Netherlands becomes latest country to reject China-made coronavirus test kits, gear

Spanish health officials have recommended that physicians stop all use of rapid response coronavirus test kits after a batch bought from China failed to identify contagious people.
The Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology issued the recommendation after it was revealed that test kits from the Chinese firm Bioeasy presented a sensitivity of 30%, meaning that only 30% of those who have COVID-19 tested positive for it. Most tests, including rapid influenza tests in the United States, require a minimum sensitivity of 80%.
Spain purchased more than 640,000 coronavirus test kits from China and South Korea, which deliver results in 10 to 15 minutes. It is not clear how many of those tests were from Bioeasy, but the firm has sold kits to several other countries, including Georgia.

1 Like

The communist regime has been using “donations” as a way to salvage its reputation. But given the constant stream of news of faulty equipment in addition to its propaganda outlets blaming the recipients of such “aid” while claiming to be better than everyone else and claiming everyone else is failing in a lecturing tone, it’s hard to believe they’ll be able to turn the tide of growing anger at the regime around the world.

India’s main medical research organisation has asked states to pause the use of rapid testing kits over concerns that they are faulty.

India imported almost one million kits from China to ramp up testing.

Several other countries have reported problems with kits from China, but Beijing has denied quality issues.

2 Likes
1 Like

Imagine the chaos had we used 30% inaccurate testing kits.

1 Like

What do you imagine?

@Cathoholic, a slight correction to your initial post…it’s not a sensibility of 30%. It’s a sensitivity of 30%.

This is a caution to rushing these kits to market. We want them so badly and we need them so badly that we rush to buy them…try to verify their results and they fail. So much for trust in Chinese quality. We already realize our mistake in depending so much on them for just about everything these days. Of course in a pandemic, they are going to supply themselves first, causing shortages for everyone else. We would do the same!

We are now seeing the real cost of saving all that money on their cheaper manufacturing! Can we admit that we need to be manufacturing at least some proportion of medicines, medical equipment, chemical manufacturing back to the US or at the least, free world countries? Sometimes corporate profits are not in our best interest.

PattyIt . . .

@Cathoholic, a slight correction to your initial post…it’s not a sensibility of 30%. It’s a sensitivity of 30%.

True enough PattyIt. Well stated.

1 Like

Those who incorrectly tested negative might unknowingly spread the virus, while incorrect positive tests might ruin the victims lives with mininformation.
You did a good job asking me to expand on my statement. Thank you!

1 Like

More so than those untested?

How would lives be ruined?

@1cthlctrth . .

Those who incorrectly tested negative might unknowingly spread the virus,

@dvdjs . . .

More so than those untested?

I am disappointed you would ask that dvdjs.

I have explained it to you before.
But for lurkers here it is again.

If you get told your test is POSITIVE
when you ARE POSITIVE
(a true positive test),
you go home and recover (under the phone care of your physician).
You don’t expose other people.
Especially people who have comorbidities.

If you get told your test is NEGATIVE
when you ARE really POSITIVE
(a false negative test),
you don’t stay home and recover (under the phone care of your physician).
You go to the grocery store.
You go to the hardware store.
You go to the gas station.
You drive your semi-truck and carry the cargo.
You now expose other people.
Especially people who have comorbidities.

They of course in some cases die (answering your second question that is likewise a disappointment) . . . .

1cthlctrth . . .

incorrect positive tests might ruin the victims lives with mininformation.

dvdjs . . .

How would lives be ruined?

Good one. I’m sure you’d be thrilled if you had to turn your life upside down for 2 weeks (quarantine) if you errantly tested positive.

1 Like

If I tested positive and isolated for two weeks only to discover that it was I false positive, I would be happy to have avoided the disease.

Every test is developed with false positives and false negatives in mind. Which is more important? To make sure a positive is detected? Then often the test will skew to false positives. Is it more important to rule out the disease? Then it will skew to false negatives. It’s a balance and in a perfect world it would have no false positives or negatives. At least our testing now is quite good and the false results are quite low for both!

An example…when the HIV test was first developed, the medical community was so concerned with identifying positives that the tests were developed to skew negative. The reason? The diagnosis was so devastating and carried so much negative baggage…loss of jobs…no cure…that the medical community wanted to make sure that if the called someone positive, they were positive. But, they also emphasized that they could still be in the undetected window of the test and continue to use precautions! Flu tests for A and B are the opposite. Whether you test pos or neg makes no difference in treatment so a false positive isn’t as big an issue but a false negative means you go back to work while still infective…so few false negatives but higher false positives. It’s a statistics game until there is a perfect test!

dvdjs on a false positive for himself. . . .

If I tested positive and isolated for two weeks only to discover that it was I false positive, I would be happy to have avoided the disease.

Yes but so what?

Someone else might not be so happy as there are others who may depend on their working to eat.

That’s great that you would be “happy” with a wrong test result for yourself.

May you always be happy dvdjs.

But others might not be.

1 Like

Once again…

Last week, Ottawa revealed that it had suspended shipment of millions of Chinese-made masks because they failed to meet the required specifications.

Of the 11.5 million N95 masks received so far, Ottawa says one million have been found to meet federal standards.

1 Like

Compare and contrast:

A test to find out whether people have been infected with coronavirus in the past has been approved by health officials in England.

Public Health England said the antibody test, developed by Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche, was a “very positive development”.

If someone had not caught coronavirus then it gave the correct result more than 99.8% of the time.

[Note: all well-calibrated instruments can still give false results so 99.8% isn’t something to scoff at]

Whereas the ones China’s communist regime rushed to sell (which they claimed to have “donated”) to save their reputation after their cover ups didn’t even pass evaluation stage.

2 Likes

I wonder if people who wouldn’t mind a false positive test have anyone that depends on them.

14 days is a heavy chunk of quarantined time to miss for those of us with responsibilities.

14 unnecessary days away from family members, friends, employees and employers who depend on us.

1 Like

Netherlands, UK, Spain, India, Canada, now Denmark.

Denmark has ordered a total of 1.4 million kits from Chinese supplier Livzon to be used for research purposes, said Danish Regions, a government organisation tasked with ensuring the quality of the Danish healthcare system.

In late April, health authorities in India recommended not using testing equipment bought from two Chinese suppliers due to quality issues, including kits from Guangzhou Wondfo Biotech and Zhuhai Livzon Diagnostics.

1 Like

ATraveller . . .

Netherlands, UK, Spain, India, Canada, now Denmark.

And to think.

Some people (even here) were insistent upon buying these tests and using them on Americans.

Can you imagine the criticism (from those same “demaders” even) against our own country and especially against President Trump if we had made that mistake and bought and used those poorly made tests from China??!!

Beats me why people trust such a nasty regime.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.