New age

Pax!
I’ve been listening to Sharon Lee Giganti on Catholic Answers Live Radio. She talks about new age but only once mentioned vegetarianism after I asked her a question about it. She didn’t really think vegetarianism makes it difficut for new agers to accept Christianity. She may be right but I am not extremely sure. Many new agers listen to hindu gurus so they often beleive in reincarnation and that it is wrong to kill animals. They sometimes state very clearly that Jesus wasn’t really into meat even though he sometimes ate it. Some say vegetarianism was taken out of the Bible texts. Vegetarianism seems to be a big part of new age. Now I don’t know how many new agers there are who are not into vegetarianism. A new ager would definitively need to learn how to accept that meating is ok. Vegetarianism seem even to be anti-Catholic. What are your thoughts on this topic?

Good Evening Henrikhank: I am a Catholic and a vegetarian, and have been for a long time. I don’t think that making a decision on eating meat or not eating it is necessarily a religious decision. For me, I just happen to be a Catholic who thinks the idea of having carcasses moving through my gut is repulsive. I don’t tell other people what to eat though. It’s a personal decision. On another note, I don’t have all the health problems that my friends have all developed over time, and I look considerably younger than my friends who are the same age, and it’s not hereditary because the gene pool I come from is really bad. Is this because I’m vegetarian? Maybe so, maybe not. But I’m happy about the outcome anyway, and very happy about not eating animals.

Thank you,
Gary

I believe the Carthusian and Cistercian religious orders follow a vegetarian diet.

To be or not to be a vegetarian to me seems just a personal choice of diet. In many poor countries today they are restricted to non-meat diets such as rice and beans because of their poverty. Many other places face starvation. I understand that we our blest, beyond measure, in Western First World countries and thereby face the duty of sharing from our superabundance. However, I have actually heard a Catholic speaker that came to our parish, obviously a vegetarian herself, state “if you eat meat you are not a Christian.” She based this on the fact that so many resources, in terms of animal food, etc, are used to obtain meat as opposed to the same amount of vegetarian diet. The ENTIRE content of her talk was about vegetarianism and how meat cannot, and she stressed cannot, be a Christian option. As the teaching office of the Church states nothing about vegetarianism I thought her strongly stated pontificating was very inappropriate and wondered why the adult religious education committee ever even invited her. I had a friend who developed adult onset diabetes. She had been a vegetarian since her late teen years. This was not for any religious or philosophical reason. She simply developed an aversion to meat. When she developed diabetes her doctor told her that because of her diabetes she “could no longer afford the luxury of being a vegetarian.” She was offended and did not listen to his advice. Within ten years she first lost both of her legs to amputation, and finally lost her life when she went into a comma alone in her apartment. I share this in support of the above post linking personal health as a very important factor to be considered in any such decision.

I personally like meat very much and would absolutely never be a vegetarian. And I see how maybe vegetarianism is a characteristic of those modernist “new age” wackos. However, like mentioned above, one can be a Catholic and vegetarian perfectly finw. The choice to not eat meat has absolutely nothing to do with spirituality.

On a side note any type of modernist “new age” garbage is absolutely disgusting, evil, messed-up, wrong, and false. It must be AVOIDED COMPLETELY.

All versions of the New Age tell you two things: A) You are God, and B) The devil is your god.

Get a copy of Dark Secrets of the New Age by Texe Marrs. Vegetarianism is a health matter, and is not, as usually practiced, anti-Catholic.

Peace,
Ed

1. not sure what you mean by Hindu Gurus… The leaders of the Sikh faith are called gurus, named after the founder, Guru Nanak. They are not bound by vegetarianism. Hindus, of course, are. Jainists (off the top of my head), are, also.

2. vegetarianism most definitely is not connected to New-Age-y stuff. True, many of those people embrace vegetarianism, but many don’t. I have found that most vegetarians don’t become that way because of quasi-religiousness, but because they find killing animals for food cruel, especially the events surrounding the animals’ death in the slaughterhouse.

Don’t worry, they are dead. To eat them (the ones with blood) alive, like starting to chew a leg or something, that would be wrong. I eat meat on occasions only.
We like meat because the fat taste good. Our taste feel good when we eat lots of calories, things that are low calories does not have fulness of taste:(
Fasting and abstinence remind us that we eat in order to live, and not the other way.:slight_smile:

?
It wouldn’t occur to me to link vegetarianism to religion like this.
I know many Christians who are vegetarian, I know many “New Agers” as you call them who eat meat.
Many people think it is wrong to kill/eat animals but it has nothing to do with a specific religion.
Hindu is not “New Age” as you may know–it is older than Christianity.
Most vegetarians accept that other people eat meat, just as I hope you would accept that some people don’t eat meat.

Vegetarianism seems anti-Catholic!!! Um…no…

This is so not correct.

I’ve studied this subject intensely. I’ve even been to a few places where I saw certain things. A symbol above a doorway, which I located elsewhere, and identified. People chanting in front of a statue of Jesus on one side and Buddha on the other. I checked one of my reference books and located the origin of the chant. They were selling tape recordings of Jesus speaking. They’ve relabeled the occult as New Age. Demonic entities are now “spirit guides.” Actress Shirley MacLaine stated in her book: “I AM God.” At “best,” they will turn you away from Christianity, at worst, you will end up worshipping a being or beings that are satanic, and finally, “the real Christ” under various names like Lord Maitreya, and others.

Peace,
Ed

Vegetarianism can be stupid because reincarnation is stupid. People who think killing animals and humans are nearly the same can’t be extremly catholic.

Good Evening Ed: I am not familiar with any largely followed religions that teaches that the devil is your God. Can you explain who you are referring to?

Thank you,
Gary

Good evening Henrihank: Thank you for the very artful elucidation on vegetarianism and also on other faith traditions. You are a powerful emissary of our faith here on this inter-religious forum.

Thank you,
Gary

From Ion: To eat them (the ones with blood) alive, like starting to chew a leg or something, that would be wrong.

Good Evening Ion: Why would that be wrong? I am interested to know where you draw your lines.

Thank you,
Gary

Bad news for Vegetarians:

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2677858/Bad-news-vegetarians-Plants-hear-eaten.html

But seriously, St. Peter and St. Paul made it perfectly clear that Christians can eat anything, even sacrificed meat.

Peter:

Peters vision: Acts 10:9-17: “On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of four-footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air, And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, what God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. This was done thrice; and the vessel was received up again into heaven. Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon’s house, and stood before the gate.”

Paul:

Rom 14:2 states, **“For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only ****vegetables."**It was a matter of faith and practice. Paul gives the principle that those who have the freedom can eat what they want (even meat that was dedicated to an idol (1 Cor. 8:4-13). But we should not exercise this freedom if it will stumble those who do not feel they have that freedom, they lack faith (or simply choose not to).

1 Cor. 10:27-31: “If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. But if anyone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience’ sake- the other man’s conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another’s conscience? If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for? So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

Paul goes as far as to say that this is more than legalism but demonic. 1 Tim 4:1-2: “Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, V:3-4 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.” Notice the word every is pas- meaning each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things, everything. ‘Nothing’ is to be refused- making the explanation as clear as possible. The element of faith is what gives one freedom to eat everything as they did in Noah’s day.

And lastly, from Hebrews:

Heb.13:9:** “Do not be lead away by diverse and strange teachings; for it is well that the heart be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited their adherents” **The writer is teaching us that people who promote special diets abstaining from certain foods like meats as a bible doctrine are bring one back under the old testament covenant- they are teaching diverse and strange teachings.

Hi Gary,

The apparently disconnected groups are all tied together but a good amount of research is needed to identify them. Most are not religions per se, but various groups who follow a particular individual who has laid out a new, “enlightened” path for mankind. They all lead to the same end - a false Christ. They also promote the idea, as satan whispered to Eve, that we will become gods.

H.P. Blavatsky, the founder of Theosophy, is at the top of the list.
The Rosicrucians
New Age “channelers”
David Spangler
Elizabeth Clare Prophet
Meister Eckhart von Hochheim
Goddess Worship
Ramtha (as channeled by a human being)
Arthur Clarke, scientist and science-fiction writer about our future where men “… will not be like gods, because no gods imagined by our minds have ever possessed the powers they will command.”
One world religion as taught by various New Age writers. And it won’t be Christian.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg

Peace,
Ed

Good Morning Ed: You had said that there were “New Age” sects that teach that the “devil is your God.” Do the people you listed above teach that their God or anyone’s God is the devil? The reason I am interested is that I’ve never heard that.

Thank you,
Gary

Good Morning Christine77: Of course in hindsight, modern humans are aware (as St Paul and the others you cited were not ), that it’s really not a good idea from a health standpoint to cram down anything that is put in front of you. Over time, such practices have consequences to our health. Moreover, there are considerable differences between the ways animals were raised and slaughtered in those days in comparison with today’s industrial slaughterhouse complexes. There was no such point of reference at the time. There is such a point of reference now, and I would offer that it’s up to each person to apply their best reasoning to current situations rather than to anachronize ideas from a time when things were quite different in many ways.

Thank You,
Gary

I would also encourage people to not look back fondly on a “golden age” of food production. There has never been a time in history where food production has been as plentiful, as clean and as healthy for people than right now. And right now pales in comparison to tomorrow. So perhaps, instead of being condescending towards scripture by saying that they had no idea, it should serve to realize that God’s words are eternal and not restrained by time. And, more to the point, if we weren’t supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.