Nephew suicidal/surgery

Please pray for my nephew who is 18 years old. He is very depressed for he thinks he is "retarded" because his father called him that many years ago when he visited him and met him for the first time. His parents divorced when he was 6 months old and his dad moved to Puerto Rico. My nephew, Miguel, is a slow learner and is in 9th grade yet is taking courses below that grade level. He is frustrated and wants to be like normal kids and be done with homeschooling. HIs mother is at fault for why he is so behind. I tried taking over his homeschooling this year, but he wants one on one and I have my daughter and niece to do as well. He does need one on one. He is very depressed and not eating. He has lost interest in hanging out with his friend. He doesn't have a good relationship with God, so he doesn't turn to Him. He needs to be tested for other learning disabilities problems. I know he has somethings else wrong from the short time I had him. Anyway, he is not eating and wants to die. Please pray for him. Oh, and yes, he is seeing a psychologist.

Also he is going to have some nose surgery because he can't breathe out of his nose. He is a mouth breather. He doesn't have the sense of smell, but he will never have that for he was born that way. The doctors will try to fix the other problem and see if he can breath out of his nose. They told my sister, his mother, that he could bleed to death. I am sure they have to tell this to everyone as a possibility, but we had friends who lost their grandchild this way, so we know it can happen. His surgery is scheduled on Christmas Eve during the daytime. Please pray it goes well.

Thanks and God Bless.

Praying!!

That is quite a stressful day to have a surgery! How odd.:(

I will dedicate a rosary to your nephew tonight. I hope that everything goes well.

:)Dear Nana3, I haven"t much knoweldge, but it sounds alot like my son when he was in school, only he had trouble getting along with some kids too. We never could find outr much, but he was a good worker and got married. He had a panic attack at the wedding and after that he never could get a nites sleep. The sleep problem got so bad that he couldn"t work very long each day. The dr. started treating him for anxiety and high blood pressure. After a few years they found he had obstructive sleep disorder and have done surgery on his nose twice. The sleep machines haven"t helped him sleep, so we have bought another one that"s for central sleep disorder, which he hasn"t gotten to try yet. We are hoping he can be sent to Mayo clinic to see if they can help. But hold on, they just need more info on your son. We will remember him in prayer. Shanon has 2 nice little girls and his wife works. He takes care of the kids and the house. It isn"t the way he"d like it but it is working, and we hope to find help . Tell your son that itb well get better and he should trust in Jesus" promises. Love bernadette meyer

Jesus please heal the cruel injury of the words of this boy’s father. What a legacy to leave a child! Jesus please give this young man genuine experience of the generous support and love of his family and others. Help them to go the extra yard for him, and give him experience of Your love for him and of his innate preciousness.
Thank You, Jesus

i will say a Rosary for all involved

but i will ask… you say “its his mothers fault he is behind” but you also admit he has many emotional and physical problems, and a learning disability… i woudl not be inclined to say it is “his mothers fault” with allTHAT going on…
if there is more to this, i know i wouldnt know… but it sounds odd

Yes, there is more to it. My sister, who I love dearly, has some mental health issues herself and should have never took on the responsibility of homeschooling her kids. I was a nurse at the time and I notice many things about her that were not just right. I would mention it to my other sisters and they all were in denial, but they all agree now that my sister is not right in the mind. My sister told my nephew and this did not help matters that his father never wanted another baby and he was unwanted by him but she wanted him. She of course would deny this to me, but I told her that I way I know this to be true is because my other little niece recorded her and my nephew when my nephew was so angry at his father. He mentioned how his dad called him a retard and his mother was agreeing to it and then he mentioned how she told him his dad didn’t even want him. I confronted her with this last night and she could not deny it. I told her that if she thinks she was hurting her ex she was not she was hurting her son. What a thing to tell him! It is true, but he didn’t need to know that. I reminded her how she was told by the doctors that she was going to have another girl and how excited she was, but when the baby was born, she was told he was a boy. She was depressed and sad. She wanted a girl and thankful for a healthy boy. I asked her if she was going to tell him that information and she said no. I said of course not that there are certain things we don’t tell our kids. She was disppointed but she loved her son. The same with her ex, he didn’t want another child, but he loved his son and he got remarried and had two more sons. This is what I mean that she has some mental health issues. I personally think she has borderline personality disorder but has never been diagnosed with it. Her oldest daughter is dying to get out of the house. She is 23 and can’t go out with friends. Her mom won’t let her and to keep peace, she listens. She says that my nephew and my sister argue all the time. That they both have excessive anger issues. That is why they are both in therapy. Therapiest have told my sister to allow her daughter freedom, but she doesn’t listen. She has been this way for a long time. When I lived with her and my parents, when her husband first left her, I remember hearing hitting noises and I went to her room. She was hitting her daughter, my niece with a belt at the age of 5 for not praying the Rosary. I told her that she is only 5 and to start her out slowly and hitting her is not the answer or the way to teach her to pray. What does she do? The next day, she is hitting my niece again. I had to go into the room and stop her. I really think she has mental health issues and who knows what went on when they moved in by themselves. So it is no wonder my nephew is behind. One time I saw my sister teaching him math and she was yelling at him. He really didn’t get it. Yelling and screaming at him is not the way to teach him. So if he had years of this, which we did not know about, it is no wonder he is so behind. My sister is also on a lot of pain medication so she slept a lot. We always found her asleep when we went to her house and wondered when she homeschooled, but they said they did. I didn’t know how behind he was until I took over. Even Seton was surprised that material they sent her was untouched yet. We had to start from scratch.

That is why I say my sister is to blame. I don’t think she meant evil or harm, but due to her illness she did harm her son. Her daughter was able to take the GED and is in college, but has issues with anger as well.

Thanks for praying the Rosary, for they need it. I pray for them all every night. My nephew really has a kind soul and has been hurting for a long time.

My nephew has trouble sleeping as well. He says he can’t sleep. Was your son like that too. Is Obstructive sleep disorder the name of the disorder your son had?

I will let my nephew know of your son and where he is at in his life today to give him hope. He really is not stupid, but just slow.

It was the only day the doctor has open before the end of the year. My sister had to get it in before the new year. My nephew doesn’t seem to mind though for he says he hates Christmas, but I think that is the depression talking. He has always enjoyed it in the past.

Thank you Kera and Trishie too for your prayers!;)

ah. so the entire family has some serious problems…

oh yes, it is a very difficult thing. i would say first and foremost that the obligation we all have, is to protect those who cannot help themselves… if your sister is endangering herself, and others (and it sounds like she is) then you may need to call some local mental health authorities.

and homeschooling is not for everyone. but definitely not for someone who is already unable to properly care for herself and others. there is usually some authoriy that the homeschool folks have to report to to make sure the kids are actually educated… and in her sons case a special needs advocate.

this may require some serious intervention.

i will, as i said. pray for everyone involved.

in the meantime… PLEASE make it as clear as you can to those poor kids that Catholic doesnt mean beating people about the Rosary, or anything. what a terrible thing to do to any poor child’s faith…

and i beg you… you say the other relatives admit now she has problems? please . its not acting against her to get her help

LORD Jesus
Heal ur Son

Praying for your nephew and his father …

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Praying hard for him.

[quote="fabricdragon, post:11, topic:179265"]
ah. so the entire family has some serious problems.......

oh yes, it is a very difficult thing. i would say first and foremost that the obligation we all have, is to protect those who cannot help themselves..... if your sister is endangering herself, and others (and it sounds like she is) then you may need to call some local mental health authorities.

and homeschooling is not for everyone. but definitely not for someone who is already unable to properly care for herself and others. there is usually some authoriy that the homeschool folks have to report to to make sure the kids are actually educated..... and in her sons case a special needs advocate.

this may require some serious intervention.

i will, as i said. pray for everyone involved.

in the meantime...... PLEASE make it as clear as you can to those poor kids that Catholic doesnt mean beating people about the Rosary, or anything. what a terrible thing to do to any poor child's faith.....

and i beg you... you say the other relatives admit now she has problems? please . its not acting against her to get her help

[/quote]

Believe it or not she was getting help at that time when my niece was 5 years old, but she is now 23 years old. She will soon be moving out, next year when she is done with her first two years of college. Now my nephew who is 18 is another matter. The state doesn't care about him anymore because he is now really suppose to be already have graduated HS. So he is now considered a HS dropout. This is what special services have told me so when I told over his homeschooling, I didn't need to report to any umbrella school or to the county. Now the county could still audit my sister for the past, but she has some of the work done. I told her to hold on to it for two years. She is just disorganized. She teaches them by going on in the book and not going by the planner that the special services give her. She holds on to the first quarter work until fourth quarter and so if he needs to repeat a test done in first quarter, he has forgotten it. I told her not to hold on to things and to send in first quarter. With special services she can't use the internet like I can to sent in work and write down grades. You have to send in everything by mail.

Anyway, the new psychologist really thinks he should go to this special school that takes kids until the age of 23 years old. My parents my him to go to increase his self esteem in anything else. My nephew is stubborn and depressed. The school won't take him if he is unwilling because they consider him an adult. He has to want to go in. I am going to talk to him and see what I can do. He listens to me a little.

Please pray that he goes to this school for his sake.

Praying that your nephew chooses to go to the school …

Hail Mary
full of grace
the Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

:)

[quote="nana3, post:8, topic:179265"]
My nephew has trouble sleeping as well. He says he can't sleep. Was your son like that too. Is Obstructive sleep disorder the name of the disorder your son had?

I will let my nephew know of your son and where he is at in his life today to give him hope. He really is not stupid, but just slow.

[/quote]

bernadettemeyer here I"m glad you have arranged to have the sugery. After that, he should be watched when he sleeps, and if still having trouble he might need to go to a sleep clinic.for further observation. My son has central sleep disorder which is complicated, but has gotten worse through time of not being treated. Tell him not to loose the opportunity if some one can help him go to school. There is where he will find out what his talents are that will be his way of making a living for himself . They will be better to him then he thinks, and life will be brighter when he learns about the skills he has, hidden because he hasn"t had the chance to try things. I have 10 kids and 3 of them were labeled LD, but it only means that they do need one on one help and a teacher who can bring out the talents, they have. Right now, since there is so much unimployment, school is a best place to be, and he probably won"t get another chance if he doesn"t take it. We"re all praying. Love

Praying hard.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us now, and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, as is and ever shall be, world without end.

Thank you. We will keep a look out for this after the surgery. Thanks for the words of encouragement too.:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.