Netanyahu to US: Don't Second Guess Me on Hamas

From the AP (via ABC News):

Following the quick collapse of the cease-fire in Gaza, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the White House not to force a truce with Palestinian militants on Israel.

Sources familiar with conversations between Netanyahu and senior U.S. officials, including Secretary of State John Kerry, say the Israeli leader advised the Obama administration “not to ever second guess me again” on the matter. The officials also said Netanyahu said he should be “trusted” on the issue and about the unwillingness of Hamas to enter into and follow through on cease-fire talks.

The Obama administration on Friday condemned “outrageous” violations of an internationally brokered Gaza cease-fire by Palestinian militants and called the apparent abduction of an Israeli soldier a “barbaric” action.

Just to remind you who we are dealing with here:

From the Hamas Covenant:

Introduction: …Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it" (The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

Article Fifteen:

The day that enemies usurp part of Moslem land, Jihad becomes the individual duty of every Moslem. In face of the Jews’ usurpation of Palestine, it is compulsory that the banner of Jihad be raised…

It is necessary that scientists, educators and teachers, information and media people, as well as the educated masses, especially the youth and sheikhs of the Islamic movements, should take part in the operation of awakening (the masses).** It is important that basic changes be made in the school curriculum, to cleanse it of the traces of ideological invasion that affected it **as a result of the orientalists and missionaries who infiltrated the region following the defeat of the Crusaders at the hands of Salah el-Din (Saladin)…

Article Thirty-Two:

World Zionism, together with imperialistic powers, try through a studied plan and an intelligent strategy to remove one Arab state after another from the circle of struggle against Zionism, in order to have it finally face the Palestinian people only. Egypt was, to a great extent, removed from the circle of the struggle, through the treacherous Camp David Agreement. They are trying to draw other Arab countries into similar agreements and to bring them outside the circle of struggle.

The Islamic Resistance Movement calls on Arab and Islamic nations to take up the line of serious and persevering action to prevent the success of this horrendous plan, to warn the people of the danger eminating from leaving the circle of struggle against Zionism. Today it is Palestine, tomorrow it will be one country or another. The Zionist plan is limitless. After Palestine, the Zionists aspire to expand from the Nile to the Euphrates. When they will have digested the region they overtook, they will aspire to further expansion, and so on. Their plan is embodied in the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion”, and their present conduct is the best proof of what we are saying…

Article Thirty-Four:

Palestine is the navel of the globe and the crossroad of the continents. Since the dawn of history, it has been the target of expansionists. The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, had himself pointed to this fact in the noble Hadith in which he called on his honourable companion, Ma’adh ben-Jabal, saying: O Ma’ath, Allah throw open before you, when I am gone, Syria, from Al-Arish to the Euphrates. Its men, women and slaves will stay firmly there till the Day of Judgement. Whoever of you should choose one of the Syrian shores, or the Holy Land, he will be in constant struggle till the Day of Judgement."

So it seems that from their founding charter, Hamas has no interest in peace.

It seems as if Hamas’ fundamental purpose is the destruction of the State of Israel. It seems that they are calling each and every Muslim in the world to join them in the effort to destroy Israel. It seems as if Hamas wants the youth to be taught so that they will agree with that goal (the destruction of Israel). It seems that they have declared that Muslims who cooperate with Israel are just as much their enemies as Israel, itself.

How is a country’s leader supposed to deal with an adversary who states that its fundamental purpose is his country’s destruction?

Yes, that’s exactly what Hamas wants, and yet Israel is the one likened to Nazi Germany.

That Israel, of all countries, should be likened to Nazi Germany is offensive. (Did someone actually make that specific comparison?) Yet the tragic loss of innocent life, children and adults, in Gaza must end, much as I support Israel’s goal of destroying Hamas’ military functionality. AFAIK there has never been a viable military solution to war. The problem for Israel (and the Palestinians) is how can it negotiate in good faith with a terrorist organization bent on its annihilation? Netanyahu, for all his hardline political approach regarding the settlements and the occupation, understands this.

I really don’t think 1 can negotiate with a terrorist group for starters, especially with one who is spineless, and heartless like Hamas, Yes, the PM words might be a little too strong but I don’t blame him for being direct and aggressive with Hamas.

Israel will do what it feels it needs to do. That being said, I am very disappointed in Obama deciding it is our place to resupply Israel with ammo.

Hamas is Israel’s problem not the U.S.'s.

Al quida and muslim extremist are our problem…How much military aid has Israel contributed in the war against terrorist plaguing the world outside its own borders?

You don’t consider Hamas to be a Muslim extremist organization?

Loads, a lot of new technology has come from Israel regards new type of weapons, fighter planes etc, all has been shared with the U.S and in doing so the U.S has and can become more effective in dealing with the nuts around the world, modern hardware, drones etc is a big advantage to have and goodness knows what else we don’t know about.

@Meltzerboy- Haven’t you been reading the news? The Turkish PM and some guy in Iran have both likened Israel to Nazis. At the same time anti -:mad:semitism has been sweeping over Europe with protesters screaming “death to Jews” and “Jews to the ovens”. They have defaced synagogues and in France even held Jews captive there by surrounding the place with a vicious mob.

Unfortunately, they have, i.e., it is not something I have overheard myself (or I would give them an earful), but it’s been iterated by political figures from the Middle East and Turkey.

Yet the tragic loss of innocent life, children and adults, in Gaza must end, much as I support Israel’s goal of destroying Hamas’ military functionality. AFAIK there has never been a viable military solution to war. The problem for Israel (and the Palestinians) is how can it negotiate in good faith with a terrorist organization bent on its annihilation? Netanyahu, for all his hardline political approach regarding the settlements and the occupation, understands this.

I understand completely, and believe me when I say there are many others who commiserate with Israel’s position, although at present their voices are drowned out by the usual suspects.

Not one with ambition or ability to threaten US

I would think that a quick read through the extracts of the Hamas Covenant that I posted in #1, above, would satisfy most that Hamas fits squarely in with the “Muslim Extremist” camp.

But, what do I know?:shrug:

Israel signals scaling down Gaza war operation ti.me/1pPS9Po

This conflict has brought out surprisingly strong emotions, and the outrageous claims they inspire. Even here at CAF, we have even seen the Israel=Nazis argument made.

Netanyahu realizes the U. S. does not have his back.
He knows how weak Obama’s leadership is when it comes to Israel.

John Kerry is not someone I would want either trying to do any type of negotiations if I were Netanyahu.

[size=2]

. (Did someone actually make that specific comparison?) Yet the tragic loss of innocent life, children and adults, in Gaza must end, much as I support Israel’s goal of destroying Hamas’ military functionality. AFAIK there has never been a viable military solution to war. The problem for Israel (and the Palestinians) is how can it negotiate in good faith with a terrorist organization bent on its annihilation? Netanyahu, for all his hardline political approach regarding the settlements and the occupation, understands this.

I was called a zionazi just recently from another online website. Together with some other profanities from the Turkish language. [/size]

Netanyahu is wrong to allow the bombing of civilians in Gaza. He does not intend for civilians to be killed,but he is still allowing it to happen,on the excuse that they are used as shields by militants hiding among them.

Hello? They are in a military conflict.

If what you say should be considered a fundamental principle of the laws of war (do not strike a military facility if civilian persons may be hit), then every unscrupulous adversary is going to locate all of his arms depots, military barracks, and command and control facilities in the middle of civilian neighborhoods. That would render them more invincible than any defensive system.

Let me give you an example of what the actual law of war says (from Geneva IV, 1949):

Art. 19. The protection to which civilian hospitals are entitled shall not cease unless they are used to commit, outside their humanitarian duties, acts harmful to the enemy. Protection may, however, cease only after due warning has been given, naming, in all appropriate cases, a reasonable time limit and after such warning has remained unheeded…

So the thing is that the Geneva Conventions call for the minimization of civilian casualties, but the warring parties are also obliged by international law to not violate their protected status by using them as shields for their military.

Consider this from the 1991 Iraq war (LA Times, Feb 1991):

…Kelly said it was “bizarre” that Iraqi civilians would be placed at a military site. He repeatedly insisted, “We’re sure that it was a military command-and-control facility.” He rejected any suggestion that the deaths represented an intelligence failure in that U.S. officials were unaware that the facility contained civilians.

“We can’t detect everything,” he said. “They could have gone in after dark last night when we weren’t up there looking. We had the airplane (already) scheduled to come in to bomb it. But I think the overriding fact is . . . that it was a military facility and that’s why it was bombed.”

The safest place for the people of Iraq, Kelly said, “is home in their beds, because we’re not bombing neighborhoods–we’re bombing buildings that are military command-and-control facilities.”

Iraq has moved antiaircraft guns onto apartment buildings and placed military transmitters in schools and other civilian structures, military officials have said. In addition, they said Wednesday, an estimated 50 Iraqi military aircraft have been moved to civilian areas and to archeologically significant sites.

So what happened is that Iraq placed military capacity in civilian areas. Then when the allies bombed the military facilities, the Iraqis led journalists around by their noses and talked about how horrible America is by targeting civilians.

The same exact thing is going on here in Gaza.

I feel for the poor civilians there, being used as defensive shields by Hamas troops, but the fact of the matter is that these poor civilians elected Hamas as their government. So it’s not like they are some rogue group that came in and dominated these people. This is what they voted for.

I agree with much of what you say, and I certainly support Israel in time of war, but how strange, it seems to me, is your last statement that the “poor civilians” elected Hamas as their leaders and since this is whom they voted for, the implication is they are getting what they deserve. Surely you cannot literally mean that ALL Palestinian civilians support Hamas and elected them, which would include the children who were killed. And surely they do not ALL approve of having their families, including their wives and children, serve as human shields! Or do you believe ALL Palestinians are of the same mindset?

Obviously, I am not saying that “they got what they deserve”

Surely you understand that the situation here is distinctly different than, say, Iraq, where you have a civilian populace that was overrun.

Even if left alone, Hamas cannot do as much damage to Israel as Israel has done to Gaza. This violates proportionality and therefore Israel is acting unjustly. Israel does not believe in proportionality but Catholics should follow the Church, not the Israeli government on this moral issue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.