neophiliac

[email=“elzbill@adelphia.net”]

[/email]

Recently a close relative (Catholic) married a girl of no religious persuasion. The Catholic was advised by a priest that they could be married in a non-catholic church if they went to a priest and took the pre Cana instructions six months before their wedding. They were further advised that no priest need be present at the ceremony to make it valid. I’m confused! I’m no theologian but for most of my life (68 years), the requirements for a valid Catholic marriage were much more stringent; have they changed? or have my friends been given some faulty information? Diocese of Pittsburgh is their diocese.

The Church still discourages “mixed marriages” – but there is a dispensation from canonical form that can be issued by the bishop (or his designee) that allows a Catholic to be validly married without following canonical form (that is, married in a church before a bishop, priest or deacon).

Deacon Ed

[quote=Deacon Ed]The Church still discourages “mixed marriages” – but there is a dispensation from canonical form that can be issued by the bishop (or his designee) that allows a Catholic to be validly married without following canonical form (that is, married in a church before a bishop, priest or deacon).

Deacon Ed
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.