New American bible revelation

Hey guys!

Today in CCD, we were reading our bibles (new American version). As I was flipping through the pages of revelation, I noticed there was a section that I have never seen before. I apologize as I do not remember the chapter but it could be either 17 or 18, the section was titled “the meaning of the whore and the beast”. It started out with something along the lines of “I was amazed at her. The angel asked ‘why are you amazed? I will show you what this vision means’” after that, the angel told the author, presumably John, that the empire once was but is now fallen, then saying that it was pagan Rome. The angel actually told him these things according to this paragraph. Forgive me, because I’m certainly not well read in terms of scripture, but I certainly don’t remember this being in revelation. Can someone help me, I believe it says in the last chapters of revelation: “if anyone adds to this book, let his name be blotted out of the book of life”.

Again I’m not an expert on the Bible so I may be completely wrong.

Thanks again!
A.J.

It’s in my copy, too. Is it in the notes or the main text?

It is in the main text. That is why it’s troubling. Is it in the main text of yours as well?

It’s in the notes in mine. Are you using the NAB or the NABRE? I’m using the NAB.

The section you are referring to is Revelation 17:9-18. The word “Rome” does not appear in the Bible text of the New American Bible. However, it does appear in the footnote commentary as the common understanding of “the great city” (verse 18) on “seven hills” (verse 9) which the Bible text says the woman represents.

The New American Bible includes many extra features intended to aid the study of the Bible, including a table of contents and page numbers, book titles, book introductions, the division of the text into chapters and verses, section headings, Bible cross-references, and footnote commentary. None of these extra features should be regarded as part of the inspired texts themselves.

It’s another terrible translation problem with the NAB. Here’s how the RSV-CE renders the same verse. Much more eloquently, using Biblical language, not high school lingo:

Rev 17: 6 And I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and the blood of the martyrs of Jesus.

When I saw her I marveled greatly. 7 But the angel said to me, “Why marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman, and of the beast with seven heads and ten horns that carries her.

I forget. I’m almost positive it’s the nab though. It’s my chirches copy so I don’t have it for reference right now.

Its not the translation that I’m confused about but the actual verse though. Was this actually said to John? I’m not very good with the Bible though. If this is truly in the bible, why do anti Catholics try to claim the Church is the whore of Babylon?

Thanks again.

“Rome” has been identified with the Roman Catholic Church, as well as with the pagan empire; some will claim that the RCC is simply the continuation of said empire, dressed up in pretend Christianity.

(I don’t hold this view, and neither do most Protestants these days.)

I see. Thank you.

These links should help clear things up for you.

[LIST]
]The Antichrist (Fathers)
*]Hunting the Whore of Babylon
*]The Whore of Babylon
[/LIST]
Additional study:

[LIST]
*]What Jesus Really Said About The End Of The World

*]Beginning Apologetics 8: What Catholics Believe about the Second Coming, the Rapture, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Indulgences
[/LIST]

If the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon, then the heavenly command of Revelation 18:4 can be used as justification for leaving the Catholic Church:
Come out of her, my people,
lest you take part in her sins,
lest you share in her plagues
On the other hand, if the Catholic Church is not the whore of Babylon, then there is no justification for leaving it. In fact, 1 John 2:4-5 refers to those who leave the Church as antichrists:
Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us.

Thank you! I obviously don’t have a very good understanding of the Bible.

Ok. I think I get it. :slight_smile:

what’s interesting, Rome & Jerusalem are cities with 7 hills. And Rome destroyed Jerusalem in 70 a.d.

IMO, the differences between the RSV and NABRE in these verses are minimal.

Why marvel? vs Why are you amazed? isn’t exactly pitting Shakespeare against the Swedish Chef.

Please note that these views suddenly appeared on earth over 1,400 years after the revelation to John. Rather suspicious, that bit.

1 John 1:1-4) No Pope, no teaching, no history of the Catholic Church has ever denied Christ in the flesh! A certain “reformer” claimed, rather emotionally and without thinking, that the Pope was the antichrist. This emotion has taken root in emotion-based religious groups.

1 John 1:1-4
[/quote]

) No Pope, no teaching, no history of the Catholic Church has ever denied Christ in the flesh! A certain “reformer” claimed, rather emotionally and without thinking, that the Pope was the antichrist. This emotion has taken root in emotion-based religious groups.

Of course! I know the argument that the pope is the antichrist is quite frankly stupid. My question was simply asking why do a-Cs try to claim that the church is the whore when it is obviously not.
That’s all. :slight_smile:
God bless

-A.J.

Well, there is the small matter of the scriptures:

2 Peter 3:15-17 (underlining mine)

15 And count the forbearance of our Lord as salvation. So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 speaking of this[a] as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, beware lest you be carried away with the error of lawless men and lose your own stability.

Note that nearly every error is a private reading and twisting of Paul’s words. Yet, no one ever thinks that Peter was writing about them. In any event, the Catholic haters (i.e. YouTube) rarely read Peter’s letters, since Paul rebuked him and caused Peter to no longer be an Apostle(?). Right.

They conveniently forget that Paul had timothy circumcised in order to avoid offending the Jews. No one yet has explained the difference here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.