Nephilim

Pax!
Some people told me that the autistic people may be related tothe Nephilim. I know it sounds strange so what is the Catholic teaching about this?

There are several threads that already exist on the subject of “nephilim” which could be found through the “search” function ; several examples :

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=672825&highlight=Nephilim

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=530900&highlight=Nephilim

. . . Don’t know whether this excerpt from an article on Angels, from Catholic Encyclopedia (which is also accessible at CAF) might help, but here it is :

(link = oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Angel )

. . . The account of the fall of our First Parents (Gen., iii) is couched in such terms that it is impossible to see in it anything more than the acknowledgment of the existence of a principle of evil who was jealous of the human race. The statement (Gen., vi, 1) that the “sons of God” married the daughters of men is explained of the fall of the angels, in Enoch, vi-xi, and codices D, E, F, and A of the Septuagint read frequently, for “sons of God”, of oi aggeloi tou theou. Unfortunately, codices B and C are defective in Gen., vi, but it is probable that they, too, read of aggeloi in this passage, for they constantly so render the expression “sons of God”; cf. Job, i, 6; ii, 1; xxxviii, 7; but on the other hand, see Ps., ii, 1; lxxxviii, 7 (Septuagint). Philo, in commenting on the passage in his treatise “Quod Deus sit immutabilis”, i, follows the Septuagint. For Philo’s doctrine of Angels, cf. “De Vita Mosis”, iii, 2; “De Somniis”, VI; “De Incorrupta Manna”, i; “De Sacrificiis”, ii; “De Lege Allegorica”, I, 12; III, 73; and for the view of Gen., vi, 1, cf. St. Justin, Apol., ii, 5. It should moreover be noted that the Hebrew word nephilim rendered gigantes, in vi, 4, may mean “fallen ones”. The Fathers generally refer it to the sons of Seth, the chosen stock. In I K., xix, 9, an evil spirit is said to possess Saul, though this is probably a metaphorical expression; more explicit is III K., xxii, 19-23, where a spirit is depicted as appearing in the midst of the heavenly army and offering, at the Lord’s invitation, to be a lying spirit in the mouth of Achab’s false prophets. We might, with the Scholastics, explain this as malum poenoe, which is actually caused by God owing to man’s fault. A truer exegesis would, however, dwell on the purely imaginative tone of the whole episode; it is not so much the mould in which the message is cast as the actual tenor of that message which is meant to occupy our attention.

That’s preposterous.

Both environmental and genetic influences have been identified as contributing to the disorder; scientists have identified multiple genes associated with the disorder.

ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm

Somebody’s feeding you a line of bull. The direct answer to your question is that there is no Catholic teaching on the genetic origin of people with autism.

i have two autistic son’s both have a very severe from of it… and they do receive Holy Communion from time to time, THEY ARE NOT NEPHILIM!! nor have they ever been or ever will be
That is just too funny… for words that people even think that… my sons souls i believe are pure and can give NO offence to God. HE can have a nice place to rest his head in their souls…
there is no such thing as the nephilim!!!

On the subject of autism, I have a question for my grandson who will be 8 yrs old this December. He was in a Sunday class when he was 5 and my daughter was told he made too much of a disruption by needing to sit away from the other children when he did his worksheets. He wasn’t even talking out of turn just quietly needed to sit aside when he felt overwhelmed. My daughter took him out of the class and there are no other Catholic churches in driving distance to us. My daughter stopped going to church altogether. Now I’m worried my grandson won’t receive his first Communion. I found someone who teaches children who have severe/profound disabilities but he isn’t in that category; he’s just a mild case of autism and I don’t want him to think he needs to be on a severe level.
Since I can’t do any more with the leadership of my parish and pastor, should we teach him with children’s books and ask a priest outside our area to give him First Communion? Would that be going against our parish?

That idea derives from an apocryphal book, the Book of Enoch, the description of the Nephilim starts on Chapter VI.

/thread

:smiley:

BTW, here’s a piece of insignificant trivia – the word “n’philim” is a Hebrew plural; the singular is “niphal.”

Do anything you can. Talk to other priests from other parishes, if necessary. If nothing else works, talk to the Bishop.

You may also want to kindly talk to your daughter. Leaving the Church will only have a negative impact on her and on her family. Keeping your grandson away from Jesus is not going to help that innocent either. Keep in mind and remind her the words of our Beloved:

Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them

you are saying exactly what i would do if i were you… what harm can be done from discussing things with a priest and explaining the situation…
my children’s school took care of a lot of the pre first communion stuff they got general absolution even tho they cant speak or understand anything that is said to them but they still took part. it is as much for the parents as for the grandparents as for the children themselves… Christ rests easy in these souls…

And i am gald that this book is not in the Bible its a load of nonsense… i read it!! If the Lord wanted it in the bible it would be there!! so therefore i dismiss it compeletly

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.