Nervous about making it to heaven

Is anyone else wondering if they are doing enough good to get into heaven?

We don't get to heaven based on our good deeds. We do good deeds in gratitude for God's mercy in forgiving us and sending Jesus to die for our sins.
See John 3:16.
So if we rely on Jesus' mercy, and try our best to live in a way pleasing to him, we can be confident that He's got our backs. John 10:27-29.

Hay quá... Ti?p t?c nha b?n.. Gnoc ?ng h? b?n

I do all the time. I think it's because there is no way of knowing 100% if you're going. I am a worrier though. But like the second poster said, I just try my best (which I always feel is never enough) to do what's right. Sometimes it feels like what I'm doing is not enough because it seems so small and insignificant to the whole world. I'm married with two kids and one on the way and that's what my life revols around. So sometimes when I start to think I need to be doing more I realize the amazing opportunities I have been given. To raise godly children (no easy task), have a good and loving marriage (honoring sacraments), opportunities to follow te commandments (honoring father and mother, despite hard feelings). It helps me to put my life into perspective of what he asks us to do. I may not be president, or some big leader or have lots of money to give away, but He has entrusted me with so far the care of three amazing children which to me is bigger than anything else I can imagine be ause of the affect they will have on the world one day.

Sorry, kind of a disjointed rambling post. It's 5am and I can't sleep.

[quote="onmyknees, post:1, topic:324664"]
Is anyone else wondering if they are doing enough good to get into heaven?

[/quote]

We all have these kinds of thoughts from time to time. They are not necessarily bad....but one needs to be careful not to slip into despair.

[quote="Viki63, post:2, topic:324664"]
We don't get to heaven based on our good deeds. We do good deeds in gratitude for God's mercy in forgiving us and sending Jesus to die for our sins.
So if we rely on Jesus' mercy, and try our best to live in a way pleasing to him, we can be confident that He's got our backs. John 10:27-29.

[/quote]

Great answer Vicki....:thumbsup:

onmyknees,
The thing that we must remember is that "fear" (which your nervousness stems from) is a natural part of our early spiritual development. The OT says that, "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"....the NT testament shows us that "Love" is the culmination of that wisdom.

Our early fears of failure and punishment should, over time, give way to love - which drives out fear.

The intermediate stage between fear and love - is Hope - lived in love.

Now Hope is a very wide word...so it is important that we understand "hope" in our lives.

Hope in our case is not some impotent "crossing your fingers" kind of thing.
As Vicki points out above, in our case, hope is moving forward in expectation, in joy, and with a desire to grow in God and to Do that for which he has created us...to Love one another.

So focus on that...Focus on the love, on the doing, on the growth. Look up in awe and expectation and with a desire to become ever more fully in Love with our Savior and Lord. You will begin to see how Love drives out fear.

Peace
James

[quote="Viki63, post:2, topic:324664"]

[/quote]

Vicki, Thank you for posting this great answer! I understand that we need to be grateful for God's mercy in forgiving us and sending Jesus to die for our salvation.

But how come it says this in James 14-16 "Faith is dead without works?"

[quote="JRKH, post:5, topic:324664"]
We all have these kinds of thoughts from time to time. They are not necessarily bad....but one needs to be careful not to slip into despair.

Great answer Vicki....:thumbsup:

onmyknees,
The thing that we must remember is that "fear" (which your nervousness stems from) is a natural part of our early spiritual development. The OT says that, "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"....the NT testament shows us that "Love" is the culmination of that wisdom.

Our early fears of failure and punishment should, over time, give way to love - which drives out fear.

The intermediate stage between fear and love - is Hope - lived in love.

Now Hope is a very wide word...so it is important that we understand "hope" in our lives.

Hope in our case is not some impotent "crossing your fingers" kind of thing.
As Vicki points out above, in our case, hope is moving forward in expectation, in joy, and with a desire to grow in God and to Do that for which he has created us...to Love one another.

So focus on that...Focus on the love, on the doing, on the growth. Look up in awe and expectation and with a desire to become ever more fully in Love with our Savior and Lord. You will begin to see how Love drives out fear.

Peace
James

[/quote]

Thanks, JRKH!
I am a worrier so I will try and focus on love, and hope rather than fear. But I have this awful fear due to my attachment/addition to shopping that is wasting my life! I do works of charity but not enough in my opinion!

[quote="beenwashed, post:4, topic:324664"]
I do all the time. I think it's because there is no way of knowing 100% if you're going. I am a worrier though. But like the second poster said, I just try my best (which I always feel is never enough) to do what's right. Sometimes it feels like what I'm doing is not enough because it seems so small and insignificant to the whole world. I'm married with two kids and one on the way and that's what my life revols around. So sometimes when I start to think I need to be doing more I realize the amazing opportunities I have been given. To raise godly children (no easy task), have a good and loving marriage (honoring sacraments), opportunities to follow te commandments (honoring father and mother, despite hard feelings). It helps me to put my life into perspective of what he asks us to do. I may not be president, or some big leader or have lots of money to give away, but He has entrusted me with so far the care of three amazing children which to me is bigger than anything else I can imagine be ause of the affect they will have on the world one day.

Sorry, kind of a disjointed rambling post. It's 5am and I can't sleep.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting this beanwashed ! Your post showed me some positive things that I do too.

[quote="onmyknees, post:7, topic:324664"]
Thanks, JRKH!
I am a worrier so I will try and focus on love, and hope rather than fear. But I have this awful fear due to my attachment/addition to shopping that is wasting my life! I do works of charity but not enough in my opinion!

[/quote]

Glad that my post is of help to you.

One thing that it important to remember is that God "grades" on "effort", not simply on results. So each time we resist a sin, we receive grace and strength to resist further. If we stumble and commit the sin previously resisted we have not lost the grace previously given...though we do weaken ourselves.

I do hope that you are getting help for your addiction.

Peace
James

I worry about pleasing God to my fullest. By being a devout follower of Our Lord and thanking him for dying for our sins.

If I had to give up my place in heaven for a wretched soul I would.

[quote="JRKH, post:9, topic:324664"]
Glad that my post is of help to you.

One thing that it important to remember is that God "grades" on "effort", not simply on results. So each time we resist a sin, we receive grace and strength to resist further. If we stumble and commit the sin previously resisted we have not lost the grace previously given...though we do weaken ourselves.

I do hope that you are getting help for your addiction.

Peace
James

[/quote]

Oh, Thank you so much JR! The fact that God grades on effort and He gives us grace to resist further is very reassuring!

I have been to a counselor for about 9 months and I was able to stop shopping for about 6 months but went right back to it after I was finished with the counseling. I am able to resist at times but not very often. Sadly I love colors and beautiful clothes. I keep thinking that I can stop on my own but to no avail. I need God's help! Please pray for me.

[quote="onmyknees, post:11, topic:324664"]
Oh, Thank you so much JR! The fact that God grades on effort and He gives us grace to resist further is very reassuring!

I have been to a counselor for about 9 months and I was able to stop shopping for about 6 months but went right back to it after I was finished with the counseling. I am able to resist at times but not very often. Sadly I love colors and beautiful clothes. I keep thinking that I can stop on my own but to no avail. I need God's help! Please pray for me.

[/quote]

As I prayed for you, the thought came to me that perhaps you should consider how, with each unnecessary purchase you rob yourself and others of that money
Perhaps carry a picture of a hungry child in your wallet to remind you of better uses for any extra money....
I apologize if the above sounds harsh. But since it came to me in prayer, I felt I should share it.

May God grant you the strength you need.

Peace
James

Not too harsh at all and what a good idea to keep a picture of hungry children. Thank you for praying for me. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have someone pray for me. Tears fell from my eyes. I will be praying for you too JR.

I'm also tend to worry from time to time if I'm ever doing enough to gain approval from our Loving God. For example, I attend the annual March For Life rally to stand up for God's unborn children. But is it enough? Is there more I should be doing besides attending and praying for them?

I know how weak and fragile our human mind is especially when we sin. Jesus said though, "I have overcome sin and death. Do not be afraid." With that, I'll continue to use the gifts and talents given by the Holy Spirit and rely on the Mercy of Jesus to keep me going.

[quote="onmyknees, post:13, topic:324664"]
Not too harsh at all and what a good idea to keep a picture of hungry children. Thank you for praying for me. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have someone pray for me. Tears fell from my eyes. I will be praying for you too JR.

[/quote]

Think upon the parable of the Prodigal Son, and understand God as being that Father just waiting and watching and wishing for you to allow Him to 'kill the fatted calf' FOR YOU!

Nothing gives God more 'happiness' than to be asked for forgiveness and to see we sinners trying to do better. He knows we are born into weakness, and He is more than prepared to go an extra mile for us and with us if we genuinely ask Him.

[quote="ajecphotos, post:10, topic:324664"]
I worry about pleasing God to my fullest. By being a devout follower of Our Lord and thanking him for dying for our sins.

If I had to give up my place in heaven for a wretched soul I would.

[/quote]

But you also know that God would never consign such a generous soul to oblivion - in fact He would/will reward that soul even more for such an offering of love of their 'neighbour'.

'Love God and love your neighbour' - all divine laws are encompassed by these two commands/wishes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.