Nephilim

Who are the Nephilim of the Book of Genesis?

Giants…possibly the stuff of the ancient mythological heroes, who were the offspring of fallen angels and human women. God put a stop to that.

*Gen 6:1-4 When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, the **sons of God **saw that the **daughters of men *were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose. Then the LORD said, “My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.
The “sons of God” is often understood to refer to the male descendants in the line of Seth.
The “daughters of men” would refer to the female descendants in the line of Cain.
(Note that the geneologies of Cain (Gen 4:17-24) and Seth (Gen 5:1-32) immediately precede the above Chapter 6 verses. Scripture does not record the descendants of Adam and Eve’s other children (Gen 5:4b)

In Scripture, “sons of God” is sometimes used to denote those who believe in God and follow His ways. “Sons of men” refers to the sinful people who do not reject God and His ways.

Nita

newadvent.org/utility/search.htm?safe=active&cx=000299817191393086628%3Aifmbhlr-8x0&q=nephilim&sa=Search&cof=FORID%3A9#227

:shamrock2:

Also in Gen 6:4

English
There were giants in the earth

Greek LXX
οἱ δὲ γίγαντες ἦσαν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς
γίγαντες is pronounced ‘gigantes’ transliterated to ‘giants’ in English

Hebrew
הנפלים היו בארץ
הנפלים is also transliterated to (letters begin right to left) MILPhNH
in reverse this is NePheLIM or Nephelim

I don’t know why the Greek translators of the OT translated nephelim to gigantes :shrug: . Same Hebrew/Greek/English word is found in Numbers 13:33. Also sometimes נפל NePheL is translated ‘fallen’, so plural would be ‘fallen ones’.

I agree with Marocchino as to the “sons of God”/“daughters of men” explanation.

Check out Numbers 13:33 for insight into the Nephilim: “There also we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.” Sounds like they were some really huge dudes–Lou Farigno types.

That was Nita’s post.

Whoops!!

There’s a bazillion threads on this in these forums. I recommend you do a search. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.