"Never be afraid of tenderness" Pope Francis new interview with La Stampa

This is not the full interview, but a summary from La Stampa.

lastampa.it/2013/12/14/esteri/vatican-insider/en/never-be-afraid-of-tenderness-5BqUfVs9r7W1CJIMuHqNeI/pagina.html

Here are some important bits:

In response to the criticism he received after the publication of the “Evangelii Gaudium” from ultraconservatives in the US who accused him of being a “Marxist”, the Pope remarks: “Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended.” But, he points out, “there is nothing in the Exhortation that cannot be found in the social Doctrine of the Church.”

Regarding the subject of remarried divorcees, Francis recalls that their exclusion from communion is “not a sanction” and confirms that these issues will be dealt with in greater depth at the next Synod.

Francis flatly denies allegations that he intends to nominate women cardinals, stating: “I don’t know where any such an idea came from. Women in the Church must be valued not “clericalised”.”

What exactly does the Pope mean when he says:

"Regarding the subject of remarried divorcees, Francis recalls that their exclusion from communion is ‘not a sanction’ " ?

I read it as saying that the exclusion of remarried divorcees from communion is not, or should not be seen as, a punishment.

Maybe when we get the full interview it will be more clear.

Francis flatly denies allegations that he intends to nominate women cardinals, stating: “I don’t know where any such an idea came from. Women in the Church must be valued not “clericalised”.”

What are the bets that this will not be reported in great quantity? :wink:

I don’t know who does the translating over there, but whoever it is needs to be fired.

(Supposedly) the original language:L’unica citazione specifica è stata per le teorie della “ricaduta favorevole”, secondo le quali ogni crescita economica, favorita dal libero mercato, riesce a produrre di per sé una maggiore equità e inclusione sociale nel mondo.
The English translation from La Stampa:The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world.
The actual translation:The only specific citation I used was about the theories of “favorable relapse” (NB: I believe that this is the Italian idiom for “trickle down”), by which every economic expansion, encouraged by the free market, will, per se, succeed in producing an greater fairness (or “equity”) and social inclusion in the world.
By the way, the term, in Italian, for “social justice” is “giustizia sociale” – a completely different term and concept than “equità”

(And by the way, his reaction to the idea of female cardinals was a lot more pointed than what was reported in the English so-called translation). He said, È una battuta uscita non so da dove.

Literally, “it’s a joke and I don’t know where the exit is.”

As far as specific comments about the interview:

He makes a statement about not wasting food – recycling it – we could feed so many people.

I agree, in concept, with what he’s saying. It is a shame that so much food is thrown away and wasted. Sadly, leftists in the world like that situation and want it that way.

For example, the global warming fanatic leftists in the world could not possibly care less how many people starve because of the environmentalist demand that we process more corn into ethanol for vehicles rather than use that corn to feed the poor around the world. That policy makes food (not just grain, but grain fed meat) more expensive for people in this country and makes it so we can’t either give corn meal to the poor in other countries or sell it at a reasonable price (for those who aren’t quite so desperate). And now they are doubling down on it: with raising the percentage of ethanol from 10% to 15%.

For another example, consider that many cities, ruled by leftists, do not allow food contributions to the homeless. For example, Michael Bloomberg will not allow food contributions to homeless shelters in New York, because he can’t be sure if the contributions have too much sodium. Many cities, including Los Angeles and Philadelphia, will not allow food sharing programs for the homeless. Last time I checked, Garcetti and Nutter weren’t exactly “conservatives.”

Shoot, in my own parish, the food pantry will only accept donations that are straight from the store. They won’t allow us to go through our pantry and donate what we deem to be excess. I guess we’re supposed to throw that away.

I would dearly love it if restaurants were allowed to donate the food they have at the end of the night to a shelter rather than throw it away. I would dearly love it if grocery stores were able to take produce that was approaching the end of its salable life and give it away. That would be an AWESOME show of solidarity between people.

But they just aren’t allowed to do so in our statist society.

The link I posted in my OP originally went to a summary of the interview, and it now goes to the full interview.

Just wanted clarify.

That is not correct. A literal translation of the sentence would be “It’s a line that came from I know not where”. “Battuta” can mean either “joke” or “line” (as in a line spoken in a play), and it is probably the latter sense that was meant. The English translation (“I don’t know where such an idea came from”) was reasonably accurate.

Yeah, it is correct. Sorry to tell you. Unless you think the Holy Father was talking about the left playing some “kabuki theater” with the expected lines that they would read.

I don’t get why he said there is not a sanction against remarried people receiving communion.

I’m glad the Pope clarified this explicitly. It might also help if those interpreting his exhortation did not assume that if he is critical of parts of one economic theory that he necessarily supports its theoretical opposite.

He said that the Communion exclusion isn’t a penalty for remarried couples. They are not being punished, as some may feel. But because of the Sacrament and the Church’s teaching on marriage, that long-held disciplne remains.

It is a way of saying, you aren’t being punushed, but your situation makes you unable to rceive righ now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.