, putting the outdoor sanctuary on an equal footing with the Protestant, Catholic, Jewish and Buddhist chapels on the base…

It was going to come sooner or later.

I think the Air Force Academy was where there was some trouble a few years ago about overly aggressive prosytelizing by Evangelicals among the other cadets. This new thing ought to get those folks into a real dander.

I am proud to be an American, proud because of the soldiers that have given some or all for our rights. I would not restrain any; I don’t want to be restrained either.

that’s ok. it’s a secular military base, and logically if Muslims, Jews, and Chritians should have the space to worship, so should Neo-Pagans.

i guess i must have been living under a rock for the last 10 years because i did not realize that there were that many neo-pagans who were attending our air force academy. :confused:

the last i heard, they don’t just accept anyone into these prestigious military academies.
have the army and navy academies done the same to accomodate these wiccans - if that is what they call themselves? druids?

i can’t say that i approve, but if it is considered an official religion by the government, i guess that they are given the right to have a spot like muslims, buddhists, christians and jews. this is the world we live in today. :shrug:

Fort Hood has had a place where Pagans can worship for years.

I was pleased when Circle Sanctuary worked to have pentagrams carved on the headstones of fallen soldiers. The pentagram is recongnized along with the cross, star of David and the Muslim crescent.

As I understand the AFA in Colorado now recognizes an outdoor circle made of stones as a Wiccan/Pagan prayer center for use by their Neo-pagan cadets and officers.

Proportionatly Neo-Paganism has the highest amount of military enlistment. This news to me is awsome the reawakening just keeps on a-goin’! :dancing::extrahappy:

I think it is only a matter of time before we have our own Chaplins.

You could be right and I have served with Wiccans/Pagans in fact I was a Witch years ago; so I know what you’re talking about.

The problem I see is that with this religion is nobody agrees on what or whom to worship? I mean there is no one theology—that will be a problem for getting a Pagan Chaplin.

Will they do Druid-style human sacrifice? Does anyone see a problem with this? I find it ironic that at the Air Force Academy, where science and engineering play so prominent a role, that some incantation-chanting voudouns whose highest technical achievement seems to be a stack of rocks, would find a home that regards their eccentricities as worthy to stand alongside the great monotheistic religions. It's worse than I thought.

Funny you should call Christianity, Islam, etc. as inherently better than pagan religions. Last time I checked, when you go to Church you make a good deal of incantations as well. And don’t forget the great repression of science by the Catholic Church back in the Middle Ages.

[quote="chadwarden, post:11, topic:185326"]
Funny you should call Christianity, Islam, etc. as inherently better than pagan religions. Last time I checked, when you go to Church you make a good deal of incantations as well. And don't forget the great repression of science by the Catholic Church back in the Middle Ages.

[/quote]

Just b/c a lie is continually perpetuated doesn't make it true.

This isn’t true. The Church was a great patron of the natural sciences. Some of Copernicus’s work and Galileo’s were condemned because it was perceived to be contrary to Scripture. Even so, Copernicus did a lot of other scientific work that was never questioned, and even his heliocentric theory was not condemned until 60 years after his death.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:13, topic:185326"]
This isn't true. The Church was a great patron of the natural sciences. Some of Copernicus's work and Galileo's were condemned because it was perceived to be contrary to Scripture. Even so, Copernicus did a lot of other scientific work that was never questioned, and even his heliocentric theory was not condemned until 60 years after his death.

[/quote]

Hi Rich, maybe you should let him know that Copernicus was a Polish Priest. :D

As I understand it took about two weeks for some "Christians" to place a cross at the Circle of Stones Wiccans and Pagans had dedicated as their sacred space. As I understand and what I have read the "Christians" aren't too upset about it...only the Neo-Pagans are....but I'm sure the "Christians" would have screamed the loudest and cried "persecution" if a large pentagram had been painted on the floor of their chapel....I wonder if anyone would have complained if a swastica had been painted on the Jewish chapel?

Here’s the article.

Absolutely reprehensible.

Lord have mercy,
Christ have mercy,
Lord have mercy!

I’d have to just took it and made it a pagan symbol with a snip here and there. Then thanked the local Christians for there awesome donation!

From my experience in the military, most people are either Catholic or Protestant. You get an occasional Jew thrown in here and there, never met a Muslim in the military though. Mostly Neo Pagans and Wiccans and all that stuff seem to just have the beliefs they do to differ from more mainstream religions and have a good time.

theologians

Actually Galileo’s theory was very much welcomed by Pope Paul V.As long as he taught it only as a theory. In fact A bishop close to the pope. Wrote Galileo. Telling him to continue on With his work, and to teach as many scholars as possible about his theory. The only ones who condemned Galileo’s work were theologians. They were the ones who got Galileo into trouble. Well they both did. Galileo was told to only teach his theory as just that. A theory. Which he did for a number of years. But after a while he started to teach it as fact. Now the theologians got all upset and decided to have him charged. But the only way they could have him charged was to produce misleading papers saying that he didn;t have any permission to teach his theory from the pope at all. ( i believe this is after Pope Paul v passing. But i could be wrong)
Which cements my opinions about philosophers. And that is the only thing wrong with philosophy is philosophers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.