Nephilim

My family is LDS and shockingly enough, the naming convention for some of their characters in the BOM seemingly come from the King James Version. I was looking in the book of Genesis the other day in my RSV-CE (2nd) which is honestly a great translation and saw this name “Nephilim” Seemingly enough, that turns out to be what may now be the name Nephi. Is this a coincidence? :confused: Do you think it was strange that in the LDS bible translation (KJV) the name Nephilim is removed entirely from Genesis and Numbers? The books of Genesis and Numbers are obviously extremely sacred in my view, and it kind of makes me wonder why my soon to be former faith would go that far. Either way to be civil here, I am simply wondering what point they are trying to make. If this should be in another forum let me know.

Nephilim is not a name, but a noun (not a proper noun). It is plural, as indicated by the “im” ending in Hebrew. A common translation is “giants”. This may be a figurative term, and so not liberal giants.

That makes sense, so in other words it means more than one of something.

Translators of the Bible came up against a difficulty with this word. In Genesis 6:3 most translations treat it as a proper name and leave it in Hebrew with a capital N, but when it occurs again in Numbers 13:33 as a description of the sons of Enak, a tribe of exceptionally tall people who lived in the Hebron area, some Bibles translate it as “giants” while others have opted once again to leave it untranslated in Hebrew.

Examples: King James Version, “giants”:
biblehub.com/kjv/numbers/13.htm

NABRE at the USCCB website, “Nephilim”:
usccb.org/bible/numbers/13

Re: Nephilim/Nephi - I read a biography of Joseph Smith - too long ago to remember the title. He was very familiar with the Old Testament so there are quite a few similarities between that & the Book of Mormon.

In the LDS Bible do they translate Nephilim as giants or warriors?

A piece if irrelevant linguistic trivia – the singular is “niphal.”

Its translated as giants. I just looked, I still wonder though, if thats the only bible translation that has it worded as giants, or if all the zillons of Protestants have translations that have the same wording.

This one page has many different versions of that verse:
biblehub.com/genesis/6-4.htm
They all say “giants” or “Nephilim”.

Keep this in mind when wondering why so much about this topic is ‘mysterious’ and controversial…

Satans greatest accomplishment is that he has convinced many people he does not even exist, therefore any actions by him, are also false, nothing but made up stories.

The Nephilim were the first attempt of Satan to ‘corrupt’ the human seed, so Jesus could not be born, which ended up being pointless due to the virgin birth. Thats why so many people claim the Nephilim were not really giants, its an attempt to sort of erase one of Satans actions.

Im not sure on the verse, but there is even a verse mentioning this ‘hiding away’ of details on these beings, also verses about praying the giants remain sleeping/ not awakening the giants once more.

Giant meant savages.

yes, they were savages, but also giants as well, in the literal sense.

There are many many verses, historical accounts, and stories that go into great detail about the size and weight of some of their gear, furniture, clothing, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.