Neocatechumenate Communities? What are they?

I was reading an article about this. I’ve never heard of it before. What’s it all about? It sounds as if the Vatican is trying to rein in some of their practices a bit, such as the way they celebrate Mass. It sounds as if they keep to themselves a lot.

Anyone know about this?

for those who haven’t seen the article in question, here’s a link to a discussion of it over at Jimmy Akin’s Blog:

jimmyakin.org/2006/01/neocatechumenal.html

For anyone interested in this matter of the letter form Cardinal Arinze, please may I recommend that you read this blog entry.

carpendi.blogspot.com/2006/01/catholic-herald.html

[quote=shayward]For anyone interested in this matter of the letter form Cardinal Arinze, please may I recommend that you read this blog entry.

carpendi.blogspot.com/2006/01/catholic-herald.html
[/quote]

And in answer to that Neo-Cat blog see thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=91153

Hi Walking Home,

Not really fair to call it a Neo-Cat Blog.

It’s a new blog of someone who happens to be in a Neo Catechumenal Community, but he has all sorts of other interests too which I’m sure he’ll blog about in future…

This article in The Catholic Herald just happens to be what caught his attention this week!

Greetings,
The follwing is something I found on a, I presume, Catholic website describing the Neocatechumenate. I met one of the Italian Neocatechumenate’s leaders at World Youth Day. It seems to be a very good way to increase your prayer life in daily life. This is what the site has to say on the neocatechumenate:

The early Church grew in a predominantly pagan world. When a pagan wanted to become a Christian he had to begin a course of formation, called the catechumenate, in which he was prepared for baptism. In our increasingly secularised world many people have abandoned Christian faith and the Church, or live their faith at a very superficial level. For many of us Baptism has remained dormant in our daily life.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says: “By its very nature infant Baptism requires a post-baptismal catechumenate” (No. 1231). The Neocatechumenate is a way of conversion to discover the immense richness of our faith in a post-baptismal catechumenate, so that the Baptism which the Church gave us can grow within us and become a “sign” for the far-away that God is Love and has the power to save.

The Holy Father in his letter “Ogniqualvolta…”(30 August 1990) wrote: “I acknowledge the Neocatechumenal Way as an itinerary of Catholic formation valid for our society and for our times”.

The Neocatechumenate is lived in small communities within the parish structure. In our Parish there are 3 of these communities, each formed of 20-30 members. They include both young and adults, couples and single people, from different cultures and backgrounds.

Each community meets every week on a weekday evening for a liturgy of the Word at which a number of readings from Holy Scripture are proclaimed. Each member of the community may then share with others the light those readings have shed on his own life. The communities also meet every Saturday evening to celebrate Mass and once a month for a day of prayer and sharing.

Everyone who wishes is welcome to join. For this purpose, every year a series of talks is given by a team of catechists, in which the Neocatechumenate is presented and offered as an occasion for people to receive the announcement of Christ who has died and risen for us to give us a new life. Those who desire to continue on this way of formation begin to meet regularly as a new community. It is also possible to attend a liturgy of the existing communities as a guest.

Source:rc.net/southwark/peckham/neocat.html

Hello everyone,

:confused: I’d liike to know if anybody who had or still is part of the Neocatechumenate could inform me on the scrutinies. I’m a neocatechumene but I’m pretty new and search to know more about it as I’ve heard and read of victims’ testimonies hurt by some of the scrutinies being done by the Way.
Thanx for your help.

pieuse
Genuine searcher of the truth

we just had a lengthy discussion on the scrutinies, which are part of RCIA, have nothing to do with the Neocatechumal Way, which is a recognized lay spritual community within the Church. search on RCIA and scrutinies.

[quote=pieuse]Hello everyone,

:confused: I’d liike to know if anybody who had or still is part of the Neocatechumenate could inform me on the scrutinies. I’m a neocatechumene but I’m pretty new and search to know more about it as I’ve heard and read of victims’ testimonies hurt by some of the scrutinies being done by the Way.
Thanx for your help.

pieuse
Genuine searcher of the truth
[/quote]

Please pieuse,

For your own sake, leave the Neocatechumenate. In the Neocatechuenate, you will be broken down spiritually, and then built up with their ideology. The Neocatechumenate scrutinies are not the same as the Church’s RCIA scrutinies.

If you want to learn more about the Catholic faith, get the Catechism of the Catholic Church, come here to these forums and ask questions. There are many people here that can answer your questions.

Please do not stay in the Way.

:smiley: Don’t worry too much about me, because I realised there was something wrong already with their catechesis and I went to find the catechist who is also an Italian Priest to have some answers. But I’m only asking to find the truth about it.
Did you have a bad experience with them or do you know anyone who might have had one?

I studied a lot of apologetics on the Catholic Doctrine, and find weird reactions about my research of the truth among the community. Especially among the older members (sorry I don’t know how to call them).

Besides I don’t understand why the responsible that I will call Anonymous asked me not to use the breviary. Now, I’m only following my Spiritual Director’s (I’ll call him SD) instructions. I know my SD for at least 1 year and a half and wants to follow what he says because 1st) I know him and trust him,
2nd) I know him through his holy example,
3rd) I had received many good fruits and even true peace and happiness through his direction
4th) I want to imitate St.Faustina’s example.

So, now Anonymous told me twice to discard my SD’s advice and disregard the breviary because I’m supposed to wait until this will be introduced by the Way as with everybody else in the community and because not everybody can feed on solids when one is still a baby and needs milk. Which is from St.Paul’s btw. But I know better than to disobey what my SD told me. :wink:

You see another reason why I want to pray with the breviary (the short version) is because I was complaining and having problems finding prayers to suit me during the day (morning, afternoon, and evening prayers) that all the Church would have in common. That’s why he advised me to do it.

[quote=puzzleannie]we just had a lengthy discussion on the scrutinies, which are part of RCIA, have nothing to do with the Neocatechumal Way, which is a recognized lay spritual community within the Church. search on RCIA and scrutinies.
[/quote]

I’m sorry , but I don’t know where is it? I’d like to know more about it.
Btw, if these methods are unhealthy spychollogically why does Pope Benedict XVI doesn’t say anything about it? :confused:

pieuse,

This is the way they operate. The Neocatechumenals will want you to break the bond to the Church.

Becoming informed in Church doctrine is a threat to them. It will mean, you will question what they tell you and their manipulation will not be easy. At some point they may tell you to break with your spiritual advisor if he is not part of the Way.

If you resist their instructions, they will say that you are not ready to give up your attachment to the world or that it is satan keeping you from the Way, or things similar to these.

Within their rituals, the Way starts implenting the seed that it is the community is the focus. I do not know if you have experience this yet, but usually it starts by way of them asking you to open up. To share with them what has been troubling you, etc. They will become more insistant that you shed your baggage, to drop your mask. In other words they will become your confessors. By manipulating the person to the extent that they eventually start to confess their innermost secrets, they strip you of your dignity and within this your spirituality. They now know what is inside you and will use this in controlling you.

The Church in Her wisdom, has understood, that we as people with a fallen nature have used and can use what we know of others to manipulate and control them. What we confess is only between God, the priest, and ourselves.

The Neocatechumenal community has no such vow of silence.

The Neocatechumenal scrutinies are a continuation of this process. The person comes before the catechists and/or responsibles. There may or may not be a priest present. Even when there is a priest, it is the catechists that control the scrutiny and decide whether the person passes to the next step. The questions they ask are geared to continue to break you down. If your answers are not to their satisfaction, they will pound on you that you are not truthful, that you are holding back, guilt will be imposed upon you. If you have fit in well within the community (absorbed what they have told you), this process may be a bit easier. This is why some people go thru the same scrutiny various times.

The Way is about manipulation and control. They will start emphazising that outside the Way there is only corruption. They have the key to “the real Truth”, and only in the Way people are saved. That is why Kiko says that Christ is passing by.

To the Neocatechumenals there is no Church. There is only a community of believers that encompases all denominations. The priesthood of believers. It is from the community that the Eucharist springs forth, it is the community that becomes the confessor. We are slowly being manipulated into this ideology of community by way of encouragement to use priestly gestures and reconciliation services.

They do not accept the Catholic Church as the Ark of salvation. By their teachings the Church as an institution, is a product of man. They deny the guidance of the Holy Spirit in the Church’s organic growth. Our Mass, traditions, devotions are a product of mans imagination and should be done away with. Our Most Holy Sacrifice —a pagan introduction.

They have even used our late Pope’s own words against us. When the Eastern rites were told to de-latinize so that they can recover their own traditions, the Neocatechumenals turned this around to mean --the Pope agrees with us, he told them to get rid of the latinized traditions --this proves we are right.

We have been and are being slowly manipulated. In may places we are witness to the erosion of our Mass, our traditions, to the emphasis on the community above Our Lord Christ on the Alter…

[quote=pieuse]I’m sorry , but I don’t know where is it? I’d like to know more about it.
Btw, if these methods are unhealthy spychollogically why does Pope Benedict XVI doesn’t say anything about it? :confused:
[/quote]

The reason is that the Neocatechumenals have shown our Popes only what the Neocatechumenals want them to see.

[quote=Walking_Home]--------------------------------------------

The reason is that the Neocatechumenals have shown our Popes only what the Neocatechumenals want them to see.
[/quote]

I agree with that because they say 1 thing to him and people and then say a different thing to us. I lost my peace of mind since I’ve joined and especially realised that. They kind of twist words, say they don’t really like the Adoration and they say it but cleverly.
So people don’t realise that. But the way they started in our group was by telling us something like that: after the recognisation of Christian as a state religion, there were adding like the sacrifice. 1 of our catechist who is also a priest said that and was saying that we weren’t supposed to be adoring but receiving… I was a bit shocked becasue by what he said it was like annihilating what the Church said about the apparition of the L.ord to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (the Sacred Heart). When I spotted that error to our responsible, he denied it bluntly. But I can prove it as I have recorded the convivence on audio tapes.
:eek:
I’m anyway interested by people who have experienced the scrutinies.
Thanx a lot for your help.
Pieuse

[quote=Walking_Home]pieuse,

We have been and are being slowly manipulated. In may places we are witness to the erosion of our Mass, our traditions, to the emphasis on the community above Our Lord Christ on the Alter…
[/quote]

Have you been in the way before?
Pieuse

[quote=pieuse]I agree with that because they say 1 thing to him and people and then say a different thing to us. I lost my peace of mind since I’ve joined and especially realised that. They kind of twist words, say they don’t really like the Adoration and they say it but cleverly.
So people don’t realise that. But the way they started in our group was by telling us something like that: after the recognisation of Christian as a state religion, there were adding like the sacrifice. 1 of our catechist who is also a priest said that and was saying that we weren’t supposed to be adoring but receiving… I was a bit shocked becasue by what he said it was like annihilating what the Church said about the apparition of the L.ord to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque (the Sacred Heart). When I spotted that error to our responsible, he denied it bluntly. But I can prove it as I have recorded the convivence on audio tapes.
:eek:
I’m anyway interested by people who have experienced the scrutinies.
Thanx a lot for your help.
Pieuse
[/quote]

This loss of peace of mind is the struggle between your bond to our Lord Jesus Christ and His Church and the stripping of your Catholic spirituality. Our Lord is telling you something is wrong.

As you concur, the Neocatechumenals deny the core of our belief, Our Most Holy Sacrifice, in which we participate in each and every Mass.

[quote=Walking_Home]--------------------------------------------------------

This loss of peace of mind is the struggle between your bond to our Lord Jesus Christ and His Church and the stripping of your Catholic spirituality. Our Lord is telling you something is wrong.

As you concur, the Neocatechumenals deny the core of our belief, Our Most Holy Sacrifice, in which we participate in each and every Mass.
[/quote]

True!
But allow me to reask my question once more, why Pope Benedict XVI doesn’t listen to us then?

[quote=pieuse]True!
But allow me to reask my question once more, why Pope Benedict XVI doesn’t listen to us then?
[/quote]

In our history, every falsehood that has entered the Church, has taken time to suppress. When the Arian heresy enveloped the Church, it took over fifty years for the bishops who held on to and gaurded the truths entrusted to them by the apostles, to overthrow the falsehood introduced by one priest.

Have faith. Our Lord IS listening, and thru Our Lord so will our Pope.

[quote=Walking_Home]-----------------------------------------------

In our history, every falsehood that has entered the Church, has taken time to suppress. When the Arian heresy enveloped the Church, it took over fifty years for the bishops who held on to and gaurded the truths entrusted to them by the apostles, to overthrow the falsehood introduced by one priest.

Have faith. Our Lord IS listening, and thru Our Lord so will our Pope.
[/quote]

:eek: 50 years!!! O my… I can’t believe it. I’m not gonna wait that long to help my friends to get away from that wrong “Way”!!!
Anyway, I’ve dropped out already. Just want to speak straight to the catechist. And maybe I’ll see if my tapes can help the processus of discernment about them. :stuck_out_tongue:
See you.
G.od bless
Pieuse

[quote=pieuse]:eek: 50 years!!! O my… I can’t believe it. I’m not gonna wait that long to help my friends to get away from that wrong “Way”!!!Anyway, I’ve dropped out already. Just want to speak straight to the catechist. And maybe I’ll see if my tapes can help the processus of discernment about them. :stuck_out_tongue:
See you.
G.od bless
Pieuse
[/quote]

This is the Holy Spirit working with you. Do the best you can to help your friends see the falsehood of this movement. Defend our Lord, and defend His Church, speak up. The Holy Spirit works thru us. We must let people know, so that they will not be led away.
May Our Lord and Lady help you in your task.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.