New Advent's (The/a Catholic Encyclopedia) has many different urls all to the real site?

The below is from the first two pages of my bing search of the word newadvent. They all say they are New Advent and take the site’s layout and scheme and favicon, at least the several I checked did.

[SIGN]newadvent.org
newadvent.org/cathen
campus.newadvent.org
blog.newadvent.org
wwww.newadvent.org
ww.newadvent.org
www.newadvent.org/bible (is this one the real one?)
hwww.newadvent.org
www.newadvent.org/
mwww.newadvent.org
my.newadvent.org
2000www.newadvent.org
222.newadvent.org/index.html[/SIGN]

Is it that new advent is so big it needs like 20 backup urls or is there some sort of scheme against reading the real encyclopedia and it’s homepage news section, and the old church documents going on?

[quote="Jeabriz, post:1, topic:266460"]
The below is from the first two pages of my bing search of the word newadvent. They all say they are New Advent and take the site's layout and scheme and favicon, at least the several I checked did.

[SIGN]newadvent.org
newadvent.org/cathen
campus.newadvent.org
blog.newadvent.org
wwww.newadvent.org
ww.newadvent.org
www.newadvent.org/bible (is this one the real one?)
hwww.newadvent.org
www.newadvent.org/
mwww.newadvent.org
my.newadvent.org
2000www.newadvent.org
222.newadvent.org/index.html[/SIGN]

Is it that new advent is so big it needs like 20 backup urls or is there some sort of scheme against reading the real encyclopedia and it's homepage news section, and the old church documents going on?

[/quote]

This is quite common. Most of those are guards against typos or obvious subdomains.

Yep. I did a WHOIS search on a few of them, and the domains are registered to Kevin Knight. He is often credited with bringing the old Catholic Encyclopedia to the web.

While Googling, I also found a few more domains similar to the ones listed by the OP. They too were registered by Kevin Knight.

Thanks.

They’re all the same domain folks.

The newadvent.org is the domain name, and the text before that is the subdomain.
The subdomain is not registered independently, it comes with the hosting account which many offer virtually unlimited subdomains. So you can have blogs.mydomain.com
or email.mydomain.com or video.mydomain.com or forums.mydomain.com

For example, this domain - catholic.com has a subdomain called forums, which probably points to www.catholic.com/forum/… One can host subdomains on different servers though, even halfway across the world, I think.

www.newadvent.org/index.html
and
www.newadvent.org
point to the same page.
Your browser automatically loads the page /index.html or default.html, or index.htm or default.htm depending on which is found in the directory.

For Whois info on newadvent.org see:
whois.domaintools.com/newadvent.org

I see one can purchase newadvent.us if one wants to and point it to newadvent.org.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.