Nephilim

i heard someone talking about nephilim, and said that fallen angels came to earth and had offspring with the women of earth and created the nephilim… supposedly the whole human race was corrupt with the nephilim except noah’s family, and they reason god destroyed the earth was to destroy all the nephilim… could someone tell me about them ?

Why the interest in the Nephilim?

BK

Except for the passing mention in Genesis, I have no clue. I would be interested in learning more, but not fables.

i just want to know if the bible says anything about them or if they existed… :smiley:

Bishop Challoner’s commentary on the Douay-Rhiems Bible where this is referred to in Genesis 6:2 gives a different interpretation:

“Chapter 6. Ver.2 ‘The sons of God’. The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men. The unhappy consequence of the former marrying with the latter, ought to be a warning to Christians to be very circumspect in their marriages; and not to suffer themselves to be determined in their choice by their carnal passion, to the prejudice of virtue or religion…
Ver.4 'Giants’. It is likely the generality of men before the flood were of a gigantic stature in comparison with what men now are. But these here spoken of are called giants, as being not only tall in stature, but violent and savage in their dispositions, and mere monsters of cruelty and lust.”

Nothing supernatural going on here then.

Here is the only reference that I am aware of.

1 When men began to multiply on earth and daughters were born to them,

2 the sons of heaven saw how beautiful the daughters of man were, and so they took for their wives as many of them as they chose.

3 Then the LORD said: “My spirit shall not remain in man forever, since he is but flesh. His days shall comprise one hundred and twenty years.”

4 At that time the **Nephilim **appeared on earth (as well as later), after the sons of heaven had intercourse with the daughters of man, who bore them sons. They were the heroes of old, the men of renown.
Genesis 6:1-4 NAB

Here are footnotes from the USCCB site.

1 [1-4] This is apparently a fragment of an old legend that had borrowed much from ancient mythology. The sacred author incorporates it here, not only in order to account for the prehistoric giants of Palestine, whom the Israelites called the Nephilim, but also to introduce the story of the flood with a moral orientation–the constantly increasing wickedness of mankind.

2 [2] The sons of heaven: literally “the sons of the gods” or “the sons of God,” i.e., the celestial beings of mythology.

3 [3] My spirit: the breath of life referred to in Genesis 2:7. His days . . . years: probably the time God would still let men live on earth before destroying them with the flood, rather than the maximum span of life God would allot to individual men in the future.

4 [4] As well as later: According to Numbers 13:33, when the Israelites invaded Palestine and found there the tall aboriginal Anakim, they likened them to the Nephilim; cf Deut 2:10-11. Perhaps the huge megalithic structures in Palestine were thought to have been built by a race of giants, whose superhuman strength was attributed to semi-divine origin. The heroes of old: the legendary worthies of ancient mythology.

<i heard someone talking about nephilim, and said that fallen angels came to earth and had offspring with the women of earth and created the nephilim… supposedly the whole human race was corrupt with the nephilim except noah’s family, and they reason god destroyed the earth was to destroy all the nephilim… could someone tell me about them ?>

As I understand it, this fable is based on three references in scripture, the pseudographical book of Enoch, and some second century Jewish theories.
Popularises in recent times by publicity-seeking preachers such as Finidus Dake.

Its objective is to deny humanities claim to be children of God; to negate the opening words of the Lord’s Prayer. The claim is that these ‘angels’ are the ‘sons of God’; rather than faithful humans.

This fable alleges that angels are male and the mated with human women producing offspring. These children were giants. They populated the earth. They were evil.
That was why God had to destroy all with the flood.

The scriptures are: Genesis 6:1-4 drbo.org/chapter/01006.htm
Numbers 13:34 drbo.org/chapter/04013.htm “There we saw certain monsters of the sons of Enac”
Sirac 16:8 drbo.org/chapter/26016.htm “The ancient giants did not obtain pardon for their sins, who were destroyed trusting to their own strength:”

However, we know from other scriptures that angels and humans cannot mate.
Throughout the NT, the term ‘sons of God’ refers to humans.
The same is true for the OT, although the proponents of this theory dispute two passages.

Usually the opening claim is based on Genesis 6:4. I draw your attention to the explanatory note in the Douay on that passage drbo.org/chapter/01006.htm

jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=215&letter=G&search=nephilim

google.com/search?hl=en&q=traditions+Nephilim+Jewish+literature+the+Watchers+book+enoch

John

heres another site that is up on the topic

alienresistance.org/

you may notice a warning about spam, I dont know Ive been on it lots and not found any spam from them.

They are a little odd there, but its a odd topic, give it a chance. Its meant to appeal to those interested in the topic, so perhaps they can see the light.

Hi there:

They are mentioned in Genesis 6 as well as in the book of Numbers.

fallensonsofgod.blogspot.com may serve as a primer of sorts, and I would encourage you to visit the previously mentioned link at alienresistance.org,

The work of Michael Heiser PHD, who is, among other things academic editor with Logos Bible Software, as well as a contributor to the Ancient of Days conferences associated with alienresistance.org, has written extensively on the subject. It’s in the language., so ask a language geek :wink:

michaelsheiser.com/nephilim.pdf

Grace & Peace,
Talitha

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.