Never hunger and never thirst?

What did Jesus mean by those that eat His flesh and drink His Blood shall never hunger and never thirst?

Haydock Commentary John 6

Ver. 36. You demand this bread; behold it is before you, and yet you eat it not. I am the bread; to believe in me is to eat me. You see me, but you believe not in me. (St. Augustine)
β€” It is to this place that those words of St. Augustine are to be referred: β€œWhy do you prepare your teeth and belly? believe in me, and you have eaten me.” Words which do not destroy the real presence, of which he is not speaking in this verse. (Maldonatus, 35.)
β€” Jesus Christ leads them gradually to this great mystery, which he knows will prove a stumbling block to many. The chapter begins with the miraculous multiplication of the loaves; then Christ walking on the sea; next he blames the Jews for following him not through faith in his miracles, but for the loaves and fishes, and tells them to labour for that nourishment which perishes not, by believing in Him, whom the Father had sent; and then promises, that what their fathers had received in figure only, the manna, the faithful shall receive in reality; his own body and blood.

Also note that it means salvation. John 6

40 This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.”

Blaise Pascal said: β€œThere is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of each man which cannot be satisfied by any created thing but only by God the Creator, made known through Jesus Christ.”

That is the spiritual longing for God expressed as hunger and thirst. It is a restlessness that cannot be satisfied, except by having a relationship with God.

It is my prayer at the consecration at mass, that those who do not yet, will experience that hunger and thirst, and come looking for Jesus in the Eucharist.

2 Likes

He means spiritually. In a spiritual sense, He is the bread of life.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.