Neonates in ICU units undergo 10 painful procedures daily without analgesia

medscape.com/viewarticle/577413?src=mp&spon=24&uac=16197PX

July 11, 2008 — Over a 2-week period, neonates in intensive care underwent a median of 10 painful procedures per day, 79.2% without analgesia, in a study from Paris.
“The number of painful procedures is so high that the first step to improve procedural pain management must significantly reduce these numbers,” the authors, led by Ricardo Carbajal, MD, from the Hôpital d’enfants Armand Trousseau, in Paris, France, write.
“The knowledge that some vulnerable neonates underwent 153 tracheal aspirations or 95 heel sticks in a 2-week period should elicit a thoughtful and relevant analysis on the necessity and the risk/benefit ratio for our clinical practices,” they observe.
The study is published in the July 2 issue of the *Journal of the American Medical Association.
*http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/577413?src=mp&spon=24&uac=16197PX

Wow!!! Sure glad we anethetize our boys for circumcision…aren’t you?:rolleyes:

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist…I think that any procedure that causes pain to those so young they can’t protest should be taken into consideration…procedures which cause pain happen…it might not be right, but it happens…and like circumcision with the consent of the parents…I find the practice barbaric myself.

My newborn daughter was in the ICU for two weeks, and it saved her life many times over. I’m sorry she had to undergo these procedures, but I’d do it again in a heartbeat. And she was sedated or unconscious for nearly everything. Sometimes I think people would rather have painless malpractice than painful medicine.

Neonatal ICU’s are vital, as your daughter proved. But by the hospital’s standards and your doctor’s practices, they sedated your daughter so that she would be able to tolerate their lifesaving work. I am glad to hear that she responded so well, and is healthy now. God bless!

Actually she was sedated because she was on heavy doses of two anti-seizure medications. I’m quite certain she would have been awake for most the procedures otherwise. But I still wouldn’t have foregone what she needed. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.