NEPAL - In Nepal, young women still die in childbirth out of respect for rural traditions [AN]

In the districts of western Nepal, giving birth is still the main cause of death. With deep-rooted Buddhist and Hindu traditions barring women from going to the hospital, children are still born in dark barns. A young woman talks to AsiaNews about her dramatic experience.

More…

Regrettably sad, and true. :frowning:

Children also die of simple food poisoning in India because people ascribe it to “black magic” and visit quacks and faith healers.

Sometimes, ignorance is not invincible - it is willful and damnable. :mad:

That’s very sad.

I cringed when I read some of the birthing practices. It’s one thing to want to birth at home, if it can be clean and if you have access to someone who is competent in assisting delivery, but this was nothing like that. How terrifying for the mother and for everyone in the community. No wonder the outcomes are what they are.

You can say that again.

I cringed when I read some of the birthing practices. It’s one thing to want to birth at home, if it can be clean and if you have access to someone who is competent in assisting delivery, but this was nothing like that. How terrifying for the mother and for everyone in the community. No wonder the outcomes are what they are.

This is why I admire Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister. Though he was an agnostic, he wanted Indians to preserve their culture - but discard all that was superstitious or harmful. Unfortunately, not everyone took kindly to his message - with the result that we have some of the world’s best scientists and doctors, but also horrors like this one. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.